What are your top 10 Suttas?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

What are your top 10 Suttas?

Post by SarathW » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:20 pm

My top ten Suttas are:
1. MN 1 Buddha advised not to objectified Nibbana
He directly knows extinguishment as extinguishment.
nibbānaṃ nibbānato abhijānāti;
But he doesn’t identify with extinguishment, he doesn’t identify regarding extinguishment, he doesn’t identify as extinguishment, he doesn’t identify that ‘extinguishment is mine’, he doesn’t take pleasure in extinguishment.
nibbānaṃ nibbānato abhiññāya nibbānaṃ na maññati, nibbānasmiṃ na maññati, nibbānato na maññati, nibbānaṃ meti na maññati, nibbānaṃ nābhinandati.
Why is that?
Taṃ kissa hetu?
Because he has understood that relishing is the root of suffering,
‘Nandī dukkhassa mūlan’ti

2. MN 60 Guaranteed - I like this Sutta because this gives some certainty to people like me who doubt everything.:grinning:
“Since you haven’t found a teacher you’re happy with, you should undertake and implement this guaranteed teaching.

3. MN 107 Gradual training. I like numbers and calculations.
"Among us accountants, who earn a living by accounting, we can see gradual progress"

4-5. As a young man, I was inspired by Mangala Sutta and Parabhava Sutta.
Perhaps I am who is now is a product of those Suttas.

6. SN 22.59 Anatta Lakkhana Sutta.
I was a Buddhist by birth but I started learning Buddhism only about six years ago. I was shocked to read Anatta teaching when I was reading Ven. Narada’s book. So I became a 24X7 Buddhist. Perhaps this should be my number 1.

7. DN 16 Maha-Parinibbana Sutta.
I like this sutta for various reasons. It gives us some description of how an Arahant passes away. Not to mention the dramatic presentation of the Buddha’s Parinibbana. I feel sad even though I should be happy about it. But the most intriguing thing is how Buddha’s knowledge of this world is created. I always thought that water is established upon the earth, atmosphere upon water and space upon the atmosphere. According to Buddha, it is another way around and it is quite the scientific knowledge today.

“This great earth, Ananda, is established upon liquid, the liquid upon the atmosphere, and the atmosphere upon space. And when, Ananda, mighty atmospheric disturbances take place, the liquid is agitated. And with the agitation of the liquid, tremors of the earth arise. This is the first reason, the first cause for the arising of mighty earthquakes.”

8. SN 22.101 Nava Sutta. I like this Sutta because it is funny and deliver a stronge message. Jhana and Nibbana is not something you have to wish for. When you follow the Path, you naturally experience Jhana and attain Nibbana.
"Suppose a hen has eight, ten, or twelve eggs that she covers rightly, warms rightly, & incubates rightly: Even though this wish may not occur to her — ‘O that my chicks might break through the egg shells with their spiked claws or beaks and hatch out safely!’ — still it is possible that the chicks will break through the egg shells with their spiked claws or beaks and hatch out safely. Why is that? Because the hen has covered them, warmed them, & incubated them rightly. In the same way, even though this wish may not occur to a monk who dwells devoting himself to development — ‘O that my mind might be released from effluents through lack of clinging!’ — still his mind is released from the effluents through lack of clinging. Why is that? From developing, it should be said. Developing what? The four frames of reference, the four right exertions, the four bases of power, the five faculties, the five strengths, the seven factors for Awakening, the noble eightfold path.
8)SN36.21 Not everything this individual experiences—pleasurable, painful, or neutral—is because of past deeds. Many Sri Lankans belive that every thing happens due to Kamma. So they do not make any effort to change the situation.

"Some feelings stem from phlegm disorders … wind disorders … their conjunction … change in weather … not taking care of yourself … overexertion … Some feelings are the result of past deeds. You can know this from your own personal experience, and it is generally agreed to be true. Since this is so, the ascetics and brahmins whose view is that everything an individual experiences is because of past deeds go beyond personal experience and beyond what is generally agreed to be true. So those ascetics and brahmins are wrong, I say.”
9) MN22 The simile of the snake.
This Sutt has two great similes. The simile of the snake (wrong grasping of Dhamma) and the simile of the raft. (Dhamma is for crossing over not for holding on)
10)Tipitaka
So. What is your top ten?
Last edited by SarathW on Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

SarathW

Re: What are your top 10 Suttas?

Post by SarathW » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:21 pm

Bhante Sujato post the following in SC.

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/to ... ll/12978/2
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:24 pm

“This great earth, Ananda, is established upon liquid,
liquid metal

budo

Post by budo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:35 pm

Notice MN 1 ends with
That is what the Blessed One said. Displeased, the monks did not delight in the Blessed One's words.
I wonder why that is... perhaps they didn't understand?

Mikenz66: Sorry, I edited rather than replied to your post! :computerproblem:
Here is Bhikkhu Bodhi's note.:
The bhikkhus did not delight in the Buddha’s words, apparently because the discourse probed too deeply into the tender regions of their own conceit, and perhaps their residual brahmanic views. At a later time, MA tells us, when their pride had been humbled, the Buddha expounded to these same bhikkhus the Gotamaka Sutta (AN 3:123/i.276), in the course of which they all attained arahantship.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:59 pm

See also, this previous topic:
viewtopic.php?t=4163

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:46 pm

The top 10 suttas below pertain to higher Dhamma:

1. MN 9 - clearly explains dependent origination (and the four noble truths), including the 'asava' within ignorance
2. SN 22.59 - 2nd sermon on three characteristics
3. MN 118 - describes the proper fruition of meditation & satipatthana
4. SN 35.85 - teaching of emptiness
5. SN 22.95 - teaching of worthlessness & insubtantialness of the five aggregates
6. MN 38 - explains dependent origination ceases while conscious & living (also SN 22.1, MN 140, SN 22.53, Iti 44 & MN 148)
7. MN 117 - distinguishes between the mundane & supramundane and also clearly explains "mindfulness"
8. SN 23.2 or SN 5.10 - explain what "a being" is; which is required to understand what "jati" ("birth") is
9. SN 22.79 - explains what "pubbenivāsānussati" is
10. MN 44 - explains many important things, such as "sakkaya" and the three "sankhara" in dependent origination

Note: Since the list is restricted to 10 suttas, I have omitted SN 56.11 (the 1st sermon) and replaced it with MN 9, which includes the four noble truths. Also, suttas with links highlight my recommended translation. Also, I sneaked in SN 22.1, MN 140, SN 22.53, Iti 44 & MN 148 because these are favourites with very clear teachings about "cessation".

:smile:

The top 10 suttas below pertain to morality & everyday life and can also assist removing hindrances to meditation:

1. DN 31 - detailed layperson's code of conduct
2. SN 55.7 - the golden rule
3. MN 61 - harmlessness of actions
4. MN 19 - harmlessness of thoughts
5. AN 4.62 - financial advice
6. AN 4.55 - qualities of suitable partner
7. SN 37.30 or AN 7.63 - qualities of a good wife/woman
8. AN 5.57- five subjects for contemplation; whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained
9. AN 3.61 - how the belief in "past kamma" unskillfully leads to inaction
10. Sn 2.4 - Maha-mangala Sutta: Blessings
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:47 am

Silavant Sutta: Virtuous
For it is possible that a virtuous monk, attending in an appropriate way to these five clinging-aggregates as inconstant... not-self, would realize the fruit of stream-entry.

sunnat

Post by sunnat » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:14 am

Uposattha Suttas (any, for the wording of the eight precepts.)
Maha Satipatthana Sutta
Anapanasati Sutta
Metta Suttas - any that awaken feelings of goodwill, loving-kindness.
- They contain the essentials of the path. Practical instructions. Sila, Samadhi, Panna and Metta. Do good, don't do bad and purify the mind.