Remembrance of past lives

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
char101

Remembrance of past lives

Post by char101 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:26 am

The following are possessed of a knowledge of their past existences: Those who are not reborn (in the human world) but proceed to the world of devas, of Brahmas, or to the regions of hell, remember their past existences. Those who die sudden deaths from accidents while in sound health may also be possessed of this faculty in the next existence, provided that the mothers, in whose wombs they are conceived, are healthy, clean-lived and quiet women. Again, those who live steady, meritorious lives and who (in their past existences) have striven to attain, and have prayed for this faculty often attain it. Lastly, the Buddha, the arahants and ariyas attain this gift which is known as pubbenivasa-abhinnana.

https://mahajana.net/texts/manual09.html
If you worry about not remembering the Buddha's teachings in the next life, strive to be reborn as devas or brahmas, or have strong intention to be able to remember past lives in the next life.

Akashad

Re: Remembrance of past lives

Post by Akashad » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:51 pm

I posted before in a thread about prebirth memory. I remember.am willing to totally spill the tea.

I absolutely agree with brahmas being able to remember.For example,when people talk about heaven i can't relate because before birth i remember this primordial space like realm of just being with no beginning or end.

I swear Earth is my witness i know people are rollin' they eyes as they be readin' desse but my mum had to put up with it for YEARRS when i was little in front of the pastor so i'm sure you shall all survive.Before i start in all seriousness:I swear,Am not making this stuff up.I know i'm a total stranger.But you can look up pre-birth memory all of us kids can't be lying.You will see a pattern.And i know most kids forget when they reach a certain age,but i somehow managed to retain it because i had a weird idea put into my head while i was out grocery shopping with my mum when i was 9 to write it all down in a mickey mouse book i saw in the stalls.And whats even bizarre is i wrote it all in code that i invented because i didn't want anyone to find it. i mean guys..i Know i must have came from a higher realm cause only THEY would go through all this trouble.I mean which kid has time for this s@%#. It was like the mature and sober side of me that was linked to that sophisticated realm was pleading and vying for my attention and finally got it for a precious half an hour before i turned it to Barney and friends.

the whole thing was very strange straight out of a sci-fi book, as Alan Watts puts it,it was like "waking up after never falling asleep".

Like if you asked me,when did it all start i would not be able to answer that because i can't remember ever starting.I don't remember a beginning.
like how scary is this.
I just remember always being like this.Like if dis was a Stephen King book it would be called "The Always".

Somehow this union with the universe (what we call samadhi) seems much more fulfilling than the traditional view of heaven with gardens and birds.Even now i find meditation or prayer much more fulfilling then sensory pleasures.I had very few sensory experience in that realm similiar to a (blind,mute and deaf person but can somehow perceive things),which is why birth was so raw...a shock to the system.

This space realm was like an energetic field of silence.Like a vortex.Something primordial about it.Almost EVERY little kid (including me) who remember will talk about Space realms.Choosing their parents or location/continent sometimes time/era.My theory is you can Only remember if you came from these realms.Remembering previous life from birth is not the same as accessing it through meditation.I think meditators who see previous lives from meditation see them through the lens of ultimate reality or what i'd like to call they switch into "Ultimate reality Mode/View" ha.ha.

For example they see themselves as an animal,then hell being then human they see that through meditation from my understanding (i'm no scholar) by tracing dependent origination so seeing nama rupa ultimate relaity.

But to remember from birth is a siddhi,you are seeing beings,woman,man,child etc.I don't think you can be an animal i've never heard any kid mention being an animal it's always space or heaven ..Something "higher.I clearly remember falling DOWN.some kids remember seeing the blue planet or earth.We all remember getting sucked or pulled into it.

And THIS is how i remember the dying bit i mentioned from the human life.Because i was reborn in that realm SOOO i COULD remember it.It was like i could review that life.some kids can remember the room we viewed it from it's like movie screen, we review the characters we build or the challenges we faced.For example,in one video one being was so bright( we were energetic orbs),because he had cancer as a human and he chose to deal with it with a lot of love and patience.Ever since i was little every time there were hard times or something bad happen i always felt like a million dollars when i dealt with it in a more positive way.I always had this view.Before buddhism or any other religion.Like all the hardship were merely tricks to get gold coin from.It was just a mean to purify my "soul".

We were made up of energy or orbs and communicated telepathically. There were guides or some kind of council.Or as i would call them "da godds".They urged us to take rebirth,helped with the reviewing process.For example i could see myself as a kid getting into a bicycle accident BEFORE i was born (Which i totally did) and went through are you sure you want to do this contemplation and finally i just said the location that i wanted to be born with conviction and i was born there.

Kids remember different reasons why they were born some state because their mother was lonely or they wanted to care for one parent.It's more of a duty to be born.I remember this feeling of pour me some sugar and get this over with.Some remember their duty as to spread love or bring peace on earth.Raise the earths vibration.Only the bravest would chose to be born during a dark age.

I could not shut up about it as a kid.I kept telling my mum i remember before this.I remember being born.I remember the few moments after birth.

I remember falling/being pulled down into a bright light similar to a white nimitta in meditation and there i was in another realm (earth) as a baby.This white light or nimitta is like a gateway into different realms.Their tiny minds/realms constructed and you get sucked into it.I was also given a name by my non-buddhist grandparents which by coincidence in sanskrit mean higher realms you actually know your name before your born.Like you know this is going to be your name.I know there are those who won't believe this prebirth account but it is what it is.i'll only live this life once so i might as well share it.

There is some kind "veil" or something energetic that's blinding us from remembering.Really don't know how this all fits into budhdism but i promised y'all some tea.Enjoy :soap:

char101

Post by char101 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:13 pm

Remembrance of past lives is a personal matter. If you do able to remember your past live, please do keep it into yourself as other people has no ability to know whether what you are saying is true or not, or at least talk with someone with higher ability that can verify your story.

Also samadhi is not a union with the universe. I don't think there are such thing as union with the universe in theravada Buddhism.

Akashad

Post by Akashad » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:40 pm

never mind me.I'm just cleaning this tea spill. :tongue:

thepea

Post by thepea » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:39 am

Akashad wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:40 pm
Do you recollect dying in your previous life?
“I’ve” also had some vivid spiritual experiences. Whether it was a past life regression or just a consciousness mind melt. The complete experience of a noble man being murdered. He was not Buddhist but his mind was absolutely wholesome. The experience was complete with sensations, thoughts, hearing, vision, all senses were in tact. The experience was no different to any experience now experienced other than this was in a desert ancient time frame and this individuals thoughts were so much cleaner and purer than mine. The complete death was experienced. Body died, mind separated and expanded infinitely. Then nirvana.... then the white light appeared as a small glow then a thought slowly arouse and boom back as myself only different.
I’ll pour some tea on the floor also.🙃

And it wasn’t Jesus.😉

Akashad

Post by Akashad » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:10 am

thepea wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:39 am
Akashad wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:40 pm
Do you recollect dying in your previous life?
“I’ve” also had some vivid spiritual experiences. Whether it was a past life regression or just a consciousness mind melt. The complete experience of a noble man being murdered. He was not Buddhist but his mind was absolutely wholesome. The experience was complete with sensations, thoughts, hearing, vision, all senses were in tact. The experience was no different to any experience now experienced other than this was in a desert ancient time frame and this individuals thoughts were so much cleaner and purer than mine. The complete death was experienced. Body died, mind separated and expanded infinitely. Then nirvana.... then the white light appeared as a small glow then a thought slowly arouse and boom back as myself only different.
I’ll pour some tea on the floor also.🙃

And it wasn’t Jesus.😉
ss

Yes I do remember life didn't start in this birth.If somebbody asked me what my first memory was i would say i was not This person.i don't hold the view of having only one life I never had.it doesn't matter what religion i practice i can not hold that view.it is news to me that there is only this life, I had to infer from those around me i think we'll into my teenage years that there is only one life and i will have to stretch my imagination to hold a one life view.this is pure fiction i know there is a previous life i came from it and it's so unextraordinarily normal that when people talk about meditation and previous lives like it's some sort of magical achievement i resist rolling my eyes like bro this will happen regardless if you meditate or not.

Because of this prebirth (PBE) memory I am careful about my actions now.And i believe in cause and effect and karma.man i see the links even in this life.my only fear is when i die i will forget the law of cause and effect.and be reborn in a land of the forgotten where people don't teach you about the laws of the universe and then I'm screwed.

PBE is quite common in young children they will sometimes tell you they picked their parents or can see their parents wedding etc,, they are not making that stuff up and have no hidden agenda and religious narrative to push.I was once that child who always talked about a different place and as radically christian as my mother is she knows there is no reason for a child to lie and even though she doesn't accept rebirth she believes that i believe what I went through to take rebirth here on planet earth.

I'm aware that people have dreams of a previous life or can access it through hypnosis or meditation i can't comment on those because i have no such experience.i dont know if meditation can help you see your past life I'll have to take people's word for it and use other measures such as faith but I don't know. my experience with rebirth is just one long continuing memory with this being whose typing this reply's birth somehow nudged about a quarter of the way in.

The one thing that you said that did happen was I did experience a floating up and expanding into the universe when i passed away.i experience dying and death fully conscious.it is a RELIEF.to die.i don't care how scary people try to paint death it is a RELIEF.the moment you can't feel pain or sensations like i am waiting for death with a freaking martini bro.but i guess that's because i was taking rebirth in a better plane i don't think it would be the same if people died suddenly or in a bad state of mind.I'm not sure about what they go through.

And also the white light i remember.It's like a nimitta magnetising and imploding and enveloping and bam your in a baby's body lol.just like that.bam.bam.bam.doesn't even, give you space to drink some tea and think what the hell just happened.it's like Business As Usual off to the next life See ya.omg.it's so hilarious i can't even take this life seriously anymore.like when people tell me they've been married for 70 years i think to myself bro your going to be stuck in this twilight zone for longer than 70 years brace yourself.looool.it's Loong road folks.my mother should have named me Weary.Like do not bother writing R.i.P on anybody's grave stone there is no such thing.the only genuine rest i get is when I'm meditating but even that can't last forever.

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:53 pm

A number of years ago, when I was taking a course in hypnotherapy so that I could practice it along with some other complementary therapies, I asked my late Tibetan teacher if he thought I should offer "Past Life Regression".

He replied "No.... people can make things up."

In other words, "past life regression" sessions with a therapist (or self-directed sessions) can become a vehicle for the fantasies of the person attempting to regress, rather than accurate accounts of a past life.

In general, I find its better to let go of speculation about other lives and focus on the here and now.

:anjali:

tamdrin

Post by tamdrin » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:00 pm

I don't have any personal memories but I have had two Buddhist teachers tell me some different things.

One was a Tibetan Rinpoche/Guru who told me I had done some tantric practice in a past life.

Another, more recently, was a Thai Monk who is very developed in meditation who told me I had been the leader of a tribe of Karen people in a past life. They are from Myanmar, and some live in Thailand now. He equated some of my present personality traits with things I had done in that life.

I don't feel either of these people had any reason to make this stuff up, however I have no memories as I said.

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:14 pm

tamdrin wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:00 pm
I don't have any personal memories but I have had two Buddhist teachers tell me some different things.

One was a Tibetan Rinpoche/Guru who told me I had done some tantric practice in a past life.

Another, more recently, was a Thai Monk who is very developed in meditation who told me I had been the leader of a tribe of Karen people in a past life. They are from Myanmar, and some live in Thailand now. He equated some of my present personality traits with things I had done in that life.

I don't feel either of these people had any reason to make this stuff up, however I have no memories as I said.
I think for some people it might be a way to intrigue and encourage their students.

I once asked my late Tibetan teacher ( who had been recognised as a reincarnate Tulku when young) if he could remember his past lives and he said "No."

He also told a friend : "Never mind about other lives, this is the one that counts!"

I never watch YouTube videos about past lives, the ones I've seen in the past just seemed like unverifiable nonsense and I just can't be bothered, so apologies to anyone who posts them. There are too many more important ways to spend my time right now.

Lots of good wishes to all . :)

Last edited by Aloka on Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justindesilva

Post by justindesilva » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:24 pm

char101 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:13 pm
Remembrance of past lives is a personal matter. If you do able to remember your past live, please do keep it into yourself as other people has no ability to know whether what you are saying is true or not, or at least talk with someone with higher ability that can verify your story.

Also samadhi is not a union with the universe. I don't think there are such thing as union with the universe in theravada Buddhism.
My first experience ( in 1954) in rebirth is a follow up of a rebirth of a girl named gnathilaka. It was followed up by rev. Priest from Vajirarama at Colimbo with a panel from university and a news paper. This girl at 5yrs. of age who kept telling about her parents in a village, where she never new was taken there. She to everybody's amazement identified her former family and confidently visited the rooms which she used in former lives.
Later my son at the age of 4 started telling about a tiger and a rock which was identified as true by a person who knew this place described. The name of that place was called kotigala ( tiger rock ).

justindesilva

Post by justindesilva » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:25 pm

char101 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:13 pm

My first experience ( in 1954) in rebirth is a follow up of a rebirth of a girl named gnathilaka. It was followed up by rev. Priest from Vajirarama at Colimbo with a panel from university and a news paper. This girl at 5yrs. of age who kept telling about her parents in a village, where she never new was taken there. She to everybody's amazement identified her former family and confidently visited the rooms which she used in former lives.
Later my son at the age of 4 started telling about a tiger and a rock which was identified as true by a person who knew this place described. The name of that place was called kotigala ( tiger rock ).

Alīno

Post by Alīno » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:01 pm

I dont realy told it to anybody, but as people start to talking about past lives, so why not...it's just this namarupa process
I have no any ability to remember past lives, but there is some intriguing events in this life:

- I was born in mid may, and my ancestor was some kind of chief of a warrior tribe (Cossaks) from the steps of Caucase Mountains, and recieved from the Tsar territory, so he could protect them with his clan. If i dont mistake it's said that aryan tribe that conquered India was from this area of Caucase steps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cossacks
- My mother was in Bulgaria as she was pregnant, and some days after my birth there was quite big a earth quake, that my moter told be quite often about..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_Vrancea_earthquakes
- when i was about 8, before sleeping i used to concentrate my mind on the dark-light of the closed eyes while lying on the right side, some times, to improuve the oncentration i put my arm straight in the air, and some times there was jhanic factors like strong piti and so on...
- then there was a boy from neighbour family, and he always weared a tshirt with in big : NIRVANA on it (the Court Cobain's music group), his tshirt realy intriging me, so this boy became my best friend for long time, even now we are in tuch
- when my mother putted me some rise, i was always asking - "it is ant's cocoons?" Or if she put me meat, i always asked - "who it was?" (like "who is was this living being", and not like "what is it like meat")
- my favorite bowl from which i ate was a metalic bowl
- also when i was like 8-11,funerals of people who passed away in our neighbour, intruiguing me a lot, mother forbed me to watch it, but i steel watching it each time there was some one who died... Also in some of the book on bioligy that i found at home a found an image of some dead animal body (it was "Bamby" from WaltDisney universe) in decomposition, with worms eating it... time to time i was here contemplating this dead corpse of bamby full of worms inside and outside...
- while i was 17, there was a lot of girls tourning around, also i wanted to go in army, so i said to myself, what if if rise my hairs off and will see if all this people likes me because of what i'am as person, of just because of this body... So one i shawed my hairs off, all this attention from girls was gone away, so i understood the conditioned nature of love, that your social status hold on just one hair... So until this time i keept my hairs cut off as sight of renounciation
- then at 18 i first met Dhamma, i cryed like some orphant who was lost and abandoned and who finaly found his parents in the minds of peoples on some buisy railway train station... out of joy to found what i seeking for so long time, and out of compassion to all living beings who born and die endlessly in this Samsara round...
- now my job consisting in : waking up at 3-5 morning, going from town to town, and selling organic shampoo, shower gels, creams for the skin, teeth washing products, nail colors, all kind of cosmetics for the asubha object for meditation that are given to new ordained monks (kesa, loma, taco, etc) + organic clean up products
- my employee provide me with food, car, phone, web, medecine, hotels, etc...
- and at may of my 29 years i requested 8 precepts...

There is also many little things here and there, but i'am pretty sure that in the past life i was a bhikkhu with a lot of faith in Buddha.. But "mae nae", who knows... :thinking:
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...

Kusala

Post by Kusala » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:18 am

char101 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:26 am
The following are possessed of a knowledge of their past existences: Those who are not reborn (in the human world) but proceed to the world of devas, of Brahmas, or to the regions of hell, remember their past existences. Those who die sudden deaths from accidents while in sound health may also be possessed of this faculty in the next existence, provided that the mothers, in whose wombs they are conceived, are healthy, clean-lived and quiet women. Again, those who live steady, meritorious lives and who (in their past existences) have striven to attain, and have prayed for this faculty often attain it. Lastly, the Buddha, the arahants and ariyas attain this gift which is known as pubbenivasa-abhinnana.

https://mahajana.net/texts/manual09.html
If you worry about not remembering the Buddha's teachings in the next life, strive to be reborn as devas or brahmas, or have strong intention to be able to remember past lives in the next life.
Here is Ajahn Brahm talking about an English comedian who remembered his past life...

@ 0:45 - 4:10

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "