I need to identify a certain sutta and I can't remember which one it is

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
walrus

I need to identify a certain sutta and I can't remember which one it is

Post by walrus » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:03 am

Hi Folks,

I am writing a letter/article relating to Theravadan Buddhism. I would like to reference a certain sutta but I read it a very long time ago and I can't remember which one it was. It said that a man gave the Buddha (and the Sangha, I think) a meal but his intention was to pay for the Buddha's dharma teaching. The Buddha told Ananda to take the meal (at least the portion given to the Buddha) and pour it into a river. Ananda did so and reported back to the Buddha that the food caused the water to boil. The point (or implication), I think, was that one should not charge nor pay for Dharma teaching, a point which I am trying to make in my letter. (The sutta might have covered other topics as well.) But I don't remember which sutta that was. Does anyone know? Please let me know if you do.

Thanks in advance,

Vincent

Jerafreyr

Re: I need to identify a certain sutta and I can't remember which one it is

Post by Jerafreyr » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:22 am

This one?

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

"So Kasi Bharadvaja dumped the milk-rice in water with no living beings. And the milk-rice, when dropped in the water, hissed & sizzled, seethed & steamed. Just as an iron ball heated all day, when tossed in the water, hisses & sizzles, seethes & steams, in the same way the milk-rice, when dropped in the water, hissed & sizzled, seethed & steamed."

I can't recall a sutta where venerable Ananda discards the rice and a similar event occurs.

walrus

Re: I need to identify a certain sutta and I can't remember which one it is

Post by walrus » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:49 am

Hi Jerafreyr,

Thank you for your response. It was so long ago that I read that sutta that I don't remember it that clearly. It is possible that the one you sent, Kasi Bharadvaja Sutta: To the Plowing Bharadvaja, is, in fact, the one I remember reading a long time ago. My guess is that that is the case but I am really not certain. If so, that sutta unfortunately does not make the point I remembered it making (about it being wrong to pay for a dharma talk). Thanks again for providing the link to that sutta.

Vincent