Brahmachariya

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
befriend

Brahmachariya

Post by befriend » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:58 pm

Does anyone have any experience with not indulging in any sexual activity for lengthy periods of time. I've heard that sexual energy is the most powerful energy in the world and lust is very powerful I imagine if i renounced all sexual activity this could greatly enhance my practice I'm sure it would be challenging but there must be a great deal of positive energy coming from non lust.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.

JamesTheGiant

Re: Brahmachariya

Post by JamesTheGiant » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:20 pm

When i was a monk. It was TERRIBLE!
So difficult.
Even Ajahn Chah said he was tortured by his lust as a monk. He said sexual urges were among the last desires to fade.
One time when he was a monk, he had to move to a hut where nobody could see him on his walking meditation path, because he'd walk along it with a huge erection under his robe, and he felt he had to pull the clothing away from his body otherwise his clothing would rub pleasurably upon it!

There's a whole big movement these days called NO FAP. It's aimed at laypeople so might be quite useful for you. Offers techniques and tips.
Last edited by JamesTheGiant on Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:05 pm

I think I can mange without sex but not without sugar!
I think sugar is the most powerful energy on earth. :D
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Zom

Post by Zom » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:23 am

I imagine if i renounced all sexual activity this could greatly enhance my practice I'm sure it would be challenging but there must be a great deal of positive energy coming from non lust.
I had such long-term experiments as a lay person (while being married, which makes it still much harder). However, in my case, in my personal situation, I haven't found that it was beneficial for my practice. Probably this measure works better for renunciates and in a long term (years or even dozens of years period) with obligatory supporting practices like constant sense doors guarding (which an impossibility in a lay life). Since there are many more things to do and develop on the path I didn't bother much about it later.
:coffee:
Even Ajahn Chah said he was tortured by his lust as a monk.
Wonder if there are renunciates who are not tortured by that -) This is the most difficult thing to overcome and that it why we, lay people, respect monks and nuns so much. They are over there, on the real battlefield, on a war with themselves, with their defilements, fighting with Mara's army day after day 8-) (and those monks who are not celibate and hide it from others create much bad kamma, as Buddha hints in several suttas).

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:34 am

In my experience, it is a matter of view or attitude towards sex. If there is a positive attitude about sex that sex can bring happiness; then this will trigger the energy of sexual lust which can powerfully influence & control the mind. But if there is a negative or disenchanted view towards sex (due to seeing its harm, burden or other shortcoming), the sexual energy will not be powerful or even noticeable. In my experience, the greatest challenge in giving up sex is the fear of being alone; what the suttas (example MN 4) call "fear & dread".
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:51 am

befriend wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:58 pm
Does anyone have any experience with not indulging in any sexual activity for lengthy periods of time. I've heard that sexual energy is the most powerful energy in the world and lust is very powerful I imagine if i renounced all sexual activity this could greatly enhance my practice I'm sure it would be challenging but there must be a great deal of positive energy coming from non lust.
our body is evolved to copulate it is like software ... over coming it is going against nature b
non-agitation is highest peace
living unaffected by other cause and condition to suffering is true bliss
not associating with stupid people is immediate peace
- CL (confused layman)

form

Post by form » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:46 am

It can be done for as long as your guard your senses.

But do within your limits, trying too hard can be counterproductive. It is OK if u cannot follow as long as u are not a monk and u do not break the precepts.

markandeya

Post by markandeya » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:11 am

Brahmachariya~ Brahmacharaya Does not always mean to be celibate, in the same way that Bikkhu does not mean Monk, the word originally fits into the 4 spiritual states in ones being. Brahma ( not the creator deva brahmA) is the absolute reality or the underlying reality behind all things or the most subtle and charaya means way, so Brahmacharya is to follow the way of the absolute reality who is beyond all extremes, In Theravada the way is the four noble truths which includes the 8foldpath, or one who follows the dharma follows Brahmacharya, a householder can also be brahmacharya by regulating the senses without attachment and aversion.

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:48 am

confusedlayman wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:51 am
befriend wrote:
our body is evolved to copulate it is like software ... over coming it is going against nature b
long discourses

pāṭika chapter

27. A Book of Genesis

2. Solid Nectar Appears
But the single mass of water at that time was utterly dark. The moon and sun were not found, nor were stars and constellations, day and night, months and fortnights, years and seasons, or male and female. Beings were simply known as ‘beings’. After a very long period had passed, solid nectar curdled in the water. It appeared just like the curd on top of hot milk as it cools. It was beautiful, fragrant, and delicious, like ghee or butter. And it was as sweet as pure manuka honey. Now, one of those beings was reckless. Thinking, ‘Oh my, what might this be?’ they tasted the solid nectar with their finger. They enjoyed it, and craving was born in them. And other beings, following that being’s example, tasted solid nectar with their fingers. They too enjoyed it, and craving was born in them.

7. Gender Appears
But so long as they ate that ripe untilled rice, their bodies became more solid and they diverged in appearance. And female characteristics appeared on women, while male characteristics appeared on men. Women spent too much time gazing at men, and men at women. They became lustful, and their bodies burned with fever. Due to this fever they had sex with each other.

Those who saw them having sex pelted them with dirt, ashes, or cow-dung, saying, ‘Get lost, filth! Get lost, filth! How on earth can one being do that to another?’ And even today people in some countries, when a bride is carried off, pelt her with dirt, ashes, or cow-dung. They’re just remembering an ancient traditional saying, but they don’t understand what it means.

8. Sexual Intercourse
What was reckoned as immoral at that time, these days is reckoned as moral. The beings who had sex together weren’t allowed to enter a village or town for one or two months. Ever since they excessively threw themselves into immorality, they started to make buildings to hide their immoral deeds. Then one of those beings of idle disposition thought, ‘Hey now, why should I be bothered to gather rice in the evening for supper, and in the morning for breakfast? Why don’t I gather rice for supper and breakfast all at once?’

https://suttacentral.net/dn27/en/sujato#dn27:10.7
:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:59 am

The most difficult desire to overcome is the one that has arisen in this very moment....and....it is the easiest desire to study and learn from. When any desire arises be mindful, attentive, and alert because here is your chance to discern its arising and what can inhibit further arisings.
chownah

salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:17 am

JamesTheGiant wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:20 pm
When i was a monk. It was TERRIBLE!
So difficult.
Even Ajahn Chah said he was tortured by his lust as a monk. He said sexual urges were among the last desires to fade.
One time when he was a monk, he had to move to a hut where nobody could see him on his walking meditation path, because he'd walk along it with a huge erection under his robe, and he felt he had to pull the clothing away from his body otherwise his clothing would rub pleasurably upon it!

There's a whole big movement these days called NO FAP. It's aimed at laypeople so might be quite useful for you. Offers techniques and tips.
do you have source for what ajahn chah said
16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta

links:
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm
http://thaiforestwisdom.org/canonical-texts/
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-conte ... _Heart.pdf
https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html

salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:20 am

Zom wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:23 am
Probably this measure works better for renunciates and in a long term (years or even dozens of years period) with obligatory supporting practices like constant sense doors guarding (which an impossibility in a lay life).
why say this when there are lay non-returners who have done just that
16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta

links:
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm
http://thaiforestwisdom.org/canonical-texts/
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-conte ... _Heart.pdf
https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html

justindesilva

Post by justindesilva » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:27 am

befriend wrote:
In fact Brahmacarya means supremacy in behaviour. With early Brahman society creator of this earth and beings was the supreme in character. They believed that to be one with BRAHMA after death one has to develop the character of Brahma.
In Buddhism with the development of dana seela bhavana to gain wisdom one has to walk the path of arya ashtanga seela along which path one attains the stages as Sovan sakurdagami anagami and arhat.
As at sovan one has not developed the desire to overcome sexual activities. But those who are with other noble stages develops the mind to overcome sexual desires. This is why lord budda explained the way to live with in society per sutra Singalovada sutta and parabhava sutta so that one can manuver ones life through developing the noble eight fold path.
These two sutra explain how to use sensual urges as lay people by controlling desires to limits so that one will stick to the family and not indulging in liquor and drugs.
It is also explained who one should marry and how to use the wealth usefully.
Lord budda understood that it is difficult to totally control sensual desires for a layman like us in this society.
The mind is the fore runner in our life and controlling our desires is controlling our own mind. ( Mano pubbangama damma mano setta manomaya manasa ce pasannena basati va karotiva........) see poem 1 in Damma padha.

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:50 am

salayatananirodha wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:17 am
do you have source for what ajahn chah said
The story is common knowledge among monks in the Ajahn Chah tradition, but I should be surprised if it's found anywhere in print. It's just not the kind of biographical detail that Thais would normally put into books.
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta

form

Post by form » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:03 pm

The metaphor of Mara's three daughters tempting the Buddha in the night he attained enlightenment, could be interpretated as the wildest sexual fantasy test for him.