Finding something someone has lost

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ben S Sombat

Finding something someone has lost

Post by Ben S Sombat » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:38 am

Hello everyone,
Can it be considered stealing if you find something on the ground outside and take it with you when it's clear that the person who might've lost it is not around?

May you all progress in your practice _/\_
Ben
พุทธัง สะระณัง คัจฉามิ :candle:
ธัมมัง สะระณัง คัจฉามิ :candle:
สังฆัง สะระณัง คัจฉามิ :candle:

sunnat

Re: Finding something someone has lost

Post by sunnat » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:46 am

The Venerable Ledi Sayadaw wrote : "Restraint from taking what is not given means abstaining from taking, with intention to steal, living beings or non living articles which have an owner, removing or appropriating them without the owner’s consent either by physical effort or by inciting another to do so."

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:51 am

sunnat wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:46 am
The Venerable Ledi Sayadaw wrote : "Restraint from taking what is not given means abstaining from taking, with intention to steal, living beings or non living articles which have an owner, removing or appropriating them without the owner’s consent either by physical effort or by inciting another to do so."
:goodpost:
🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐
  • "the one thing all the mistaken views have in common is the assump­tion that the self exists" ~ DN1
  • "It is an entirely and perfectly foolish idea" ~ MN22
  • The No-self doctrine is found only in the teaching of the Buddha.
  • No-self (anatta) means that there is no permanent, unchanging entity in anything animate or inanimate. ~ SN22.59

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:49 am

Maybe put it somewhere prominent so the person who lost it has a better chance of finding it?
Buddha save me from new-agers!

budo

Post by budo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:15 am

If it's just cash, you can take it, as cash cannot be linked to an owner. Maybe donate it. If you give it to police, they'll just keep it.

If it's something else, give it to lost and found. Why would you want it anyways?

chownah

Post by chownah » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:55 pm

I once found a one hundred dollar US bill on the floor of a store....I went to the lost and found and informed them that I had found a certain amount of money on the floor and if someone comes looking for it if they can describe it I will give it to them......here is my phone number so you can call me if anyone asks about a sum of money lost.

Needle to say no one claimed it....I think the lost and found people were disappointd.
chownah

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:36 pm

chownah wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:55 pm
I once found a one hundred dollar US bill on the floor of a store....I went to the lost and found and informed them that I had found a certain amount of money on the floor and if someone comes looking for it if they can describe it I will give it to them......here is my phone number so you can call me if anyone asks about a sum of money lost.

Needle to say no one claimed it....I think the lost and found people were disappointd.
chownah
That was mine! :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!

Laurens

Post by Laurens » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:42 pm

The precept is to not take that which is not given to you.

If you drop your wallet on the street, are you giving it away?
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

chownah

Post by chownah » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:56 am

Check out wikipedia for "theft by finding".
chownah

justindesilva

Post by justindesilva » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:44 am

Laurens wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:42 pm
The precept is to not take that which is not given to you.

If you drop your wallet on the street, are you giving it away?
This is the principle of 2nd precept. If it is lost and found it means it is not earned dutifully. Hence if the real owner can not be found the best thing to be done is to give it under " Dana" for a useful purpose and make merits
(Anumodana) to the person who dutifully owns the lost object. This way we wave the klesha arising out of tanha to the lost object.

sunnat

Post by sunnat » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:59 am

sadhu :anjali:

seeker242

Post by seeker242 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:04 pm

Ben S Sombat wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:38 am
Can it be considered stealing if you find something on the ground outside and take it with you when it's clear that the person who might've lost it is not around?
Technically, It is in Florida. The police can even arrest you if they catch you keeping it for yourself. Although, I doubt they would do that over a couple dollars.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:54 pm

It is also theft in the UK.

Finders Keepers
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

justindesilva

Post by justindesilva » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:36 am

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:54 pm
It is also theft in the UK.

Finders Keepers
I have often seen that Roman dutch law and karma do not tally. Eg. Death for a killer is the RD law punishment.
3 months imprisonment for a theft. Yet will such a punishment wave off karma.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:23 pm

Punishment by the law, whatever religion it is based on, does not wave off the result of kamma.

Whether one gets caught, tried, and convicted or acquitted, the result of kamma will run its course.

Getting caught and convicted might encourage genuine contrition, and a change of heart, leading to the establishment of right-view, and hence to the cultivation of positive kamma that can mitigate the effects of unwholesome kamma. On the other hand, it might have the opposite effect, making the criminal bitter and vowing revenge on the victims who reported the crime, thus magnifying the unwholesome effects of the original kamma that led to the committing of the crime.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)