Why Buddha never state which part of us is mind sense base ?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
sentinel

Why Buddha never state which part of us is mind sense base ?

Post by sentinel »

Which part of us can be identified as mind base ?
It is peculiar that we can not be certain of mind base like the other base ?
You always gain by giving
chownah

Re: Why Buddha never state which part of us is mind sense base ?

Post by chownah »

Some people have said that the buddha associated the mind with the heart but I haven't seen the sutta which supports this view.....I think that usually people associate the mind with the brain and I'm pretty sure that there is not sutta which support this because I think that the brain was not widely understood at the time of the buddha.
chownah
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Mahanama Sutta

"Suppose a man were to throw a jar of ghee or a jar of oil into a deep lake of water, where it would break. There the shards & jar-fragments would go down, while the ghee or oil would rise upward and separate out. In the same way, if one's mind has long been nurtured with conviction, nurtured with virtue, nurtured with learning, nurtured with relinquishment, nurtured with discernment, then when the body... is eaten by crows, vultures, hawks, dogs, hyenas, or all sorts of creatures, nevertheless the mind... rises upward and separates out."

the mind is in the jar.? the ghee is the brain.?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sentinel,
sentinel wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:29 am Which part of us can be identified as mind base ?
Precisely that you conceive of it as "mind base" means you are already conceiving it as a "me" or "mine", separately from mind-objects.

Nothing should be identified as "mind base", because when there is "mind base" there will be "mind objects", and "contact"(phassa) between the two. Bringing about the cessation of phassa (rather than bringing about its arising) is the pathway to the cessation of dukkha.

All the best.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

retrofuturist wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:25 pm Greetings Sentinel,
Precisely that you conceive of it as "mind base" means you are already conceiving it as a "me" or "mine", separately from mind-objects.

Nothing should be identified as "mind base", because when there is "mind base" there will be "mind objects", and "contact"(phassa) between the two. Bringing about the cessation of phassa (rather than bringing about its arising) is the pathway to the cessation of dukkha.
Well expressed, and very similar to a sutta which I am trying to recall. Is this a paraphrase of a particular sutta you had in mind?

:anjali:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sam,
Sam Vara wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:12 pm Well expressed, and very similar to a sutta which I am trying to recall. Is this a paraphrase of a particular sutta you had in mind?
Thanks. Not consciously, but if you do find the sutta you're thinking of, I'd be keen to see it... both for the benefit of this conversation, and other ones where the meaning and causes of "phassa" come to be discussed.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

retrofuturist wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:25 pm Greetings Sentinel,
sentinel wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:29 am Which part of us can be identified as mind base ?

All the best.

Metta,
Unfortunately I don't know what is the mind base , so I am not conceiving something as mind base .
Didn't the Buddha taught six sense base vs six sense object ? Mind is the number six as Buddha conceived it btw .
When you said contact or phassa in the above , was it similar to what the Buddha taught " phassa " per the dependent origination ?
You always gain by giving
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Where is the mind base of an Arupavacara beings. (Brahma etc)
Ven. Narada mentioned Buddha has said "It depend on this very thing"
I can't support this with a Sutta.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

sunnat wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:11 pm if one's mind (cittaṃ) has long been nurtured with conviction, nurtured with virtue, nurtured with learning, nurtured with relinquishment, nurtured with discernment, then when the body... is eaten by crows, vultures, hawks, dogs, hyenas, or all sorts of creatures, nevertheless the mind (cittaṃ) ... rises upward and separates out."
The Mahānāma Sutta refers to "citta", which is not the mind-base ("mano"). Instead, per Satipatthana/Anapanasati, "citta" appears to be an object of the mind-base rather than the mind-base. :smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
chownah

Post by chownah »

sentinel wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:42 am
Unfortunately I don't know what is the mind base , so I am not conceiving something as mind base .
Didn't the Buddha taught six sense base vs six sense object ? Mind is the number six as Buddha conceived it btw .
When you said contact or phassa in the above , was it similar to what the Buddha taught " phassa " per the dependent origination ?
I think that what retrofuturist is saying is that it doesn't really matter what you conceive of as being the mind base.....you will obtain negative results from conceiving any kind of a mind base at all....

I will add that my view is that this is because the mind base is a fabrication and it is not what is fabricated as a mind base which is important but rather it is the process of fabricating the mind base which needs to be examined.
chownah
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings chownah,

Nicely said.

Spot on. 100%.

:namaste:

Metta,
santa100

Post by santa100 »

sentinel wrote:Didn't the Buddha taught six sense base vs six sense object ? Mind is the number six as Buddha conceived it btw
Correct, mind base is the 6th base, except it's not material-based like the first five. Ven. Bodhi's note citing the Abhidhamma's definition:
Mindbase/ManaYatana wrote:Mind base(ManaYatana): collective term for all classes of consciousness. One part of this base, the Life Continuum(bhavanga/store consciousness/subliminal consciousness) is the door for the arising of mind consciousness.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I agree Santa.
Even other five mind bases are also a part of the mind base.
For instance the physical ear is not the ear base.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

If a leg, two legs, arms, various organs, the trunk, neck, lungs (replaced with pumps etc) are amputated, will there still be consciousness.? If the cranium, jaws, tounge, eyes, nose etc, is removed, will there still be consciousness? If nothing except the brain is cut out, will there still be consciousness..? Is there less mind if a finger is cut off.?
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

sunnat wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:20 am If a leg, two legs, arms, various organs, the trunk, neck, lungs (replaced with pumps etc) are amputated, will there still be consciousness.? If the cranium, jaws, tounge, eyes, nose etc, is removed, will there still be consciousness? If nothing except the brain is cut out, will there still be consciousness..? Is there less mind if a finger is cut off.?
Buddha-Dhamma refers to six-fold consciousness. If a finger is cut off, the result will be the loss of body-consciousness operating via that finger.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati