Nibbana and unconcious state same?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
cappuccino

Re: Nibbana and unconcious state same?

Post by cappuccino »

In other words, normal sensory consciousness is experienced because it has a "surface" against which it lands: the sense organs and their objects, which constitute the "all." For instance, we experience visual consciousness because of the eye and forms of which we are conscious. Consciousness without surface, however, is directly known, without intermediary, free from any dependence on conditions at all.
The Brahma Invitation
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

cappuccino wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:55 pm
pegembara wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:11 am As you hinted, consciousness dependently arises. Consciousness is not "something" floating in ether.
Consciousness without surface
You mean "consciousness" with NIBBANA as the object. Without "consciousness" there really isn't anything to discuss. It is finished.
There is, monks, an unborn[1] — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated. If there were not that unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, there would not be the case that escape from the born — become — made — fabricated would be discerned. But precisely because there is an unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, escape from the born — become — made — fabricated is discerned.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Nirvana isn't an object of consciousness

at least in the end

it's a state of consciousness
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:52 am Nirvana isn't an object of consciousness

at least in the end

it's a state of consciousness
"There is the unborn....." "There is also the born, the conditioned..."
Sounds pretty much like an object to me.

https://www.lionsroar.com/attending-to-the-deathless/

Doesn't matter what you call it so long as one recognised the Unconditioned as not-Self.

Sabbe sankhara anicca/dukkha
The Unconditioned is not anicca/dukkha

Sabbe dhamma anatta
The Unconditioned is not-Self.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

pegembara wrote: Sounds pretty much like an object to me.
it would be until the last stage
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:27 pm
pegembara wrote: Sounds pretty much like an object to me.
it would be until the last stage
What's left?
The Absolute? The One?
"Just as an oil lamp burns in dependence on oil & wick; and from the termination of the oil & wick — and from not being provided any other sustenance — it goes out unnourished; in the same way, when sensing a feeling limited to the body, he discerns that 'I am sensing a feeling limited to the body.' When sensing a feeling limited to life, he discerns that 'I am sensing a feeling limited to life.' He discerns that 'With the break-up of the body, after the termination of life, everything that is sensed, not being relished, will grow cold right here.'"

Buddhism is not Advaita
“Your greatest awakening comes, when you are aware about your infinite nature.”
― Amit Ray
“I am Lord God, so are you.”
― Abhijit Naskar, Lord is My Sheep: Gospel of Human
“In the non-dual state, God, soul and universe are essentially one absolute system which is all-pervading, uncreated, self-luminous and eternal.”
― Abhijit Naskar
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

It is the Unformed, the Unconditioned, the End,
the Truth, the Other Shore, the Subtle,
the Everlasting, the Invisible, the Undiversified,
Peace, the Deathless, the Blest, Safety,
the Wonderful, the Marvellous,
Nibbæna, Purity, Freedom,
the Island,
the Refuge, the Beyond.
~ S 43.1-44