What was your logic to have faith in the Dhamma?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
thang

What was your logic to have faith in the Dhamma?

Post by thang » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:42 pm

This was my approach when I was a child.

Different people had different opinions about the path and truths.
Then I assigned probabilities for the trustworthiness of opinions.

Self opinion - 40%
Parents- 60%
School teacher- 30%
Many other people- 1%
Religion X and Y- 2%
Hindu Rishis - 80%
Buddhism - 99.99%-100%

When the skeptical mind arises it still gives 99.99% probability to Buddhism.

When the mind was in doubt about the Dhamma, I thought about the other options available.

I couldn't find any other option which had a higher probability than 99.99%.

Then I decided to have faith in Buddhism and followed it for some time.

When I had 100% faith there was no problem, but when I had 99.99% there was a difficulty to faithfully follow some Dhammas.

Then I realized that as long as there is at least a little doubt, any task could not be done properly.

But the unchangeable faith can only be achieved after the stream entry.

Then I thought how a Puthujjana could practice without having an unchangeable faith 100% all times.

When I stayed doing nothing with the 99.99% faith state, I understood that the idleness was/is a self-opinion which has the probability of 40%. There was/is not any other option even.

So I decided I must believe it 100% in the both 99.99% and 100% states of mind, because in both cases I have no other option.

Therefore there was no other option for me, other than believing Dhamma 100% in both mind modes.

[This doesn't hints about a successful Dhamma practice.
This is just about an ordinary faith-mode-switching.]

So my logic was
NO OPTION OTHER THAN BELIEVING IN DHAMMA,
in both skeptical and faithful mind-modes.

What about yours ?
Last edited by thang on Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bhikkhus, whatever the Tathāgata speaks, _ all that is just so and NOT otherwise."

SarathW

Re: What was your logic to have faith in the Dhamma?

Post by SarathW » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:01 pm

I can recall I asked a similar question before.
My question was why Sotapanna still enjoy sensual pleasures even if he was fully eliminated doubt.
ie: He has the full faith on Buddha.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17821&p=289029&hilit=
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25676&p=369198&hilit=
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:08 am

Greetings,

For me it was the verifiability (both in terms of logic, and personal experience) of the Four Noble Truths.

I think I would always have been interested in the Dhamma, had I known of it... in fact, it was only due to the false assumption that all religions require you to believe in a godhead, that I had not investigated Buddhism prior.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:09 am

For me it was just that I felt better when I was meditating and around monks and other dhamma people.
The faith just gradually grew.

Until I had a most amazing experience where my sense of self was extinguished temporarily, and suddenly there was no more doubt about the Buddha's teachings. Then there was no more guessing, it became experiential knowledge.
Most amazing thing that ever happened to "me".

Laurens

Post by Laurens » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:51 am

To put it simply: it works.
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:08 am

dhamma is beyond logic
16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta

links:
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm
http://thaiforestwisdom.org/canonical-texts/
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-conte ... _Heart.pdf
https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html

thang

Post by thang » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:48 pm

salayatananirodha wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:08 am
dhamma is beyond logic
Was that your logic to have faith ?
"Bhikkhus, whatever the Tathāgata speaks, _ all that is just so and NOT otherwise."

budo

Post by budo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:15 pm

"Now, Kalamas, one who is a disciple of the noble ones — his mind thus free from hostility, free from ill will, undefiled, & pure — acquires four assurances in the here-&-now:

"'If there is a world after death, if there is the fruit of actions rightly & wrongly done, then this is the basis by which, with the break-up of the body, after death, I will reappear in a good destination, the heavenly world.' This is the first assurance he acquires.

"'But if there is no world after death, if there is no fruit of actions rightly & wrongly done, then here in the present life I look after myself with ease — free from hostility, free from ill will, free from trouble.' This is the second assurance he acquires.

"'If evil is done through acting, still I have willed no evil for anyone. Having done no evil action, from where will suffering touch me?' This is the third assurance he acquires.

"'But if no evil is done through acting, then I can assume myself pure in both respects.' This is the fourth assurance he acquires.

thang

Post by thang » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:33 pm

budo wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:15 pm
"'But if there is no world after death, if there is no fruit of actions rightly & wrongly done, then here in the present life I look after myself with ease — free from hostility, free from ill will, free from trouble.' This is the second assurance he acquires.
"'But if no evil is done through acting, then I can assume myself pure in both respects.' This is the fourth assurance he acquires.
Gratitude.
Although we have read it earlier, It is necessary to remind it again and again.