Is selling images of Buddha wrong?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
ChooChoo

Is selling images of Buddha wrong?

Post by ChooChoo »

I was just looking for something online and saw some cool Buddhist art and home decorations. I was wondering how selling images of the Buddha was viewed by Buddhist?
form

Re: Is selling images of Buddha wrong?

Post by form »

Will I be arrested in Burma if I wear true religion jeans that has a logo of the Buddha playing guitar?
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I remember something about... if it causes faith to arise, or positive things to increase, it's good. I can't remember which sutta or anything.
But I do admit it's strange seeing garden stores selling Buddha heads as potplant holders. What other religion would tolerate that eh! Imagine the murders and riots if certain other faiths had their icon used like that.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

It doesn’t bother me. I have a crucifix on my wall that I bought in St Peters, Rome, not because I’m a Christian but because I find it aesthetically pleasing.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

In Sri Lanka, there is a public awareness campaign to warn citizens that images of the Buddha are not for decoration or artwork. I am guessing it is probably to discourage Buddha flowerpots and the like. Is it wrong to use these? I guess it depends on the intention. If you follow the Buddha's path of liberation, I would think you probably wouldn't want to use kitchy images of him, but others may feel differently. :anjali: