form

Re: Brahmachariya

Post by form » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:04 pm

Dhammanando wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:50 am
salayatananirodha wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:17 am
do you have source for what ajahn chah said
The story is common knowledge among monks in the Ajahn Chah tradition, but I should be surprised if it's found anywhere in print. It's just not the kind of biographical detail that Thais would normally put into books.
He is believed to be an arahat by many people isn't it? How could then he has such a physiological response?

auto

Post by auto » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:33 pm

markandeya wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:11 am
Brahmachariya~ Brahmacharaya Does not always mean to be celibate, in the same way that Bikkhu does not mean Monk, the word originally fits into the 4 spiritual states in ones being. Brahma ( not the creator deva brahmA) is the absolute reality or the underlying reality behind all things or the most subtle and charaya means way, so Brahmacharya is to follow the way of the absolute reality who is beyond all extremes, In Theravada the way is the four noble truths which includes the 8foldpath, or one who follows the dharma follows Brahmacharya, a householder can also be brahmacharya by regulating the senses without attachment and aversion.
Brahmachariya/spiritual path stops when 3rd jhana is achieved. 4th jhana is attained by ignoring dhamma what arises and passes away and at 4th jhana light/āloka arises what reaches as far as brahma realms.
Brahmachariya is search for something eternal. At 3th jhana, desire for rebirth ceases.

Zom

Post by Zom » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:01 pm

why say this when there are lay non-returners who have done just that
Those were different times (I'd say drastically different from what we have today) and, also important, different people, much more advanced in spiritual potential, if you like. Again, it all depends on your way of life. If you live alone as a hermit, away from society - well, why not, you have the right conditions for such practice. That's why I said "renunciates" instead of "monks".

binocular

Post by binocular » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:13 pm

Zom wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:01 pm
Those were different times (I'd say drastically different from what we have today)
In what sense do you mean that?
In that they didn't have pictures of scantily clad women, romantic films, etc. etc. at every step?
Or that at the time, there existed no official institution which prescribed people what they should think, feel, speak, and do in order to be considered mentally normal (or otherwise be punished), the way pyschiatry/psyhology does today?
There is a portion of people nowadays who speak favorably about sex because they fear social censure for not doing so, not because they would actually appreciate sex.

(Similarly as there is a portion of people nowadays who speak favorably about science because they fear social censure for not doing so, not because they would actually appreciate science.)

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:33 pm

form wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:04 pm
[Ajahn Chah] is believed to be an arahat by many people isn't it? How could then he has such a physiological response?
==>
JamesTheGiant wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:20 pm
Even Ajahn Chah said he was tortured by his lust as a monk. He said sexual urges were among the last desires to fade.

befriend

Post by befriend » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:41 pm

confusedlayman wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:51 am
befriend wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:58 pm
Does anyone have any experience with not indulging in any sexual activity for lengthy periods of time. I've heard that sexual energy is the most powerful energy in the world and lust is very powerful I imagine if i renounced all sexual activity this could greatly enhance my practice I'm sure it would be challenging but there must be a great deal of positive energy coming from non lust.
our body is evolved to copulate it is like software ... over coming it is going against nature b
Our body is evolved to be angry it is like software seeing it with awareness letting it pass and non identifying with it is nature making babies every time you have sex or getting stds is against nature.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:01 pm

Although that specific story that James quoted isn't in the Ajahn Chah biography by Ajahn Jayasaro, other tales about his struggles with lust are, as Bhante said, in the tradition.

One of my favorite stories is, Supposedly there was an effort during his life to write a sort of hagiography of him by a Thai student, which he said was fine to do but had the absolute requirement that this book contain some very graphic descriptions of his struggle with sexual lust (the one that sent the student packing was Ajahn Chah's repeated visions of being surrounded by vaginas). The book was never released, of course, because the student was too embarassed. I love the story because it shows his refusal to be made into a saint or gloss over the road to get to where he was.

Zom

Post by Zom » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:25 pm

In that they didn't have pictures of scantily clad women, romantic films, etc. etc. at every step?
I mean back in those times even rich people lived like strict ascetics comparing to people nowadays. We live like kings, we have unthinkable level of comfort and sensual pleaures (in comparison with those ancient Indians had). Our minds are entangled with sensuality much, much more.

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:03 am

who really tries will succeed...

The Truman Show

Christof

If his was more than just a vague ambition, if he [Truman] was absolutely determined to discover the truth, there's no way we could prevent him.

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

form

Post by form » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:39 am

Nicolas wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:33 pm
form wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:04 pm
[Ajahn Chah] is believed to be an arahat by many people isn't it? How could then he has such a physiological response?
==>
JamesTheGiant wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:20 pm
Even Ajahn Chah said he was tortured by his lust as a monk. He said sexual urges were among the last desires to fade.
Attacked by daughters of Mara like the Buddha in the night to become enlightened?

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:07 pm

Zom wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:25 pm
I mean back in those times even rich people lived like strict ascetics comparing to people nowadays. We live like kings, we have unthinkable level of comfort and sensual pleaures (in comparison with those ancient Indians had). Our minds are entangled with sensuality much, much more.
I think brahmachariya means don't have xx thought itself.
non-agitation is highest peace
living unaffected by other cause and condition to suffering is true bliss
not associating with stupid people is immediate peace
- CL (confused layman)

sentinel

Post by sentinel » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:15 pm

Brahmacharya means the Way of life which leads one to Brahman .
:coffee:

markandeya

Post by markandeya » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:22 pm

auto wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:33 pm
markandeya wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:11 am
Brahmachariya~ Brahmacharaya Does not always mean to be celibate, in the same way that Bikkhu does not mean Monk, the word originally fits into the 4 spiritual states in ones being. Brahma ( not the creator deva brahmA) is the absolute reality or the underlying reality behind all things or the most subtle and charaya means way, so Brahmacharya is to follow the way of the absolute reality who is beyond all extremes, In Theravada the way is the four noble truths which includes the 8foldpath, or one who follows the dharma follows Brahmacharya, a householder can also be brahmacharya by regulating the senses without attachment and aversion.
Brahmachariya/spiritual path stops when 3rd jhana is achieved. 4th jhana is attained by ignoring dhamma what arises and passes away and at 4th jhana light/āloka arises what reaches as far as brahma realms.
Brahmachariya is search for something eternal. At 3th jhana, desire for rebirth ceases.
According to Ledi sayadaws Abhidhamma he says Nibbana~Nirvana is onefold according to its intrinsic nature of peace satilakkhana. But according to the way it is experienced it becomes two fold, namely (i) the element of Nibbana with substrata remaining~saupadisesa and (ii) the element of Nibbana without the strata remaining~anupadisesa.

This becomes very profound if understood

As far as I am concerned Brahma and nirvana are not two or separate.

:namaste:
Last edited by markandeya on Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markandeya

Post by markandeya » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:23 pm

deleted duplicate
Last edited by markandeya on Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markandeya

Post by markandeya » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:24 pm

deleted duplicate
Last edited by markandeya on Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.