Mindfulness and memory: an experiment: the proof

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Post Reply
form
Posts: 1205
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:23 am

Mindfulness and memory: an experiment: the proof

Post by form » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:57 pm

If one stay mindful for a period of time and review his memory over that period. And vice versa and review the memory on another period. Compare. Which period is the memory way more superior?

This is the proof that there is no self.

User avatar
JamesTheGiant
Posts: 1003
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:41 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Mindfulness and memory: an experiment: the proof

Post by JamesTheGiant » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:01 pm

Your post is a little confusing. It's not exactly clear what the two options are. Can you clarify with examples? :namaste:

User avatar
Idappaccayata
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:54 pm

Re: Mindfulness and memory: an experiment: the proof

Post by Idappaccayata » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:19 pm

JamesTheGiant wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:01 pm
Your post is a little confusing. It's not exactly clear what the two options are. Can you clarify with examples? :namaste:
I think he means to ardently practice mindfulness for, say, a week, then review how much you remember from the past week - vs how much you remember from a week of no mindfulness.
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero

form
Posts: 1205
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:23 am

Re: Mindfulness and memory: an experiment: the proof

Post by form » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:30 pm

JamesTheGiant wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:01 pm
Your post is a little confusing. It's not exactly clear what the two options are. Can you clarify with examples? :namaste:
First mode: with mindfulness (for details on how to practice refer to W Rahula's what the Buddha taught or B. Bodhi's The Noble 8foldpath).

Second mode: without mindfulness (with self mode)

Note: definition of self can make a big difference in the result.

chownah
Posts: 8248
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Mindfulness and memory: an experiment: the proof

Post by chownah » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:43 am

College students might try this experiment. Place your statistics book in front of you and remain mindful of it for a couple of hours......then open the book and study it for a couple of hours....then compare what you remember from each of the two hour periods.

Is this what this topic is about?
chownah

form
Posts: 1205
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:23 am

Re: Mindfulness and memory: an experiment: the proof

Post by form » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:28 am

chownah wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:43 am
College students might try this experiment. Place your statistics book in front of you and remain mindful of it for a couple of hours......then open the book and study it for a couple of hours....then compare what you remember from each of the two hour periods.

Is this what this topic is about?
chownah
This subject is not so good for mindfulness. It is more of recalling what was experienced throughout the day than memorizing specific materials. It is more of measure of the extent memories are distorted with less mindfulness.

chownah
Posts: 8248
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Mindfulness and memory: an experiment: the proof

Post by chownah » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:43 am

form wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:28 am
chownah wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:43 am
College students might try this experiment. Place your statistics book in front of you and remain mindful of it for a couple of hours......then open the book and study it for a couple of hours....then compare what you remember from each of the two hour periods.

Is this what this topic is about?
chownah
This subject is not so good for mindfulness. It is more of recalling what was experienced throughout the day than memorizing specific materials. It is more of measure of the extent memories are distorted with less mindfulness.
How can you tell if a memory is distorted or not?
chownah

Dinsdale
Posts: 6674
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Andromeda looks nice

Re: Mindfulness and memory: an experiment: the proof

Post by Dinsdale » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:57 am

form wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:57 pm
If one stay mindful for a period of time and review his memory over that period. And vice versa and review the memory on another period. Compare. Which period is the memory way more superior?

This is the proof that there is no self.
Clearly if you're paying close attention to experiences, then you are likely to remember those experiences more clearly.
But I don't see what this has to do with no self.
Buddha save me from new-agers!

User avatar
Nwad
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Re: Mindfulness and memory: an experiment: the proof

Post by Nwad » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:11 am

Dinsdale wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:57 am
Clearly if you're paying close attention to experiences, then you are likely to remember those experiences more clearly.
But I don't see what this has to do with no self.
Seeing clearly with discernment practitioner see :with arising of this -that arises, with cessation of that - this ceases...

So one who develop mindfulness is more likely to discern conditioned arising of things (internally and externaly) throught his day... So he see anicca, dukkha and anatta of conditioned things, seeing it directly and understanding them his mind is naturally dispassioned, being dispassioned he not craving for them, not craving for them he not suffer about them, not suffering about conditioned things one is liberated from dukkha...

I think its an intresting experiance. We can do the same but with watching on dukkha level without and with sati. :anjali: imho

form
Posts: 1205
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:23 am

Re: Mindfulness and memory: an experiment: the proof

Post by form » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:18 am

chownah wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:43 am
form wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:28 am
chownah wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:43 am
College students might try this experiment. Place your statistics book in front of you and remain mindful of it for a couple of hours......then open the book and study it for a couple of hours....then compare what you remember from each of the two hour periods.

Is this what this topic is about?
chownah
This subject is not so good for mindfulness. It is more of recalling what was experienced throughout the day than memorizing specific materials. It is more of measure of the extent memories are distorted with less mindfulness.
How can you tell if a memory is distorted or not?
chownah
It is kind of multiple recalls on different occasions but not on purpose. Then u realise something u thought was like a certain way did not occur like what u first thought it is.

form
Posts: 1205
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:23 am

Re: Mindfulness and memory: an experiment: the proof

Post by form » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:21 am

Dinsdale wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:57 am
form wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:57 pm
If one stay mindful for a period of time and review his memory over that period. And vice versa and review the memory on another period. Compare. Which period is the memory way more superior?

This is the proof that there is no self.
Clearly if you're paying close attention to experiences, then you are likely to remember those experiences more clearly.
But I don't see what this has to do with no self.
The emotional and stereotyping filters seems to be stronger when permanent-self view is strong.

User avatar
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:06 pm

Re: Mindfulness and memory: an experiment: the proof

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:28 pm

form wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:57 pm
...
...
... that there is no self.
:heart: :heart: :heart:
🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐
  • "the one thing all the mistaken views have in common is the assump­tion that the self exists" ~ DN1
  • "It is an entirely and perfectly foolish idea" ~ MN22
  • The No-self doctrine is found only in the teaching of the Buddha.
  • No-self (anatta) means that there is no permanent, unchanging entity in anything animate or inanimate. ~ SN22.59

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bryozoa, cookiemonster, Keith, retrofuturist and 142 guests