Referring to the Buddha non-reverentially

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
salayatananirodha

Referring to the Buddha non-reverentially

Post by salayatananirodha »

[Split from the "Concepts" thread, — Dhammanando]

Sam Vara wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:03 pm It seems to be looking at the Mediaeval scholastic debate between realists and nominalists through Buddhist eyes.

Our man Gotama was a nominalist.
this is a non-reverential way of referring to the buddha
16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta

links:
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm
http://thaiforestwisdom.org/canonical-texts/
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-conte ... _Heart.pdf
https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
Sam Vara

Re: Concepts

Post by Sam Vara »

salayatananirodha wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:17 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:03 pm It seems to be looking at the Mediaeval scholastic debate between realists and nominalists through Buddhist eyes.

That's correct!
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:23 pm
salayatananirodha wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:17 pm

That's correct!
why refer to the buddha non-reverentially
16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta

links:
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm
http://thaiforestwisdom.org/canonical-texts/
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-conte ... _Heart.pdf
https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara »

salayatananirodha wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:31 am why refer to the buddha non-reverentially
This is an interesting question, but one which is off-topic and might be better served by starting a new thread.

The short answer is that nearly every reference I and others make to the Buddha here on DW is non-reverential, and I can't find anything against that in my precepts or the ToS.
JamesTheGiant

Re: Referring to the Buddha non-reverentially

Post by JamesTheGiant »

This came up in another topic too, about mocking a sutta.
I wasn't mocking that particular sutta, but I definitely mock suttas I find ridiculous.
For instance the sutta where the gods of the rain clouds get angry, and cause unusual rain! That's just about one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
The gods of the air become restless and cause unusual winds!
Ha!
May as well argue the world is flat.

As for reverence towards my main man Sid, or Siddy-G as we call him in my hood, I'll let the rest of you discuss that.
Peace out, suckas.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

salayatananirodha wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:17 pm [Split from the "Concepts" thread, — Dhammanando]

Which part? "Our man" or "nominalist"?

And by "non-reverential" do you mean "not expressing reverence" or "expressing irreverence"?
Svākkhātaṃ brahmacariyaṃ, sandiṭṭhikam’akālikaṃ,
Yattha amoghā pabbajjā, appamattassa sikkhato.

“The holy life is well proclaimed,
directly visible, immediate,
Where not in vain is the going forth
of one who trains heedfully.”
— Sela Sutta
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

If one sees no reason to be reverential it can be a ritual to behave reverentially and that may not be helpful, though that can be disrespectful which is not wholesome behaviour.

If one sees a reason to be reverential then the best way to express that is to walk the path.

It can be helpful to deconstruct the I conceit by recognising a superior authority.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

I think it has to do with intention and the individual understanding of what the Buddha is. Verbal expressions, while can be indicative of intentions, do not always reflect the state of mind behind them.

For example, when the Buddha referred to his body as vile, was he against revering his body?
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

I wouldn’t say it’s reverential but I wouldn’t say it’s disrespectful either.
“His deliverance, being founded upon truth, is unshakeable. For that is false, bhikkhu, which has a deceptive nature, and that is true which has an undeceptive nature—Nibbāna. Therefore a bhikkhu possessing this truth possesses the supreme foundation of truth. For this, bhikkhu, is the supreme noble truth, namely, Nibbāna, which has an undeceptive nature.

Dhātuvibhaṅga Sutta
MettaDevPrac

Post by MettaDevPrac »

sunnat wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:25 am If one sees no reason to be reverential it can be a ritual to behave reverentially and that may not be helpful, though that can be disrespectful which is not wholesome behaviour.

If one sees a reason to be reverential then the best way to express that is to walk the path.

It can be helpful to deconstruct the I conceit by recognising a superior authority.
:goodpost:
- MettaDevPrac
auto

Post by auto »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:27 am This came up in another topic too, about mocking a sutta.
I wasn't mocking that particular sutta, but I definitely mock suttas I find ridiculous.
For instance the sutta where the gods of the rain clouds get angry, and cause unusual rain! That's just about one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
The gods of the air become restless and cause unusual winds!
Ha!
May as well argue the world is flat.

As for reverence towards my main man Sid, or Siddy-G as we call him in my hood, I'll let the rest of you discuss that.
Peace out, suckas.
irony is that the post you made is a psychic lure.

*And flat earth example is pretty good since certain people like to gather around these topics and start ridicule, and that will invite even more people who delight on ridiculing and seeing it snowballing.

.. this theme keeps getting exposed more and more
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

auto wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:04 pm
irony is that the post you made is a psychic lure.
What's a " psychic lure" ? Is it something connected to fishing for ghosts, or Pokémon ?

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Just because you joke about something in the canon doesn't mean you aren't being reverential. Being too uptight can be a major obstacle in the practice, too.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

dharmacorps wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:47 pm Just because you joke about something in the canon doesn't mean you aren't being reverential. Being too uptight can be a major obstacle in the practice, too.
Absolutely, and an example of not being too uptight about the suttas is Bhikkhu Sujato's blog post:

"The Ten Funniest Scenes from the Pali Canon"

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

dharmacorps wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:47 pm Just because you joke about something in the canon doesn't mean you aren't being reverential. Being too uptight can be a major obstacle in the practice, too.
As Patrick Kearney likes to say (when encouraging experimentation, exploration, and play): "The Dharma is too important to be taken seriously."

:heart:
Mike