Degree in Buddhist Studies

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SDC

Degree in Buddhist Studies

Post by SDC » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:18 pm

Wasn't really sure where to put this thread...

Does anyone have any information on what would be the most relevant programs - and at which universities - for a degree in Buddhist Studies and/or Pali? I would imagine several universities in Colombo, Sri Lanka would be the most prominent, but do any others come to mind?

I think my formal education days have long past me, but I don't recall a thread dedicated to this topic and I think it could be a useful source of information.

Disciple

Re: Degree in Buddhist Studies

Post by Disciple » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:38 pm

Hello SDC. Check out Naropa University in boulder, Colorado. Should be some programs available there.

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:42 pm

why pay for a degree, if you can study for free

for the cost of books

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:10 pm

https://ocbs.org/
Oxford Centre for Buddist Studies

https://tricycle.org/magazine/where-to-study/
(Oops -- didn't see "this article is only for subscribers.")
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:59 pm

Quite a few in California:
https://tricycle.org/magazine/where-to-study/

UC Berkley has a specific one in Buddhist studies, but they are graduate programs, M.A. or Ph.D.
http://buddhiststudies.berkeley.edu/graduate/

University of the West in Los Angeles sounds like a good place and good programs, imo.

It is affiliated with the HSI-LAI temple and is mostly Mahayana based, but they are very pan-buddhist as well. Ayya Khema ordained there as a Theravada bhikkhuni (at HSI-LAI).

http://www.uwest.edu/about-uwest/our-founder/

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:54 pm

Greetings,
cappuccino wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:42 pm
why pay for a degree, if you can study for free

for the cost of books
Whilst I don't necessarily disagree, that's not what this topic is about.

:focus:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:56 am

The OP asks what is most relevant. Relevance is found in the individual and nowhere else. The individual wanting to find some relevance would likely benefit by getting some books and studying on their own....if relevance is found then the individual can decide what course of study would be appropriate and where to find that course of study.
chownah

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:50 am

UCLA, Univ of Washington, and Harvard all have buddhist studies graduate degrees.....I checked these three out and they all had them....there are probably a lot of other regular universities around the world that offer this also.
chownah

SDC

Post by SDC » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:58 pm

chownah wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:56 am
The OP asks what is most relevant. Relevance is found in the individual and nowhere else. The individual wanting to find some relevance would likely benefit by getting some books and studying on their own....if relevance is found then the individual can decide what course of study would be appropriate and where to find that course of study.
chownah
I guess I should have said most prominent...among scholars, I suppose?

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:07 pm

SDC wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:58 pm
chownah wrote:
chownah
Being most prominent among scholars is one thing that some people might consider to be relevant....while others might not......I like relevance better because it points right to the individual who after all is the one who will make the decision and suffer if their own sense of relevance is not satisfied.

Of course, I am not suggesting that an individual must isolate oneself from others as a way to find what that individual considers to be relevant.....asking people to discuss what issues they find as being relevant might very well help an individual to find what they do or do not feel is relevant.
chownah

SDC

Post by SDC » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:39 pm

chownah wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:07 pm
SDC wrote:
chownah wrote:
chownah
Being most prominent among scholars is one thing that some people might consider to be relevant....while others might not......I like relevance better because it points right to the individual who after all is the one who will make the decision and suffer if their own sense of relevance is not satisfied.

Of course, I am not suggesting that an individual must isolate oneself from others as a way to find what that individual considers to be relevant.....asking people to discuss what issues they find as being relevant might very well help an individual to find what they do or do not feel is relevant.
chownah
Thank you for the full scope of how this question could have been asked. I for one don't care much for what scholars have to say beyond a certain point, but it is relevant to me to know which universities they would consider - ah a new adjective - most reputable.

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:06 pm

SDC wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:39 pm
chownah wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:07 pm
SDC wrote:

chownah
Thank you for the full scope of how this question could have been asked. I for one don't care much for what scholars have to say beyond a certain point, but it is relevant to me to know which universities they would consider - ah a new adjective - most reputable.
I'm surprised that you think that I presented the full scope of how this question could have been asked....I thought I was just discussing how the question actually was asked in the OP. I thought that the way it actually was asked was excellent.....but I guess you really weren't intending that kind of excellence but some other kind of excellence.....some other kind of excellence which I don't find very relevant.

But, enough of this theoretic discussion....if any school has scholars studying in buddhist studies there then it is probably a good bet that they find their school as "reputable"....it seems unlikely that they would find it "unreputable"....I guess....don't really know for sure.....
chownah

SDC

Post by SDC » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:29 pm

chownah wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:06 pm
...but I guess you really weren't intending that kind of excellence but some other kind of excellence.....some other kind of excellence which I don't find very relevant.
Pretty much. More of a worldly framework situation. That which the academics would hold in high regard. As dry as that is, I am interested in having that information.

Some great answers so far up top. Much thanks.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:56 pm

Hi SDC,

Clearly there are some prominent places in Asia that are quite English-Friendly, such as The University of Hong Kong https://www.buddhism.hku.hk/. Some of the Taiwan institutions may also be worth looking at. Matt Osborn (formerly Ven Huifeng), who used to post here, earned his PhD in Hong Kong and now, I gather, works at NTU.

The Asian institutions tend to have strong connections with Buddhist practitioners, which seems a bit different from many Western institutions.

:heart:
Mike

chownah

Post by chownah » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:46 am

mikenz66 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:56 pm
The Asian institutions tend to have strong connections with Buddhist practitioners, which seems a bit different from many Western institutions.
Good point. If being exposed to asian buddhist practitioners is considered to be relevant then certainly asian schools have a distinct advantage. Not wanting to diminish this fact I would point out that if one doesn't want to live in asia there is a sort of buddhist center at UCLA which purports to have a vibrant community of varoius buddhist practicioners and is in some way connected with their buddhist studies program.
chownah