What decides my choices and actions?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
user99

Post by user99 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:16 pm

SarathW

Re: What decides my choices and actions?

Post by SarathW » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:14 pm

Avijjaya paccya Sankhara, hence ignorance is the reason for your choices and actions as per Dependent Origination.
However, when you become an Ariya your action is based on wisdom.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

SDC

Post by SDC » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:48 pm

user99 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:16 pm
Why do you want to know?

That will be the answer. You decided to ask this question. You want to know the answer. That is why you did it.

pegembara

Post by pegembara » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:30 am

What/who acts is not a valid question. The proper way is to ask what condition leads to those choices and actions? "You" feel hot, so "you" turn up the cooler for example. Perhaps it is contact at the six senses and so forth.
"Lord, who feels?"

"Not a valid question," the Blessed One said. "I don't say 'feels.' If I were to say 'feels,' then 'Who feels?' would be a valid question. But I don't say that. When I don't say that, the valid question is 'From what as a requisite condition comes feeling?' And the valid answer is, 'From contact as a requisite condition comes feeling. From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving.'"

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:49 am

user99 wrote:
There are many different ways to answer this question. Answers could talk about many different things like kamma, intent, ignorance, etc. If you said something here about what your thinking is which made you think of this question then we would know what you are thinking about and we could try to give the answers that you are most intersted in.

I think you can figure out a lot by yourself by just paying attention to the times you make choices. For instance, maybe you want to buy some food to eat.....what do you think about when deciding which things to buy? By thinking about your choices and why they are made can help a lot in understanding what decides them I think.
chownah

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:53 am

user99 wrote: What decides my choices and actions?
being aware of hell

being unaware of hell

these types of awareness decide choice & action

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:04 am

This seems to be a question about free-will. Whether we decide to do good or evil at a particular time depends on conditions. If we cultivate a habit of stealing, whenever an opportunity to steal without getting caught presents itself we will steal. However, if we cultivate a habit of observing the five precepts, whenever an opportunity to steal presents itself, we will not steal, even if there seems to be no chance of getting caught.

The thief cannot suddenly stop being a thief; he or she has spent too long cultivating bad habits. Even if he/she wants to reform, the habit is hard to break. The same goes for any other habitual behaviour. The longer one has cultivated cursing or lying, the harder it will be to stop. Will-power must be sustained for a long time to break the habit and reform one's character. You will understand this if you have ever given up smoking, or using hard drugs.

Will-power is also a conditioned factor; one who has long been weak-willed will take longer to reform their character than someone who is strong-willed. Aṅgulimāla was very strong-willed, so after meeting the Buddha, he quickly reformed and became an Arahant.

So will is not free, nor is it predetermined; it depends on conditions. Cultivating good friendship is the whole of the holy life. “Not to associate with fools, but to associate with the wise; to honour those worthy of honour, this is the most auspicious sign.” Maṅgala Sutta
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

The2nd

Post by The2nd » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:26 am

user99 wrote:
Intentions intend.

sentinel

Post by sentinel » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:05 am

Free-will is a misconception .
To choose between two things or something doesn't mean that there is a Free will . Free means Unconditional .
In a closed circuit setting , e.g. electronic circuit board , all the components affect each other .
It was designed so that the current runs through the circuit in certain direction .
What can be said is that there is a Choosing factor , Deciding factor and Intention factor involve in the process of thinking .
:coffee:

SteRo

Post by SteRo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:19 am

user99 wrote:
Innate and acquired habits which some call 'kamma'. 'Innate and acquired' here refers to the present existence because 'innate' actually is acquired across more than one existence.

:anjali:

char101

Post by char101 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:11 am

Relation between the arising of different type of consciousness is explained in the patthana. There are 24 relations

1. Hetupaccayo – Root condition.
2. Ārammaṇapaccayo – Object condition.
3. Adhipatipaccayo – Predominance condition.
4. Antarapaccayo – Contiguity condition.
5. Samanantarapaccayo – Immediacy condition.
6. Sahajātapaccayo – Co-nascence condition.
7. Aññamaññapaccayo – Mutuality condition.
8. Nissayapaccayo – Dependence condition.
9. Upanissaya-paccayo – Powerful Dependence condition.
10. Purejātapaccayo – Pre-nascence condition.
11. Pacchājātapaccayo – Post-nascence condition.
12. Āsevana paccayo – Repetition condition.
13. Kamampaccayo – Kamma condition.
14. Vipākapaccayo – Kamma-result condition.
15. Āhara paccayo – Nutriment condition.
16. Indriyapaccayo – Faculty condition.
17. Jhānapaccayo – Jhāna condition.
18. Magga paccayo – Path condition.
19. Sampayuttapaccayo – Association condition.
20. Vippayuttapaccayo – Dissociation condition.
21. Atthi paccayo – Presence condition.
22. Natthipaccayo – Absence condition.
23. Vigatapaccayo – Disappearance condition.
24. Avigatapaccayo – Non-disappearance condition.

What Bhikkhu Pesala written above about habit could be Āsevana paccayo – Repetition condition.