What is self view?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
kalyana.mitta

What is self view?

Post by kalyana.mitta » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:36 pm

I have read about self-view (Sakkhaya Ditthi) and the other fetters, but I can't get a hold on what self-view means. Also, what can you practice to get rid of self-view?

SteRo

Re: What is self view?

Post by SteRo » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:40 pm

There are self-identity views abandoned by sotapanna and self-view abandoned by arahant.
"He assumes feeling to be the self, or the self as possessing feeling, or feeling as in the self, or the self as in feeling. He assumes perception to be the self, or the self as possessing perception, or perception as in the self, or the self as in perception. He assumes fabrications to be the self, or the self as possessing fabrications, or fabrications as in the self, or the self as in fabrications. He assumes consciousness to be the self, or the self as possessing consciousness, or consciousness as in the self, or the self as in consciousness.

"This, monk, is how self-identity view comes about."
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... l#selfview

Here's a nice post by auto: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=35616&p=532488#p532488

kalyana.mitta

Post by kalyana.mitta » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:53 pm

SteRo wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:40 pm
"He assumes feeling to be the self, or the self as possessing feeling, or feeling as in the self, or the self as in feeling. He assumes perception to be the self, or the self as possessing perception, or perception as in the self, or the self as in perception. He assumes fabrications to be the self, or the self as possessing fabrications, or fabrications as in the self, or the self as in fabrications. He assumes consciousness to be the self, or the self as possessing consciousness, or consciousness as in the self, or the self as in consciousness.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... l#selfview
Here's a nice post by auto: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=35616&p=532488#p532488
:goodpost: :goodpost: thank you very much

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:33 pm

kalyana.mitta wrote: what can you practice to get rid of self-view?
Perceiving impermanence, bhikkhus, developed and frequently practiced, removes all sensual desire,
removes all desire for material existence, removes all desire for becoming, removes all ignorance, and
tears out all conceit of ’I am.’
Kindred Sayings, III, p. 132

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:51 pm

kalyana.mitta wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:36 pm
Also, what can you practice to get rid of self-view?
In the context of the 4NT, the aim of the practice is to end suffering, not to get rid of self view. Therefore, the relevance of self view (and its intended meaning) is the role it plays in creating suffering.

All in my opinion.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:10 pm

kalyana.mitta wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:36 pm
I have read about self-view (Sakkhaya Ditthi) and the other fetters, but I can't get a hold on what self-view means.
In easy terms; it refers to the view that anything, including oneself, exists as a separate entity in the universe.
Also, what can you practice to get rid of self-view?
One can practice 'letting go', by focusing on what happens because of what, instead of looking for a reason in the why. By doing so extensively, one will realize the interdependency of everything in the universe, through which the view of a self dissolves.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:41 pm

Taking five aggregate as I, me and myself is the self-view.
The fruit of the first stage of practicing Satipathana (Kayanupassana) is the elimination of self-view or the Sotapanna attainment.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

sunnat

Post by sunnat » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:18 am

The concept of self exists.
The concept of not-self exists.
Bit by bit, by direct experience (insight meditation), aspects that one has thought of as self are seen to rise and pass away, are not controllable and give rise to suffering and, therefore, are not-self.

kalyana.mitta

Post by kalyana.mitta » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:48 am

thank you all so much for all your replies. Many merits as they really did help. :)

Zom

Post by Zom » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:16 pm

but I can't get a hold on what self-view means. Also, what can you practice to get rid of self-view?
Self view is a view that there is some kind of unchanging "thing" in a personality or that personality itself is unchanging and/or not dependent on conditions.

Practice to get rid of self-view is wise reflection of personality in accordance with principle of conditionality, which is described by Dependent Origination formulas (there are variants of it). Once the principle is understood, all kinds of possible self-views are eliminated.

In Buddha's time this happened to normal people (in 99% cases) during listening to Dhamma lectures about impermanence and conditionality. Among those were kings, ministers, warriors, merchants, peasants, etc.