If you met the Awakened One

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
User avatar
Ceisiwr
Posts: 7742
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am

If you met the Awakened One

Post by Ceisiwr »

If you met the Buddha and had the chance to ask only one question what would you ask?
“Bhikkhus, whatever is not yours, abandon it. When you have abandoned it, that will lead to your welfare and happiness. ” SN 35:101

SarathW
Posts: 14096
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: If you met the Awakened One

Post by SarathW »

Did you teach re-birth and Kamma? if so prove to me that you are right.
:D
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Srilankaputra
Posts: 981
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:56 am
Location: Sri Lanka

Re: If you met the Awakened One

Post by Srilankaputra »

SarathW wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:17 am
Did you teach re-birth and Kamma? if so prove to me that you are right.
:D
:rofl:

If you don't prove it to me I am going strait back home.
O seeing one,we for refuge go to thee!
O mighty sage do thou our teacher be!

Paccuppannañca yo dhammaṃ,
Tattha tattha vipassati

“Yato yato mano nivāraye,
Na dukkhameti naṃ tato tato;
Sa sabbato mano nivāraye,
Sa sabbato dukkhā pamuccatī”ti.

User avatar
Ceisiwr
Posts: 7742
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am

Re: If you met the Awakened One

Post by Ceisiwr »

SarathW wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:17 am
Did you teach re-birth and Kamma? if so prove to me that you are right.
:D
If he said take it on faith would you?
“Bhikkhus, whatever is not yours, abandon it. When you have abandoned it, that will lead to your welfare and happiness. ” SN 35:101

SarathW
Posts: 14096
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: If you met the Awakened One

Post by SarathW »

Saddhā wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:02 am
SarathW wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:17 am
Did you teach re-birth and Kamma? if so prove to me that you are right.
:D
If he said take it on faith would you?
Yes. I would.
Because it is coming straight from Buddha, not from hearsay.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

User avatar
JamesTheGiant
Posts: 1189
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:41 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: If you met the Awakened One

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I'd offer him some food. Sooo much merit!

Then after the meal I'd ask for a teaching, and he being able to see my mind and know the most suitable teaching, would given me the best lesson for my mind, and in no long time I'd attain to etc etc...

User avatar
mikenz66
Posts: 17740
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Re: If you met the Awakened One

Post by mikenz66 »

JamesTheGiant wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:14 am
Then after the meal I'd ask for a teaching, and he being able to see my mind and know the most suitable teaching, would given me the best lesson for my mind, and in no long time I'd attain to etc etc...
You are a real student, James.
:heart:
Mike

User avatar
Pseudobabble
Posts: 938
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:11 am
Location: London

Re: If you met the Awakened One

Post by Pseudobabble »

Saddhā wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:09 am
If you met the Buddha and had the chance to ask only one question what would you ask?
Like James, ask for advice.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta


'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha

Sol
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:27 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: If you met the Awakened One

Post by Sol »

- "How am I?"

The courtesy of asking how things are becomes a deep inquiry.

User avatar
JMGinPDX
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:07 pm

Re: If you met the Awakened One

Post by JMGinPDX »

I'm more of a Zen guy, so if I met the Buddha, I would kill the Buddha. :)

I know I know I know...that's not what the OP meant.
If I could travel back in time and actually come face to face with him, and could speak his language (or more likely he could see my mind well enough to "speak" mine)...I'd probably not ask him anything. Words are not enough. I'd just appreciate being in his presence and soaking it in.
Right now, it's like this...

budo
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 am

Re: If you met the Awakened One

Post by budo »

JMGinPDX wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:48 pm
I'm more of a Zen guy, so if I met the Buddha, I would kill the Buddha. :)
And instantly die and be reborn in the lowest level of hell for a long long long time.

User avatar
JMGinPDX
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:07 pm

Re: If you met the Awakened One

Post by JMGinPDX »

budo wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:57 pm
JMGinPDX wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:48 pm
I'm more of a Zen guy, so if I met the Buddha, I would kill the Buddha. :)
And instantly die and be reborn in the lowest level of hell for a long long long time.
Well, sure, if I literally executed the actual living Sakyamuni Buddha physically standing right before me.
But as I indicated in my followup, I was joking.

And that's not what the Zen parable is about, either - if I "see" the Buddha, then I've immediately turned the Buddha into a THING, into an object of attachment, and that's going to hinder my true progress, so I must "kill" my conceptualization of the Buddha in order to get to the truth. That sorta thing.

But now that I had to explain the joke, it's not funny anymore, assuming it was slightly humorous to begin with.............
Right now, it's like this...

budo
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 am

Re: If you met the Awakened One

Post by budo »

JMGinPDX wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:06 pm
budo wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:57 pm
JMGinPDX wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:48 pm
I'm more of a Zen guy, so if I met the Buddha, I would kill the Buddha. :)
And instantly die and be reborn in the lowest level of hell for a long long long time.
Well, sure, if I literally executed the actual living Sakyamuni Buddha physically standing right before me.
But as I indicated in my followup, I was joking.

And that's not what the Zen parable is about, either - if I "see" the Buddha, then I've immediately turned the Buddha into a THING, into an object of attachment, and that's going to hinder my true progress, so I must "kill" my conceptualization of the Buddha in order to get to the truth. That sorta thing.

But now that I had to explain the joke, it's not funny anymore, assuming it was slightly humorous to begin with.............
Yes I understood what you meant, but you didn't understand my insinuation: that we're on a Theravada forum.

User avatar
cappuccino
Posts: 4468
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:45 am

Re: If you met the Awakened One

Post by cappuccino »

budo wrote:
JMGinPDX wrote: I'm more of a Zen guy, so if I met the Buddha, I would kill the Buddha. :)
And instantly die and be reborn in the lowest level of hell for a long long long time.
Buddha's don't have the karma to be killed
Last edited by cappuccino on Fri May 17, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bodom
Posts: 6494
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: If you met the Awakened One

Post by bodom »

What practicing Buddhist tradition today got it right..or the closest. :tongue:

:anjali:
With no struggling, no thinking,
the mind, still,
will see cause and effect
vanishing in the Void.
Attached to nothing, letting go:
Know that this is the way
to allay all stress.

- Upasaka Keep Nanayon

Post Reply