I'm really scared.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SteRo

Re: I'm really scared.

Post by SteRo »

Crazy cloud wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:47 am ...
Crazy cloud wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:48 am But here it's about one who's suffering from unresolved moments of suffering and keeps on reliving the same experiences.
No. Here it is suffering from paying attention to thoughts after having watched a video that caused these thoughts. The video has already been watched, so there is no going back. And the video having been watched there arise these thoughts. So there is no way other than to deal with these thoughts. And one way to deal with them is not paying attention to them.
... There is an underlying tendency to return to watching the same kind of films. ...
Why should one watch again videos that cause thoughts that agitate? Your theories are strange.

The teaching is that simple: if one does not have the capacity to not pay attention to unskillful thoughts then one has to practice right effort to avoid such thoughts. There are several sutta dealing with right effort.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

Right effort is also to investigate by asking oneself questions. We are advised to ask teachers if one needs, and asking oneself is a skilled methode. To mindlessly hang onto dogma is a kind of clinging to rites and rituals.
In the first sermon of Buddha ir's clearly stated, so that's what I practice.
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

You have to realize that ultimately even your fear of hell is an illusion created by your conceptual mind. Apply your mindfulness/meditation practice to the fear and don't indulge in it. It sounds like you are in the habit of scaring yourself, like you don't want it, but keep doing it. Ultimately even hell is unreal and impermanent. Remember the buddha or compassion for others suffering in hell and you escape the self prison of being in hell.
MettaDevPrac

Post by MettaDevPrac »

Any life in hell is impermanent, and effort has effect.
If effort has effect, to what should you devote attention and energy?
What did Moggallana do, before and after he met the Buddha, and what were the results?
- MettaDevPrac
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:03 am If you are that scared, you must stop wasting time, and start to practice the dhamma! What are you doing?!
8 precepts, meditation, 8fold path, study, visiting monastery. Go!

Also it might be a good idea to go to the doctor and talk about anxiety.
James is wise, listen to him!

I'd also say, fear of going to hell often does not spur people to action but rather, despair. The Buddha's message is we can do something about it. Take action!
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

tamdrin wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:33 pm You have to realize that ultimately even your fear of hell is an illusion created by your conceptual mind. Apply your mindfulness/meditation practice to the fear and don't indulge in it. It sounds like you are in the habit of scaring yourself, like you don't want it, but keep doing it. Ultimately even hell is unreal and impermanent. Remember the buddha or compassion for others suffering in hell and you escape the self prison of being in hell.
Lord Buddha divulged that there are 31 planes or realms. Each realm is a destination of life of beings. The realm to be born or live is decided by karma. Hence if one fears to be born in the hell or in a lower realm it has to be taken note and care of.
It is this fear that has to motivate one to at least observe panca seela or the five precepts as one who honestly observe five precepts will never be borne in a lower sphere with suffering.
One who wants to get birth in a sphere of devas or brahmas should indulge in living a virtuous life of Dana seela and Bhavana.
binocular

Post by binocular »

kalyana.mitta wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:10 amI'm not sure what I'm asking for right now. I just wanted to see if it's just me or if anyone else has experienced such terrifying thoughts.
What you're describing sounds like scrupulosity -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrupulosity

- - -
tamdrin wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:33 pmYou have to realize that ultimately even your fear of hell is an illusion created by your conceptual mind.
Tell that to the Christians and Muslims!
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

tamdrin wrote: Ultimately even hell is unreal and impermanent.
hell is real
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
binocular

Post by binocular »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:03 amIf you are that scared, you must stop wasting time, and start to practice the dhamma! What are you doing?!
8 precepts, meditation, 8fold path, study, visiting monastery. Go!
Actually, in the case of scrupulosity, intensifying the religious/spiritual practice makes the scruples, the anxiety worse.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

binocular wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:27 pm Actually, in the case of scrupulosity, intensifying the religious/spiritual practice makes the scruples, the anxiety worse.
How interesting! Is this a proper identified phenomenon in psychology?
binocular

Post by binocular »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:35 pmHow interesting! Is this a proper identified phenomenon in psychology?
I provided a link to the Wiki article.
It's a specific religious issue. Much has been written about it from the Catholic perspective. The official Catholic stance is that scrupulosity is a form of religious OCD for which the sufferer is not to be blamed. But the inofficial insider Catholic perspective is that scrupulosity is what happens due to lack of faith -- when a person externally tries to be religious, goes through the motions with the religious practices, but lacks the faith in them.

This latter perspective seems to be relevant to other religions/spiritualities as well. It can explain how come things sometimes get worse for people despite their intensified commitment to the religious/spiritual practice.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

the string snaps if too tight, when it's slack it won't play
Coaching
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

cappuccino wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:46 pm
hell is real

not ultimately.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

tamdrin wrote:
cappuccino wrote:
hell is real

not ultimately.
ultimately not for Buddhists
Coaching
kalyana.mitta

Post by kalyana.mitta »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:35 am Greetings,

It’s probably best to stop watching videos about hell and to stop overly worrying about it. You don’t know what the future holds. If you keep your sila then you will find a pleasant abiding.

Metta

:)
Thanks. Is it still also wrong to watch these videos to get a fear of wrongdoing?
"Whatever treasure in this world or in other any worlds, whatever precious jewel there is in the heavens, none is equal to the Buddha. In the Buddha is this precious jewel. By there truth, may there be wellbeing."
:candle: Ratana Sutta | Sn 2.1 :candle: