Can one equate nibbana to Atta ?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
sentinel
Posts: 3187
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Can one equate nibbana to Atta ?

Post by sentinel »

Nibbana is unconditioned so does Atta .
Nibbana is permanent so does Atta .
The definition appear similar .
You always gain by giving
SarathW
Posts: 14139
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Can one equate nibbana to Atta ?

Post by SarathW »

Nibbana itself is not a thing.
In that sense it is permanent.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
sentinel
Posts: 3187
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: Can one equate nibbana to Atta ?

Post by sentinel »

How do you know nibbana is what ?
You always gain by giving
SarathW
Posts: 14139
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Can one equate nibbana to Atta ?

Post by SarathW »

Just a guess based on what I have read and what I know so far.
If it is not a thing how do I know?
:shrug:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SteRo
Posts: 2672
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:27 am
Location: अ धीः

Re: Can one equate nibbana to Atta ?

Post by SteRo »

sentinel wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:13 am Nibbana is unconditioned so does Atta .
Nibbana is permanent so does Atta .
The definition appear similar .
Ask the theists and they will probably affirm "God is unconditioned and permanent". What's the purpose of comparing or even equating wrong view with right view?
The habit to grasp as realities the concepts arising from contacting words seems to be deep-rooted.
sentinel
Posts: 3187
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: Can one equate nibbana to Atta ?

Post by sentinel »

Atta ain't no God .
You always gain by giving
SteRo
Posts: 2672
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:27 am
Location: अ धीः

Re: Can one equate nibbana to Atta ?

Post by SteRo »

sentinel wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:08 am Atta ain't no God .
From the perspective of language you are right: the meaning of 'Atta' is not the meaning of 'God'. But from the perspective of reality 'Atta' and 'God' are the same: empty ideas.

Nibbana however isn't an empty idea because 'nibbana' denotes the cessation of dukkha.
The habit to grasp as realities the concepts arising from contacting words seems to be deep-rooted.
chownah
Posts: 8895
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Can one equate nibbana to Atta ?

Post by chownah »

Doesn't atta mean personality, ego, self? These are not unconditioned and are not permanent. These are fabricated concepts for imaginary things that arise mentally through ignorance......atta is that same old delusional sense of self.....isn't it?.....how can this be equated with nibanna?
chownah
char101
Posts: 336
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:21 am

Re: Can one equate nibbana to Atta ?

Post by char101 »

If one hasn't even attain nibanna how can one call nibanna as self? It is like saying my self is something that I don't have.

While those who have attained nibanna, attain it via elimination of self-view, which means they don't view anything as self.
User avatar
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta
Posts: 1011
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:06 pm

Re: Can one equate nibbana to Atta ?

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

sentinel wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:13 am Nibbana is unconditioned so does Atta .
Nibbana is permanent so does Atta .
The definition appear similar .

Nibbana
  • real
Atta
  • surreal




Surreal: def:2
.


🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...
  • "an entirely and perfectly foolish idea" :D ~ MN22
sentinel
Posts: 3187
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: Can one equate nibbana to Atta ?

Post by sentinel »

Ātman , attā or attan in Buddhism is the concept of self . In Thai Theravada Buddhism, for example, states Paul Williams, some modern-era Buddhist scholars have claimed that "nibbana is indeed the true Self" .
You always gain by giving
chownah
Posts: 8895
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Can one equate nibbana to Atta ?

Post by chownah »

sentinel wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:20 pm Ātman , attā or attan in Buddhism is the concept of self . In Thai Theravada Buddhism, for example, states Paul Williams, some modern-era Buddhist scholars have claimed that "nibbana is indeed the true Self" .
I'm confused. You ask if nibbana can be equated to atta but now you say that yes they can be equated as evidenced by paul williams (don't know who he is) saying that some modern buddhist scholars claim nibbana is the true self.

Your opening post just asserts some things about atta. Generally the things you assert are held to be wrong view and my post was meant to bring this to your attention. If you want to discuss the question whether nibbana is the true self because some people take it to be so then I think a good place to start is with the statement (which I think is correct as in "sabbe dhammā anattā") that all dhammas are not self or in pali something like all dhammas are anatta.....and also remembering that nibbana is taken to be a dhamma.....you could go look at nyanatiloka's dictionary under "anatta".....seems difficult to say that nibbana is the true self when it seems pretty clear that the buddha taught that all dhammas are empty of self.
chownah
santa100
Posts: 4257
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: Can one equate nibbana to Atta ?

Post by santa100 »

sentinel wrote:Can one equate nibbana to Atta?

some modern-era Buddhist scholars have claimed that "nibbana is indeed the true Self"
Then it's quite obvious that one cannot equate Nibbana to Atta because "some modern-era Buddhist scholars" said so, while there's no such idea's ever been mentioned in the Buddhist Canon.
sentinel
Posts: 3187
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: Can one equate nibbana to Atta ?

Post by sentinel »

Probably , because we don't know for certain what is nibbana or even atta if both actually exists . Not one of us already attained nibbana , that make us to the most mere believes in nibbana .
You always gain by giving
User avatar
cappuccino
Posts: 4689
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:45 am

Re: Can one equate nibbana to Atta ?

Post by cappuccino »

SarathW wrote: Nibbana itself is not a thing.
No, it's an element.
Post Reply