Too many triggers - how do you deal with them?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
alfa

Too many triggers - how do you deal with them?

Post by alfa » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:46 am

:namaste:

A stray memory, a word, a random thought - just about anything could trigger pain, frustration, or such negative emotions.

While mindfulness is good, how do u deal with TRIGGERS specifically? They just occur suddenly and catch you unawares.

:anjali:

cappuccino

Re: Too many triggers - how do you deal with them?

Post by cappuccino » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:23 am

Feelings are an indulgence

You don't need to indulge

But then you won't be human

Humans are always suffering

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:26 am

It is the nature of the mind to contact with various objects.
With inappropriate attention (Ayoniso Manasikara) it leads you to suffer.

==========
Awareness is the process of cittas experiencing objects. For a citta to arise it must have an object
(ārammaṇa). The object may be a colour, sound, smell, taste, something tangible, or a mental
object. These are the six external objects. Strictly speaking a mental object can be an internal
phenomenon, such as a feeling, a thought, or an idea, but as forming the objective sphere of
experience they are all classed as external. Corresponding to these external objects there are six
internal sense faculties, called “doors” since they are the portals through which the objects enter
the field of cognition. These are the eye, ear, nose, tongue, body and mind. Each of the five
physical sense faculties can receive only its appropriate object; the mind door, however, can
receive both its own proper mental objects as well as the objects of the five physical senses.
When a door receives its object, there arises a corresponding state of consciousness, such as eyeconsciousness, ear-consciousness, etc. The union of the object, the door or sense faculty, and the
consciousness is called “contact” (phassa). There can be no awareness without contact. For
contact to occur all three components must be present—object, door, and consciousness. If one
is missing there will be no contact. The process of the arising of consciousness and the
subsequent train of events is analysed in detail in the Abhidhamma. A study of this analysis
will show that only “bare phenomena” are taking place and that there is no “self” involved in
this process. This is the no-self characteristic of existence.

http://103.242.110.22/theravadins/Engli ... actice.pdf
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

chownah

Post by chownah » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:35 am

alfa wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:46 am

A stray memory, a word, a random thought - just about anything could trigger pain, frustration, or such negative emotions.

While mindfulness is good, how do u deal with TRIGGERS specifically? They just occur suddenly and catch you unawares.

Your "triggers" are a result of past kamma. If you calm the mind and observe these triggers as they happen so as to not make new kamma you will gradually have fewer and fewer triggers to deal with....I guess....don't know for sure.....
chownah

JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:10 am

On a Vipassana/satipatthana retreat, you practise non-reactivity thousands of times a day. This massively helps non-reactivity to triggering things that happen in normal life.

Alīno

Post by Alīno » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:24 am

Be patient...
As it was said is a kamma, we have to accept it without greed (following it) hatred (rejecting it) or delusion (not be aware of it) ... If you nourish it with reaction it will sustain, if you don't nourish It, it will weaken it's power and duration. The first "battle" is the most painfull one...just accept It, because it's completely yours :(

Buddha said that patience is the foremost of ascetic practices...

Also you can engage in activity that is in opposition of that unwholesome state. Like practicing metta while in anger etc... For exemple while sensual desires or some passions arise in mind and I can't bear them, I made a playlist on YouTube with videos that generate dispassion in my mind, so it helps to overcome pain. It not helps to uproot them, but at least you your mind is no more deluded by these hindrances so you can continue your practice...

Back to your meditation object like breath, body etc. It's your anchor to the present moment because there is no place for dukkha in the present moment... Only future and past make us suffer...

To uproot these triggers you need to observe Volitional Formations khandha. The pain that you feel is a volition, craving, it destord your mind, deform it, deform your vision, you don't see clearly... The problem with Volitional Formations is that they come from " inside" so citta strongly identify with them (thoughts goes from "outside" so its easyer to detach from them). So try to study Anicca, Dukkha and Anatta qualities of Volitional Formations...

Laurens

Post by Laurens » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:05 am

I think awareness is key, because awareness is how you know you are stuck in a habitual pattern. Once that step is taken then you can choose to interrupt it.

It happened to me the other day when I got caught out in the rain with inadequate waterproofs on. My immediate response was to be triggered into a habitual pattern of thoughts: oh God... I can't stand this, I'm going to get soaked, this is so uncomfortable, I'm cold, wet, this is horrible... then I realised what I was doing. I was just creating this unease in my own head. Actually being wet is how it is, it feels a certain way. And it is quite tolerable once you stop indulging the voice that tells you that you cannot possibly tolerate it. After I engaged awareness I found the experience quite interesting and joyous in a way. I ended up walking home with a big grin on my face---which probably looked strange to passers by considering how soaked I must have looked.

It begins with mindfulness. Once you know you have been or are being triggered you can interrupt the loop and stop that boring tape from being played. It's not always going to be the case and some loops are more persistent than others, but initially it takes mindful awareness.
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

santa100

Post by santa100 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:50 pm

alfa wrote:While mindfulness is good, how do u deal with TRIGGERS specifically? They just occur suddenly and catch you unawares.
With training, they'll come and they'll leave naturally:
Ud 1.10 wrote:Then, Bāhiya, you should train yourself thus: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized. That is how you should train yourself. When for you there will be only the seen in reference to the seen, only the heard in reference to the heard, only the sensed in reference to the sensed, only the cognized in reference to the cognized, then, Bāhiya, there is no you in connection with that. When there is no you in connection with that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of stress."

binocular

Post by binocular » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:22 pm

alfa wrote:

1. Reflect on the impracticalities and downsides of perfectionism.
2. Live by a schedule and daily plan. So that at any time of the day you know what you're supposed to be doing (as opposed to chasing after every mental fly that buzzes in the mind).
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:38 pm

To me, the word "trigger" means that once it has happened, it is too late and there is no going back and nothing you can do about it. It puts you in a passive state where things happen to you. As others have mentioned, mindfulness, concentration especially can give you more space to be aware of these dangerous areas so you can stop your automatic reactions, and thus have some freedom around trouble spots.

2600htz

Post by 2600htz » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:57 pm

alfa wrote:

Hello:

1) The instructions are:

-Allow stray memories, words or random thoughts to arise
-Release in a natural way your attention from them
-Relax a bit
-Pay attention to something else

Its pretty simple, but its hard to find the right amount of energy. Because of the nature of your question you probably at first will try to crush the hindrance or put too much energy. So go 5 levels softer than you think you should.

Regards.

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:14 pm

One way to learn to deal with them in a very practical manner begins on the meditation cushion. Here's a link to the teaching on how and why it can work. There are some Tibetan words used but they are explained in the article. https://www.lionsroar.com/how-we-get-ho ... -unhooked/ (If you get a pop-up window on the site, just click on a blank space, it will go away.)

I have found this method very effective with practice, perhaps you may also find it useful.

ETA Mods: hope it's OK to post this in Gen. Theravada forum. The process described isn't specific to one school, but if it's a problem, please delete. Thanks.

upekka

Post by upekka » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:22 pm

whatever comes through six sense media is a perception. clinging to perception brings suffering. once one sees this one could get rid of suffering. for this, one should know (see) this truth and should be mindful to such truth.

how does one could see (know) this truth? just by doing Insight meditation.

Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:35 am

Is it like this?

I guess we have set too many traps it has become a minefield. Just let the wee mouses go.
O seeing one,we for refuge go to thee!
O mighty sage do thou our teacher be!

Paccuppannañca yo dhammaṃ,
Tattha tattha vipassati

“Yato yato mano nivāraye,
Na dukkhameti naṃ tato tato;
Sa sabbato mano nivāraye,
Sa sabbato dukkhā pamuccatī”ti.