Benefits of developing the perceptions of Anicca, Dukkha & Anatta

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Srilankaputra

Benefits of developing the perceptions of Anicca, Dukkha & Anatta

Post by Srilankaputra » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:44 am

Thought i'd share these three wonderful suttas.

“Mendicants, seeing six benefits is quite enough to establish the perception of impermanence in all conditions without qualification.
What six?
(“Cha, bhikkhave, ānisaṃse sampassamānena alameva bhikkhunā sabbasaṅkhāresu anodhiṃ karitvā aniccasaññaṃ upaṭṭhāpetuṃ.)

‘All conditions will appear to me as transient.’ ‘My mind will not delight anywhere in the world.’ ‘My mind will rise above the whole world.’ ‘My mind will incline to extinguishment.’ ‘My fetters will be given up.’ ‘I will achieve the ultimate goal of the ascetic life.’
(‘Sabbasaṅkhārā ca me anavatthitā khāyissanti, sabbaloke ca me mano nābhiramissati, sabbalokā ca me mano vuṭṭhahissati, nibbānapoṇañca me mānasaṃ bhavissati, saṃyojanā ca me pahānaṃ gacchissanti, paramena ca sāmaññena samannāgato bhavissāmī’ti.)

Seeing these six benefits is quite enough to establish the perception of impermanence in all conditions without qualification.”
https://suttacentral.net/an6.102/en/sujato

“Mendicants, seeing six benefits is quite enough to establish the perception of suffering in all conditions without qualification.
(“Cha, bhikkhave, ānisaṃse sampassamānena alameva bhikkhunā sabbasaṅkhāresu anodhiṃ karitvā dukkhasaññaṃ upaṭṭhāpetuṃ.)

What six?

Perception of disillusionment will be established in me for all conditions, like a killer with a drawn sword.’
(‘Sabbasaṅkhāresu ca me nibbidasaññā paccupaṭṭhitā bhavissati, seyyathāpi ukkhittāsike vadhake.)

‘My mind will rise above the whole world.’ ‘I will see extinguishment as peaceful.’ ‘My underlying tendencies will be uprooted.’ ‘I will fulfill my duty.’ ‘I will have served my Teacher with love.’
(Sabbalokā ca me mano vuṭṭhahissati, nibbāne ca santadassāvī bhavissāmi, anusayā ca me samugghātaṃ gacchissanti, kiccakārī ca bhavissāmi, satthā ca me pariciṇṇo bhavissati mettāvatāyā’ti.)

Seeing these six benefits is quite enough to establish the perception of suffering in all conditions without qualification.”
https://suttacentral.net/an6.103/en/sujato
“Mendicants, seeing six benefits is quite enough to establish the perception of not-self in all things without qualification.
(“Cha, bhikkhave, ānisaṃse sampassamānena alameva bhikkhunā sabbadhammesu anodhiṃ karitvā anattasaññaṃ upaṭṭhāpetuṃ.)

What six?

‘I will be without identification in the whole world.’ ‘My I-makings will stop.’ ‘My mine-makings will stop.’ ‘I will have unshared knowledge.’ ‘I will clearly see causes and the phenomena that arise from causes.’
(Sabbaloke ca atammayo bhavissāmi, ahaṅkārā ca me uparujjhissanti, mamaṅkārā ca me uparujjhissanti, asādhāraṇena ca ñāṇena samannāgato bhavissāmi, hetu ca me sudiṭṭho bhavissati, hetusamuppannā ca dhammā.)

Seeing these six benefits is quite enough to establish the perception of not-self in all things without qualification.”
https://suttacentral.net/an6.104/en/sujato
O seeing one,we for refuge go to thee!
O mighty sage do thou our teacher be!

Paccuppannañca yo dhammaṃ,
Tattha tattha vipassati

“Yato yato mano nivāraye,
Na dukkhameti naṃ tato tato;
Sa sabbato mano nivāraye,
Sa sabbato dukkhā pamuccatī”ti.

SarathW

Re: Benefits of developing the perceptions of Anicca, Dukkha & Anatta

Post by SarathW » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:59 am

‘All conditions will appear to me as transient.’ ‘My mind will not delight anywhere in the world.’ ‘My mind will rise above the whole world.’ ‘My mind will incline to extinguishment.’ ‘My fetters will be given up.’ ‘I will achieve the ultimate goal of the ascetic life.’
To me, all conditions appear to be a transient but my mind is still delight in certain things in the world.
:thinking:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:53 pm

SarathW wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:59 am
To me, all conditions appear to be a transient but my mind is still delight in certain things in the world.
I remember reading a sutta which said some thing to the effect of 'Avijja is not a trifling matter'.
I'm having a hard time finding it again.
O seeing one,we for refuge go to thee!
O mighty sage do thou our teacher be!

Paccuppannañca yo dhammaṃ,
Tattha tattha vipassati

“Yato yato mano nivāraye,
Na dukkhameti naṃ tato tato;
Sa sabbato mano nivāraye,
Sa sabbato dukkhā pamuccatī”ti.

justindesilva

Post by justindesilva » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:51 pm

Srilankaputra wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:53 pm
SarathW wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:59 am
I remember reading a sutta which said some thing to the effect of 'Avijja is not a trifling matter'.
I'm having a hard time finding it again.
Perhaps if one reads Avijja sutta , the reader can understand how concentration samadhi is achieved by folliwing arya ashtanga sila in a cause and effect manner
Here it is explained how pancendriya is overcome to overcome ignorance.
Here it is said He sees the intellect as something seperate.He sees intellect consciosness as something seperate.He sees intellect contact as something seperate. And what ever arises in dependence of intellectual contact - experienced as either as pleasure
as pain or as neither pleasure nor pain that too he sees something as seperate.
" This is how a monk knows , how a monk sees, so that ignorance is abandoned and clear knowing arises."
r