The Five Precepts

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
one_awakening

The Five Precepts

Post by one_awakening » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:53 am

Are The Five Precepts the Buddhist Ten Commandments?
“You only lose what you cling to”

Sam Vara

Re: The Five Precepts

Post by Sam Vara » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:44 am

They are obviously very different in terms of content and style, and Western Buddhists in particular are often keen to put as much distance between themselves and Judeo-Christianity as possible. But there is a similarity in terms of function, in that both the decalogue and the precepts are simple memorable lists which can be used to guide behaviour for their respective followers. Despite the obvious differences, they occupy a vaguely similar place within the "ethics branch" of their respective systems.

Did you have a particular similarity in mind?

Alīno

Post by Alīno » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:48 am

Recommendations. You are free to do what you want, but if you dont want to suffer and make suffer others you best to follow these 5-8 etc precepts. They will allow you to develop deep calm of body and mind. And this calm will allow you to descover wisdom. Wisdom will allow you to uproot causes of suffering.
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:56 am

[Ten Commandments/quote]

They are not commandments.
You undertake to follow the precepts in your own will.
Precepts were there even before Buddhas time.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:26 am

According to my understanding, things in Buddhism can be understood "in relation" rather than "in absolute terms". This is why, a Buddhist might think of the precepts in absolute terms for practical reasons knowing that they are not.

Thinking of things "in relation" is inline with the way conditioned phenomena functions, and would result in the Buddhist being moral and at the same time non-dogmatic. Unlike the commandments, which is thought of in absolute terms (as their sources is claimed to be an absolute being) overlooking their relative nature which would potentially lead to misuse and more suffering.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:54 am

i wonder why people insist that you are able to break the precepts
of course you are, but it's never a good idea. it's never skillful and its result is unhappiness

if you fear pain, if you dislike pain, never do an evil deed in open or in secret
16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta

links:
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm
http://thaiforestwisdom.org/canonical-texts/
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-conte ... _Heart.pdf
https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:05 am

one_awakening wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:53 am
Are The Five Precepts the Buddhist Ten Commandments?
The Ten Commandments appear to be the appropriating Natural Law & attributing them to an exclusive tribal god.

Where as the Five Precepts appear to be mere Natural Law ('Dhamma Niyama'), as follows:
And what is the explanation of the Dhamma that’s relevant to oneself?

It’s when a noble disciple reflects: ‘I want to live and don’t want to die; I want to be happy and recoil from pain. Since this is so, if someone were to take my life, I wouldn’t like that. But others also want to live and don’t want to die; they want to be happy and recoil from pain. So if I were to take the life of someone else, they wouldn’t like that either. The thing that is disliked by me is also disliked by others. Since I dislike this thing, how can I inflict it on someone else?’ Reflecting in this way, they give up killing living creatures themselves. And they encourage others to give up killing living creatures, praising the giving up of killing living creatures. So their bodily behavior is purified in three points.

Furthermore, a noble disciple reflects: ‘If someone were to steal from me, I wouldn’t like that. But if I were to steal from someone else, they wouldn’t like that either. The thing that is disliked by me is also disliked by others. Since I dislike this thing, how can I inflict it on someone else?’ Reflecting in this way, they give up stealing themselves. And they encourage others to give up stealing, praising the giving up of stealing. So their bodily behavior is purified in three points.

Furthermore, a noble disciple reflects: ‘If someone were to have sexual relations with my wives, I wouldn’t like it. But if I were to have sexual relations with someone else’s wives, he wouldn’t like that either. The thing that is disliked by me is also disliked by others.Since I dislike this thing, how can I inflict it on others?’ Reflecting in this way, they give up sexual misconduct themselves. And they encourage others to give up sexual misconduct, praising the giving up of sexual misconduct. So their bodily behavior is purified in three points.

Furthermore, a noble disciple reflects: ‘If someone were to distort my meaning by lying, I wouldn’t like it. But if I were to distort someone else’s meaning by lying, they wouldn’t like it either. The thing that is disliked by me is also disliked by someone else. Since I dislike this thing, how can I inflict it on others?’ Reflecting in this way, they give up lying themselves. And they encourage others to give up lying, praising the giving up of lying. So their verbal behavior is purified in three points.

https://suttacentral.net/sn55.7/en/sujato
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati