Wat Dhammakaya

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Post Reply
User avatar
Kumara
Posts: 673
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Wat Dhammakaya

Post by Kumara » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:04 am

ancientbuddhism wrote:New Buddhist Movements In Thailand: Towards an Understanding of Wat Phra Dhammakāya and Santi Asoke, by Rory Mackenzie
That's interesting. A related term "New Religious Movement" is now very much preferred by Scientology as an alternative word for "cult".

A much shorter work on the subject by Rory Mackenzie is found here: http://www.buddhismaustralia.org/Black% ... makaya.htm It provides a (scary) idea of the Dhammakaya movement.
I'm not just a monk. I'm a human being. — Sayadaw U Jotika

User avatar
suriyopama
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:44 am
Location: Thailand

Re: Wat Dhammakaya

Post by suriyopama » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:53 am

The large investigation about Dhammakaya and other corrupt monks on 2bkk.com has been ordered to be deleted by the authorities. :weep:

http://2bangkok.com/forum/showthread.ph ... tion/page5

Dhammakaya is extremely powerful. Very well positioned inside some factions of the Thai government, the police, the army, businessmen, and supported by very powerful people like the exiled PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

Image

User avatar
Sokehi
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:27 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Wat Dhammakaya

Post by Sokehi » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:28 am

this is dangerous and certainly not for the well being of many
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr

User avatar
Kumara
Posts: 673
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Wat Dhammakaya

Post by Kumara » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:36 am

Kumara wrote:Essentially, its becoming the Thai/Buddhist equivalent of Scientology.
Correction: A closer equivalent is Unification Church or Unificationism, a new religious movement founded in South Korea by Sun Myung Moon. (It's also known as The Holy Spirit Association for the Unification of World Christianity, also known as the Family Federation for World Peace and Unification.)

It's not so strong now, as many people have left and began to expose it, notably Steven Hassan who became a counselor specialized in cults. If you like to help someone who's in a cult, consider getting his book: Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs (Published 2012) http://freedomofmind.com/Media/bookFreedom.php
I'm not just a monk. I'm a human being. — Sayadaw U Jotika

helparcfun
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:11 am

Re: Wat Dhammakaya

Post by helparcfun » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:57 pm

Kumara wrote: If you like to help someone who's in a cult, consider getting his book: Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs (Published 2012) http://freedomofmind.com/Media/bookFreedom.php
Problem for me is that it is most likely only available in the English language. I would need one in Thai language!

User avatar
Kumara
Posts: 673
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Wat Dhammakaya

Post by Kumara » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:23 am

helparcfun wrote:
Kumara wrote: If you like to help someone who's in a cult, consider getting his book: Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs (Published 2012) http://freedomofmind.com/Media/bookFreedom.php
Problem for me is that it is most likely only available in the English language. I would need one in Thai language!
It's not for your wife to read. It's for you.
I'm not just a monk. I'm a human being. — Sayadaw U Jotika

User avatar
suriyopama
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:44 am
Location: Thailand

Re: Wat Dhammakaya

Post by suriyopama » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:35 am

The Thai Ministry of Education is forcing teachers to be brainwashed with Dhammakaya through coercive measures, not giving teaching licenses to the ones that do not have the :alien: certificate

http://www.manager.co.th/Daily/ViewNews ... 0000118533
It´s in Thai, but you can use Google Translate to get a rough idea

User avatar
Kumara
Posts: 673
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Wat Dhammakaya

Post by Kumara » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:41 am

suriyopama wrote:The Thai Ministry of Education is forcing teachers to be brainwashed with Dhammakaya through coercive measures, not giving teaching licenses to the ones that do not have the :alien: certificate

http://www.manager.co.th/Daily/ViewNews ... 0000118533
It´s in Thai, but you can use Google Translate to get a rough idea
Hmm... This may be what it takes to prompt the respected forest monks and scholar monks and nuns to make their voices better heard. INEB would surely join in to form a strong united stand against Dhammakaya. (I'm told WBF is already pretty much a Dhammakaya arm.) This may just be the tipping point.
I'm not just a monk. I'm a human being. — Sayadaw U Jotika

User avatar
appicchato
Posts: 1603
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:47 am
Location: Bridge on the River Kwae

Re: Wat Dhammakaya

Post by appicchato » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:06 am

...use Google Translate to get a rough idea
Unfortunately, at this point in time, using Google Translate (as well as Bing, and the rest) with English and Thai is utterly hopeless...

User avatar
Kumara
Posts: 673
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Wat Dhammakaya

Post by Kumara » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:37 am

Here's an old but still relevant piece on the subject:
Phra Dhammakaya Temple Controversy
Keeping the Faith

Bangkok Post/December 21, 1998

The Dhammakaya movement has been attacked for its unconventional religious teachings, use of mysticism, aggressive fundraising and the cult of personality of its leader. Nevertheless, it continues to woo middle-class, urban Thais, and some might argue those in mainstream religion might learn a trick to two from the movement.

Sanitsuda Ekachai

Its 30,000-million-baht religious monument looks like a spaceship. Its leader's urgent appeal for donations to complete the monument in order to save the world sounds like a doomsday cult's message. And scholars have attacked its teachings as a distortion and commercialisation of Buddhism. Nevertheless, the Dhammakaya movement has been hugely successful and well-supported by educated professionals.
Complete article: http://www.culteducation.com/reference/ ... al644.html
I'm not just a monk. I'm a human being. — Sayadaw U Jotika

helparcfun
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:11 am

Re: Wat Dhammakaya

Post by helparcfun » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:44 pm

I must say that I am getting more and more worried about my wife's involvement with this group. Today she went off to the Temple in Woking and just as we said goodbye she said today is a "big merit day" at the temple and as she said this she looked in the direction of my wallet on the table!! It does very much seem like the only way to gain merit (if that's the right way of putting it) is to donate more money. My understanding of gaining merit was through general good deeds.

I was at the temple last year with my wife for Kathina day where they had the usual ceremony which was all fine until one of their disciples began telling everyone through the temple sound system that everyone should donate more money and that the more money they donate the better their lives would be!!

I sometimes feel that this lot should be investigated by the UK government for the way they try to force their followers to give money. But they do it in quite subtle ways which may make it difficult to prove they're doing anything wrong - if their followers are donating freely then it may be decided that there's nothing untoward going on. It's the way they brainwash their followers into believing all their nonsense that worries me.

Having said all this I must say I am still quite taken with Buddhism generally, especially with their meditation techniques. For me, I am happy doing the mindfulness of breathing or the loving kindness meditation. All the other stuff that comes with it is really not important to me.

Perhaps someone on this forum can explain one aspect of Buddhism which I have been struggling to understand. My understanding of these matters may not be correct so please anyone correct me if I am in error; one of Buddha's teaching is that we should try to eradicate such things as desires or wants because these lead to suffering. My problem with this relates to my wife (and others who attend the DMC temples). She and the others seem to have very strong desires, or wants, to visit the temple and to meditate as often as they can. To my way of thinking this desire is contrary to Buddha's teaching and I wonder whether or not, if the Buddha were around today would he be happy at the way in which DMC seem to promote their brand of Buddhism pretty much like a company may promote its products. My wife (and I'm sure others from the temple do too) sometimes gets to the point where she feels bad if she hasn't found time for her daily meditation - surely this can't be healthy? To my way of thinking meditation should become a natural part of an individual's daily activities. There may be days when events don't allow time for this and if so, well, so be it! Surely an individual should not 'beat them self up" if they haven't managed to meditate everyday? Sometimes I really worry that all this DMC nonsense is going to have a detrimental effect on her over time.

Kind regards all.
Paul.

nibbuti
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Wat Dhammakaya

Post by nibbuti » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:00 am

helparcfun wrote:Today she went off to the Temple in Woking and just as we said goodbye she said today is a "big merit day" at the temple and as she said this she looked in the direction of my wallet on the table!!
:jumping:
helparcfun wrote:My understanding of gaining merit was through general good deeds.
:bow:

For example, by giving the four requisites: food, clothes, shelter, medicine.

I know someone who almost ruined his family by addiction to giving all his €€ (to local church and relatives).

Perhaps, suggest to your wife the idea of 'idiot compassion' by giving $$ to people who are not really in need, fostering greed & corruption, rather than 'doing good'.

Good luck, friend.

User avatar
Kumara
Posts: 673
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Wat Dhammakaya

Post by Kumara » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:04 am

helparcfun wrote:I must say that I am getting more and more worried about my wife's involvement with this group....
Dear Paul,

So, you think you need to do something about it now? She can't help herself, you know? Her belief system has co-opted by exploiting her mental defilements (esp. delusion and desire).

While we use the words "brainwashing", it's technically not the right term in this case. I also doubt if it can apply legally. However, "undue influence" is a legal term, and it's applicable in cultism. You may want to look it up.

What is called "meditation" in Dhammakaya is actually hypnotic trance. In this state, the faculty of discernment is weak, or (perhaps we can say) suspended. So, one becomes highly suggestible. That's why Dhammakaya followers are encouraged to watch DMC as much as they can—supposedly to make more merits!

FYI, in the spectrum of merits according Velama Sutta (AN 9:20), giving is the lowest. In any case, giving is still meritorious. What's more important though is why we give. There's a big difference between giving out of desire and delusion, and giving out of generosity and discernment.

Paul, your wife needs help. Now that you've suggested that you're in UK, I suggest you go to www.cultinformation.org.uk . They may be able to help you better. The book I suggested should help you too. Steve Hassan also has free informative videos at his site, like this one: http://freedomofmind.com/Media/video.php?id=49

You may be reluctant, but the miracle you need is you.
I'm not just a monk. I'm a human being. — Sayadaw U Jotika

dagon
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:45 am

Re: Wat Dhammakaya

Post by dagon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:46 pm

Kumara wrote:
suriyopama wrote:The Thai Ministry of Education is forcing teachers to be brainwashed with Dhammakaya through coercive measures, not giving teaching licenses to the ones that do not have the :alien: certificate

http://www.manager.co.th/Daily/ViewNews ... 0000118533
It´s in Thai, but you can use Google Translate to get a rough idea
Hmm... This may be what it takes to prompt the respected forest monks and scholar monks and nuns to make their voices better heard. INEB would surely join in to form a strong united stand against Dhammakaya. (I'm told WBF is already pretty much a Dhammakaya arm.) This may just be the tipping point.
This may interest you - its in Thai but i can make sense of it with Google. My Thai defacto sent me the link when i asked her about Dhammakaya. I am afraid what she had to say is not repeatable of this forum but was a less kind version of what you have been saying. :shock:

metta

dagon

User avatar
Kumara
Posts: 673
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Wat Dhammakaya

Post by Kumara » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:00 am

dagon wrote:This may interest you - its in Thai but i can make sense of it with Google. My Thai defacto sent me the link when i asked her about Dhammakaya. I am afraid what she had to say is not repeatable of this forum but was a less kind version of what you have been saying. :shock:
Don't see no link there.
I'm not just a monk. I'm a human being. — Sayadaw U Jotika

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: budo, Dinsdale, Google [Bot], Johnnymac, rightviewftw and 97 guests