Does this quote have a basis in the Pali cannon?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
tamdrin

Does this quote have a basis in the Pali cannon?

Post by tamdrin » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:07 am

Hello,

I heard a teaching from the Mahayana that goes something to the effect of "Consider yourself a sick person. Consider the Buddha as a doctor. Consider the dharma as a medicine. And consider diligent practice as the way to recover".

Does this or any similar idea have basis in the Pali cannon?

Thanks.

santa100

Re: Does this quote have a basis in the Pali cannon?

Post by santa100 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:37 pm

tamdrin wrote:Does this or any similar idea have basis in the Pali cannon?
From MN 105:
MN 105 wrote:Suppose that a man were wounded with an arrow thickly smeared with poison. His friends & companions, kinsmen & relatives would provide him with a surgeon. The surgeon would cut around the opening of the wound with a knife and then would probe for the arrow with a probe. He then would pull out the arrow and extract the poison, leaving no residue behind. Knowing that no residue was left behind, he would say, 'My good man, your arrow has been pulled out. The poison has been extracted, with no residue left behind, so it is not enough to do you harm. Eat suitable food. Don't eat unsuitable food, or else the wound will fester. Wash the wound frequently, smear it with an ointment frequently, so that blood & pus don't fill the opening of the wound. Don't walk around in the wind & sun, or else dust & dirt may contaminate the opening of the wound. Keep looking after the wound, my good man, and work for its healing.'
I have given this simile to convey a meaning. The meaning is this: the wound stands for the six internal sense media; the poison, for ignorance; the arrow, for craving; the probe, for mindfulness; the knife, for noble discernment; the surgeon, for the Tathagata, worthy & rightly self-awakened."