Bhikkhu Samahita has passed away

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Re: Bhikkhu Samahita has passed away

Post by SarathW »

some of his Sri Lankan supporters that he took his own life about 2 weeks ago in Denmark
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
denise

Post by denise »

sad news...i used to look forward to his posts... :heart:
mario92

Post by mario92 »

:candle:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Is this a confirmed news.
Is the person who post this from a reliable source?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Oh, wow, just looked up the whois info for his website and it appears it is expiring tomorrow:

https://what-buddha-said.net/
Registry Expiry Date: 2019-10-26T16:06:54Z

If the website goes down, at least the world will still have his youtube channel and the hundreds of videos he made.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Can't anybody salvage it?
His work is precious.
What about Dhamma's drop from Ceylon?
Can we still see his post with graphic arts?
mario92

Post by mario92 »

i have downloaded some of his books from dhamma library if someone wants them
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

"Overcome the liar by truth." (Dhp 223)
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn47/sn47.013.nypo.html wrote:"Have I not taught you aforetime, Ananda, that it is the nature of all things near and dear to us that we must suffer separation from them, and be severed from them? Of that which is born, come to being, put together, and so is subject to dissolution, how should it be said that it should not depart? That, indeed, is not possible. It is, Ananda, as though from a mighty hardwood tree a large branch should break off, so has Sariputta now had his final passing away from this great and sound community of bhikkhus. Indeed, Ananda, of that which is born, come to being, put together, and so is subject to dissolution, how should it be said that it should not depart? This, indeed, is not possible.

"Therefore, Ananda, be ye an island unto yourself, a refuge unto yourself, seeking no external refuge; with the Teaching as your island, the Teaching your refuge, seeking no other refuge."
16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta

links:
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm
http://thaiforestwisdom.org/canonical-texts/
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-conte ... _Heart.pdf
https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Sorry to enquire(I don't quite understand) , what does it mean took his own life ?
You always gain by giving
The2nd

Post by The2nd »

Bhikkhu Samahita's funeral.
Attachments
Bhantes funeral
Bhantes funeral
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

The2nd wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:54 pm I was searching for Bhante Samahita and was informed through the grapevine of some of his Sri Lankan supporters that he took his own life about 2 weeks ago in Denmark, which was a few weeks after his father passed away with cancer.
Nobody seems to have posted any comments on his websites or social media.
I am not close enough to know any detailed information but I am hoping that someone closer will gives us confirmation of this event.
On the Venerable Facebook page, he posted a photo of his father's funeral on the 9th of September.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Aniccato

Post by Aniccato »

Am making a copy of all of his website via software and all of his YouTube videos. Will compress and make google drive links. Admins I don’t have enough capacity on my google drive to host that much traffic. Would you be willing to host this data if I provide?
With Metta
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Geonny wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:30 pm Am making a copy of all of his website via software and all of his YouTube videos. Will compress and make google drive links. Admins I don’t have enough capacity on my google drive to host that much traffic. Would you be willing to host this data if I provide?
I don't believe there's any need for that. All of his youtube videos will remain there. As the account holder, he would have to remove them, which of course won't happen. It is hosted through youtube / google, so it will be there for prosperity.

Also, his Daily Dhamma Drops will remain here, hosted by this site.

The only thing that might get lost, are the other things that are on his website that are not videos or Daily Dhamma Drops.