Why do people like Dancing?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sam Vara

Re: Why do people like Dancing?

Post by Sam Vara » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:49 pm

Aloka wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:44 pm

What nonsense, I'm English and when I was a student, I used to dance to popular music with my friends - and none of us ever had sex after dancing!
I'm glad you posted that. I was beginning to think that I had missed out on some opportunities.

Not to mention seeing the local morris-men in a different light :jawdrop:

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:27 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:49 pm

....Not to mention seeing the local morris-men in a different light :jawdrop:
:rofl:

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:21 pm

Oh. I know how Sri Lakans learned that.
:twothumbsup:

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

polo

Post by polo » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:39 am

Aloka wrote:
polo wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:23 pm
Why? Haven't you heard what George Bernard Shaw the famous Irish intellectual said about dance?
He said, " A dance is an expression of a vertical desire for a horizontal expression".
In England many people make love after dancing I didn't know that until I went there.
And I said to the English lady, "Do I really have to do that?"
What nonsense, I'm English and when I was a student, I used to dance to popular music with my friends - and none of us ever had sex after dancing!

Hello Aloka, I was studying in London in 1973 until 1978. I remember very clearly many of us had sex after dancing, well, not all of course. You didn't have sex that's kind of strange.
Some of the overseas students really like to go to dances because they look forward to the sex after the dance. Again not all the time it happened.
If only I had the guidance of the Dhamma especially the Abhidhamma during my youth it would have done me a lot of good. I was foolish then or even now but at least now I am aware of my foolishness. That's the difference. Metta

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:32 am

polo wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:39 am

Hello Aloka, I was studying in London in 1973 until 1978. I remember very clearly many of us had sex after dancing, well, not all of course.
Well I guess it depends on the company one keeps and what kind of morals people have.
polo wrote: You didn't have sex that's kind of strange.
Is that the way you normally talk to women you don't even know? This conversation is becoming sleazy and offensive and is over.

Last edited by Aloka on Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:35 am

Aloka wrote:
polo wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:23 pm
Yes, I seem to remember the dancing per se wasn't what led to the sex, but the drugs and alcohol (often mass quantities!) that were involved. :smile:

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:15 am

Dancing can be a courtship ritual.
What is wrong with sex after dancing?.....is it any worse than having sex first and then dancing?
Is there some period of time which must pass after dancing and before sex that would make the sex more acceptable?....an hour...a day....a week....a month....how long?
chownah

Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:37 am

DNS wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:40 pm
I prefer the Theravada perspective on this, even if it is "dry."
The teachings are as dry as you want them to be :tongue:

I know a few Theravadan monks that are quite skilled in this kind of dance
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:46 pm

Crazy cloud wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:37 am
DNS wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:40 pm
I prefer the Theravada perspective on this, even if it is "dry."
The teachings are as dry as you want them to be :tongue:

I know a few Theravadan monks that are quite skilled in this kind of dance
I assumed the OP was referring to modern dance, as seen in that video in the OP.

Yes, tai chi is good. It is a martial art / mostly exercise. If you count that as "dance" then I suppose we could also count martial arts Forms, for example the moves done in the various belt ranking systems of karate, tae-kwon-do, Aikido, etc. I have done several of those.

chownah

Post by chownah » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:00 pm

I wonder what ulterior motives this group of sensual indulgents have.....

chownah

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:20 pm

chownah wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:00 pm

chownah
I don't know what it would be in the USA, but in Scotland, apparently, the ulterior motive might be to teach the children to perpetrate a religious hate crime.
... according to the Catholic Church and some Scottish politicians, singing the popular tune that begins with the words "You put your right hand in, your right hand out," may constitute an act of religious hatred.

A spokesman for the leader of the church in Scotland said the song had disturbing origins. Critics claim that Puritans composed the song in the 18th century in an attempt to mock the actions and language of priests leading the Latin mass.

Now politicians have urged police to arrest anyone using the song to "taunt" Catholics under legislation designed to prevent incitement to religious hatred. Supporters of Rangers FC have been banned from singing anti-Catholic songs at Ibrox stadium to taunt their rivals Celtic, a club with Catholic roots.

According to the church, the song's title derives from the words "hocus pocus". The phrase is said to be a Puritan parody of the Latin "hoc est enim corpus meum" or "this is my body" used by Catholic priests to accompany the transubstantiation during mass. Several years ago, a canon from Wakefield Cathedral said the dance came from the days when priests celebrated mass with their backs to the congregation and whispered the Latin words of consecration with many hand movements.
Doing the Hokey Cokey could be a Hate Crime

Some Glasgow Rangers supporters being hateful:

“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta

Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:03 pm

Bhante, you’re not serious are you? :rofl: Hokey Cokey hate crime :rofl:

Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:18 am

I’m from Glasgow and was raised Catholic. OMG Bhante you’ve made my day. I’m gonna call the police every time I hear this song 😂😂😂😂

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:36 am

Dhammanando wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:20 pm
chownah wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:00 pm

chownah
I don't know what it would be in the USA, but in Scotland, apparently, the ulterior motive might be to teach the children to perpetrate a religious hate crime.
... according to the Catholic Church and some Scottish politicians, singing the popular tune that begins with the words "You put your right hand in, your right hand out," may constitute an act of religious hatred.

A spokesman for the leader of the church in Scotland said the song had disturbing origins. Critics claim that Puritans composed the song in the 18th century in an attempt to mock the actions and language of priests leading the Latin mass.

Now politicians have urged police to arrest anyone using the song to "taunt" Catholics under legislation designed to prevent incitement to religious hatred. Supporters of Rangers FC have been banned from singing anti-Catholic songs at Ibrox stadium to taunt their rivals Celtic, a club with Catholic roots.

According to the church, the song's title derives from the words "hocus pocus". The phrase is said to be a Puritan parody of the Latin "hoc est enim corpus meum" or "this is my body" used by Catholic priests to accompany the transubstantiation during mass. Several years ago, a canon from Wakefield Cathedral said the dance came from the days when priests celebrated mass with their backs to the congregation and whispered the Latin words of consecration with many hand movements.
Doing the Hokey Cokey could be a Hate Crime

Some Glasgow Rangers supporters being hateful:

That’s why god didn’t give huns chance to win title
non-agitation is highest peace
living unaffected by other cause and condition to suffering is true bliss
not associating with stupid people is immediate peace
- CL (confused layman)

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:51 am

Meezer77 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:03 pm
Bhante, you’re not serious are you? :rofl: Hokey Cokey hate crime :rofl:
Just reporting the views of others. I'm nowhere near woke enough to be able to see how hateful hokey-cokey dancing is.
:jumping:

:focus:
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta