any fast way of burning up karma?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
pegembara

Re: any fast way of burning up karma?

Post by pegembara » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:43 am

fullyunenlightened wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:34 am
well, for so many years observing the anger/pain/noise etc is exactly what i was doing
i would do it to the point where there was nothing but the anger and my one pointed observation
in all that time i was practicing that way i had doubts that it was the right way to deal with it
whenever one takes an object thats moving and looks at it......one fixes onto it.....in other words...attatching
to it, right?
ive had my success's in watching pain diminish.....sometimes quite quickly, but more often its like endless.
the idea of fixing on something dont sound right
ive been practicing differently for a few weeks now
i now make efforts not to fix on it (anger/pain/noise etc ) and try to be just in the middle of all these changing
phenomena without taking one thing and ignoring the rest
"seeing everything, noticing nothing"
i appreciate your views on this
The reason anger stays is because you are feeding the fire with thoughts. Anger is adrenalin, heart pumping, blood rushing etc. If you don’t feed the fire it will go out.
I suspect being in the middle of things means you are actually not feeding the anger.
Seeing everything and noticing nothing is a form of sense restraint practice. You stop picking up “signs and features” of things eg. Tall, black, aggressive, arrogant, hateful etc. That’s just thinking.

Maybe try to observe those thoughts instead of living them.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

Padipa

Post by Padipa » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:41 am

fullyunenlightened wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:26 am
say someone deliberately does you harm and you get full blown anger arising
is there any way to burn it out quickly? like, putting full attention on it.....would
that make it disappear any more quickly?
This is where your training in mindfulness comes in to save, so long as you have been practicing & developing it. Take your mind elsewhere with mindfulness, or else make a direct attack upon the anger by mindfully focusing upon the uselessness of it, the destruction of which it's capable, or the degree to which it blinds you while under its spell.

This is why meditation, particularly mindfulness, is a vital component to striving with Buddhism. It was, indeed, in his state of mindfulness that SG made his final great breakthrough to the other side. Remember, as the Dhammapada says, one who controls/conquers himself achieves the greatest of all victories. And the conquering of oneself comes through the skill of taming the mind, probably best done in mindfulness.

"Oh Bhikkus, a tamed, controlled, well guarded mind is a great advantage." jt

sunnat

Post by sunnat » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:29 am

It is not my anger. It is predominantly fire element. It is elements, air, fire, water, earth. It rises, stays and passes away. It is impermanent, not self. Don't identify with the phenomenon. Just calmly be aware of it. Be happy.

fullyunenlightened

Post by fullyunenlightened » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:48 am

sunnat wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:29 am
It is not my anger. It is predominantly fire element. It is elements, air, fire, water, earth. It rises, stays and passes away. It is impermanent, not self. Don't identify with the phenomenon. Just calmly be aware of it. Be happy.
are you saying that if you take it to be not self/impermanent as you are aware of it
then the heat, the burning and the pain of it is not there?

sunnat

Post by sunnat » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:18 pm

Seeing it (any it) as it is, elemental, impermanent, not self, helps to detach and let go.

fullyunenlightened

Post by fullyunenlightened » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:42 pm

sunnat wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:18 pm
Seeing it (any it) as it is, elemental, impermanent, not self, helps to detach and let go.
i have seen just the way youve described it.....if its done in a certain way the suffering
seems to be less. but its hard to replicate. you got to get everything right regarding the
way youre dealing with the problem. and sometimes the act of confronting suffering
becomes a chalenge----a thing you relish.
hard to replicate

sunnat

Post by sunnat » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:17 pm

Ok. Just keep trying. Patience. Keep returning to the breath, or object of meditation. At the same time, don't give the anger any more importance than anything else that's happening. Use it as an opportunity to develop equanimity.