Types of Kamma

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Wizard in the Forest

Types of Kamma

Post by Wizard in the Forest » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:43 pm

I recall hearing about the impact of kamma in some text but I have forgotten the kinds of kamma in referral to both the pali terms for them but also the kinds of kamma and I'm hoping for a refresher.

This is not asking about the niyamas (because I remember those), but about the measure of kammic impactfulness.

I remember Kamma that there is kamma for doing an action (good or bad applies in all cases)
Kamma that is made when someone is prompted to do it by someone else.
Kamma that one speaks praise of doing.
Kamma that one thinks is a good thing.

Basically I am asking for abhidhamma, suttas, and anything in the vinaya that one can remember referring to the types of Kamma, I want to refresh my memory and would appreciate as much help as possible.

Apologies if it sounds too vague, but really anything helps. :anjali:
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir

cappuccino

Re: Types of Kamma

Post by cappuccino » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:17 am

Vipaka Sutta: Results
The slightest of all the results coming from drinking fermented & distilled liquors is that, when one becomes a human being, it leads to mental derangement.
The Shorter Exposition of Kamma
This is the way that leads to beauty, that is to say, not to be angry or given to much rage; even when much is said, not to be furious, angry, ill-disposed or resentful, or to show ill-temper, hate or surliness.

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:00 am

See chapter 5 of the Abhidhammatthasaṅgaha.

https://www.saraniya.com/books/meditati ... dhamma.pdf
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta

Eraka

Post by Eraka » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:39 pm

Four types of deeds/kamma?

https://suttacentral.net/an4.237

Wizard in the Forest

Post by Wizard in the Forest » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:40 pm

I remember a Venerable saying
Venerable Pesala Bhikkhu wrote: If one urges another to kill, condones killing, or speaks in praise of it, and if someone else kills that person due to one’s speech, then one is guilty of killing, just as if one had done it with one’s own hand.
The actions are

Doing the killing oneself.

Prompting or telling someone to kill for you.

Speaking publically in praise of murdering another person

Inwardly condoning murder in thoughts.

I remember all of these had names and this got me to go out in pursuit of what those types of karma modifiers were. I trust the venerable and I wondered what they were called because I remember at one point they were called something in the scriptures or abhidhamma but my fallible memory kicks me in the head.

Just gives me another reason to reread them, but if I can get what they are called I would be able to sort them out correctly.
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir