Why don't we re-collect on Brahama?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Devanussati (re-collection of Deva) is mentioned in the 40 meditation objects.

https://dhammawiki.com/index.php/40_meditation_subjects

“Then you should recollect the devas: “There are the Devas of the Four Great Kings, the Devas of the Thirty-three, the Devas of the Hours, the Contented Devas, the Devas who delight in creation, the Devas [Muses?] who wield power over the creations of others, the Devas of Brahmā’s Retinue, the devas beyond them. Whatever conviction they were endowed with, so that—when falling away from this life—they re-arose there, the same sort of conviction is present in me as well. Whatever virtue they were endowed with, so that—when falling away from this life—they re-arose there, the same sort of virtue is present in me as well. Whatever learning they were endowed with, so that—when falling away from this life—they re-arose there, the same sort of learning is present in me as well. Whatever generosity they were endowed with, so that—when falling away from this life—they re-arose there, the same sort of generosity is present in me as well. Whatever discernment they were endowed with, so that—when falling away from this life—they re-arose there, the same sort of discernment is present in me as well. At any time when a disciple of the noble ones is recollecting the conviction, virtue, learning, generosity, and discernment found both in himself and the devas, his mind is not overcome with passion, not overcome with aversion, not overcome with delusion. His mind heads straight, based on the (qualities of the) devas. And when the mind is headed straight, the disciple of the noble ones gains a sense of the goal, gains a sense of the Dhamma, gains joy connected with the Dhamma. In one who is joyful, rapture arises. In one whose mind is enraptured, the body grows calm. One whose body is calmed experiences ease. In one at ease, the mind becomes concentrated.

https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/AN/AN11_12.html

Why doesn't recollection of Brahama not mentioned?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Wizard in the Forest

Re: Why don't we re-collect on Brahama?

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

Hello Sarath, I hope your day is filled with ease.

The reason they are not typically mentioned is that Brāhmā are actually a type of Deva. It would be like saying "why are you not mentioning Nepalese as human, they are clearly human too." When we say Devānussati we mean recollection of the qualities of all Devatā including those in the Brahmāloka
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
Volo

Post by Volo »

They are indeed devas, for example:
Dhp wrote:200. Susukhaṃ vata jīvāma,
yesaṃ no natthi kiñcanaṃ;
Pītibhakkhā bhavissāma,
devā ābhassarā yathā.

Happy indeed we live, we who possess nothing. Feeders on joy we shall be, like the Radiant Gods.
Ābhassarā devas belong to the second jhāna realm (i.e. Brahma world).
char101

Post by char101 »

Both human and devas are in the kamaloka world, beings who enjoys pleasures in sense objects. So we can understand a bit about the happiness of devas. Brahmas are not in the realm of kama, they do not take pleasure in sense objects. I imagine it would be difficult to contemplate on something that we don't understand or have any experience.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

SarathW wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:54 pm Why doesn't recollection of Brahama not mentioned?
The Brahmā deities are mentioned. You quoted the passage yourself:

SarathW wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:54 pmthe Devas of Brahmā’s Retinue, the devas beyond them
Svākkhātaṃ brahmacariyaṃ, sandiṭṭhikam’akālikaṃ,
Yattha amoghā pabbajjā, appamattassa sikkhato.

“The holy life is well proclaimed,
directly visible, immediate,
Where not in vain is the going forth
of one who trains heedfully.”
— Sela Sutta
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Oh.
Thank you, :D Bhante.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”