Book recommendations for teens

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Post Reply
cookiemonster
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:42 am

Book recommendations for teens

Post by cookiemonster » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:30 am

Does anyone know of any good, comprehensive books on Buddha-Dhamma targeted to the 13-16 age group? I had in mind something like the content of Ven. Bodhi's book "In the Buddha's Words", but uses easier English for younger readers. Thank you.

justindesilva
Posts: 1016
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:38 pm

Re: Book recommendations for teens

Post by justindesilva » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:28 am

cookiemonster wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:30 am
Does anyone know of any good, comprehensive books on Buddha-Dhamma targeted to the 13-16 age group? I had in mind something like the content of Ven. Bodhi's book "In the Buddha's Words", but uses easier English for younger readers. Thank you.
I believe that "Buddhism in a nutshell" by ven Narada thero would be a good suggestion for this.

cookiemonster
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:42 am

Re: Book recommendations for teens

Post by cookiemonster » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:08 pm

justindesilva wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:28 am
cookiemonster wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:30 am
Does anyone know of any good, comprehensive books on Buddha-Dhamma targeted to the 13-16 age group? I had in mind something like the content of Ven. Bodhi's book "In the Buddha's Words", but uses easier English for younger readers. Thank you.
I believe that "Buddhism in a nutshell" by ven Narada thero would be a good suggestion for this.
Thank you for the recommendation!

Dan74
Posts: 3106
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:12 pm

Re: Book recommendations for teens

Post by Dan74 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:49 pm

A friend asked me for one and if I could jot something down for his troubled young daughter. It does seem that there isn't anything aimed at the youth, right?
_/|\_

cookiemonster
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:42 am

Re: Book recommendations for teens

Post by cookiemonster » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:06 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:49 pm
A friend asked me for one and if I could jot something down for his troubled young daughter. It does seem that there isn't anything aimed at the youth, right?
I haven't found much material for the preteen or teen years ... it seems most Theravada reading material are either super simplistic & aimed towards children, or complex for scholarly minded adults.

User avatar
salayatananirodha
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:34 am
Contact:

Re: Book recommendations for teens

Post by salayatananirodha » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:07 pm

i was asked to print off some resources for someone at a middle school reading level. anyone have any preferably free and also that could fit perhaps in a 8-page letter? i might just print off a few suttas
16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta


links:
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm
http://thaiforestwisdom.org/canonical-texts/
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-conte ... _Heart.pdf
https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 147 guests