Mundane insights versus supramundane insights

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
form

Mundane insights versus supramundane insights

Post by form » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:14 am

If one is sure he is experiencing supramundane insights, I think it means he is confirmed a stream enterer. With that said, I am pretty sure I still very mundane. :mrgreen:

chownah

Re: Mundane insights versus supramundane insights

Post by chownah » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:45 am

Form,
Can you explain what your idea is about what is mundane insight and what is supramundane insight? I'm wondering about your ideas....... and if you know any sutta references which have helped you in getting these ideas that would be good too.
chownah

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:47 am

you need insight constantly

specifically insight about inconstancy

form

Post by form » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:35 am

chownah wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:45 am
Form,
Can you explain what your idea is about what is mundane insight and what is supramundane insight? I'm wondering about your ideas....... and if you know any sutta references which have helped you in getting these ideas that would be good too.
chownah
Supramundane is about how to stop rebirth. 4NT.

Mundane is about how the world functions. For example, karma. For example, many great scientists get their insight about a great discovery or invention when they are asleep. For example, after a person meditate and review his past experience, he realises the short coming in his character, or he realise he has miscued certain past experience.

I need to check regarding sutta reference. I do not remember seeing any. Rather I can remember only a book that mentioned moving from mundane to supramundane consciousness in the contemplation process.

justindesilva

Post by justindesilva » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:12 am

form wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:35 am
chownah wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:45 am
Form,
chownah
Supramundane is about how to stop rebirth. 4NT.

Mundane is about how the world functions. For example, karma. For example, many great scientists get their insight about a great discovery or invention when they are asleep. For example, after a person meditate and review his past experience, he realises the short coming in his character, or he realise he has miscued certain past experience.

I need to check regarding sutta reference. I do not remember seeing any. Rather I can remember only a book that mentioned moving from mundane to supramundane consciousness in the contemplation process.
With my understanding there are two opposing terms as
Laukika and lokottara. Laukika (mundane) means bound by the earthly desires. Lokottara (supra mundane) means unbound by earthly desires. After lord budda preached the 4NT he as his second sermon preached the anatta lskkhana sutta to explain the meaning of not self of conventional truth of a self. The other sermon which explains the truth of unboundness from the conventional earth is mulaparyaya sutta MN1.
Kaccayanagotta sutta (sn12.15) which explains regarding existence too is relevant to supra mundane states.