Bhikkhu Samahita has passed away

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Aniccato

Re: Bhikkhu Samahita has passed away

Post by Aniccato » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:37 am

Have emailed him for confirmation. If no response, which he responds always very quickly (even when his father died), then I guess we will know. Either that or if our Sri Lankan dhamma wheelers can call the hermitage or a local meditation center connected to him and get confirmation that would be really appreciated.
With Metta

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:13 am

DNS wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:39 am
SarathW wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:33 am
Wonder what is the date is recorded.
That's true, it might be a repeat.

I saw a picture (can't find it right now) of him leading a retreat in North Carolina not too long ago. I didn't know he made it to the U.S. for a visit, for teaching and leading a retreat.
A speech given at the Theosophical Society August 2019 as per the video.
It appears his last post on his face book page was on 3fr October 2019 andy his father passed away on around 9th September 2019.
Last reply on Youtube was on around 26 September 2019 It appears this is a repeat of a recording around May 2019. The same post (not self) has done twice.
https://www.facebook.com/bhikkhu.samahita
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Keith

Post by Keith » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:54 am

I get the impression that there are no more births for him. Or if there are, there aren't many. 🙏

The2nd

Post by The2nd » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:03 am

I received a forwarded email from a friend :
"...I learnt the sad news from his brother (Robin Hansen) on Facebook that he had passed away on October 12th, sorry for the sad news.
If you know anyone in the Buddhist community of Sri Lanka, who might know him please could you pass on this sad message.
The funeral will be held in Denmark on October 25th.
He was fifty nine I believe...."

Again no specific details.
I suppose anyone intersted could contact his brother on facebook.

The2nd

Post by The2nd » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:05 am

Bag of Bones wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:58 pm
The2nd wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:12 am
Bhikkhu Samahita's funeral.

Where did you get this photo? If you don't mind me asking
It was from a Thai lady living in Denmark.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:17 am

It appears to me he was in good health at least four weeks prior to his death.
Is he living in a temple in Denmark?
Are there any other monks and care takers?
Why did he leave Sri Lanka?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Bag of Bones

Post by Bag of Bones » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:28 am

I have emailed, and just now received a reply, from a personal friend of Bhante Samahita in Denmark and can sadly confirm it is true.
He took his own life two weeks ago. His funeral and cremation were Friday. His ashes will be interned at Buddhist part of Bispebjerg Kierkegaard in Copenhagen.
His friend has no notion of why Bhante decided to take his own life, even though he considered himself a close friend and spoke with Bhante shortly before his suicide.

This is all very sad for me

SDC

Post by SDC » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:47 am

Bag of Bones wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:28 am
I have emailed, and just now received a reply, from a personal friend of Bhante Samahita in Denmark and can sadly confirm it is true.
He took his own life two weeks ago. His funeral and cremation were Friday. His ashes will be interned at Buddhist part of Bispebjerg Kierkegaard in Copenhagen.
His friend has no notion of why Bhante decided to take his own life, even though he considered himself a close friend and spoke with Bhante shortly before his suicide.

This is all very sad for me
Thank you for confirming the information. Very sorry for the loss of your friend and teacher.

thepea

Post by thepea » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:48 am

What tradition did he practice?
It just doesn’t seem reasonable for someone practicing as Buddha taught to take their own life when physically healthy.
Basically eradicated his life’s work with one action???

sentinel

Post by sentinel » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:49 pm

If he suffered some kind of serious sickness it could be a reason . If he encounter mara influenced it is not something impossible if we refer to the texts . It is probable if he experiences revulsion towards life when his meditation hit a plateau such as those practise Paṭikkūlamanasikāra or asubhānupassin meditation .
“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.” -Buddha

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:10 pm

SarathW wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:17 am
It appears to me he was in good health at least four weeks prior to his death.
Is he living in a temple in Denmark?
Are there any other monks and care takers?
Why did he leave Sri Lanka?
He could have been depressed over the recent passing of his father, only a few weeks before he took his own life.

Or perhaps more likely, he was still suffering the effects from an illness he had about a year and a half ago. He had some serious parasites or bacteria infections in his mouth. As a doctor, he appears to have been self-medicating with steroids and other medicines. The bacteria and parasites could have gone to his brain, causing some delusions and paranoia. He made several cryptic, strange posts on his google group, some claiming Muslims were doing bio-warfare to do genocide to the rest of the world. Note; I am mentioning this not to disparage him but rather to show there most likely is a physical illness explanation (from the parasites and effects of steroids).

A few days later after that incident, he removed those posts from his google group and made a video, explaining about his health problems and the effects of Mara.

See: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=31873
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=31873&start=15#p471449

After that or perhaps due to that illness he returned to Denmark. He said he wanted to establish a vihara / temple in Denmark.

dhammacoustic

Post by dhammacoustic » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:28 pm

any information on how he did it?

siripala jagodage

Post by siripala jagodage » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:18 pm

Dear Friends
Every thing arises has to cease.Any one be born has to face sorrow,diseases old age and finally death.This was preached by lord Buddha. How true is it?

With Metta
Jagodage :candle: :candle: :candle:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:43 pm

Greetings,

This general topic advising of Bhikkhu Samahita's passing is going to remain closed.

However, it will now split into two new branching topics...

There is a Shine Room topic In rememberance of Bhikkhu Samahita, plus there is also a topic on the broader discussion of Monastics and Suicide, if that's what you wish to discuss.

Please respect the boundaries of each of those topics, and thank you for your understanding.

:candle:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)