Why would head explodes into 7 pieces ?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
sentinel

Why would head explodes into 7 pieces ?

Post by sentinel »

Is it possible for a person head to explode if attack on monks ?
And why not explodes into 5 pieces or 9 pieces ?

Then the Buddha said to Venerable Sāriputta: “Sāriputta, forgive that silly man before his head explodes into seven pieces right here.” “I will pardon that venerable if he asks me: ‘May the venerable please pardon me too.’”

https://suttacentral.net/an9.11/en/sujato
You always gain by giving
samsarictravelling

Re: Why would head explodes into 7 pieces ?

Post by samsarictravelling »

James Tan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:44 am Is it possible for a person head to explode if attack on monks ?
And why not explodes into 5 pieces or 9 pieces ?

Then the Buddha said to Venerable Sāriputta: “Sāriputta, forgive that silly man before his head explodes into seven pieces right here.” “I will pardon that venerable if he asks me: ‘May the venerable please pardon me too.’”

https://suttacentral.net/an9.11/en/sujato
This is what I think -- I could be wrong, though:

When in the suttas they say there was 500 monks or 500 carts or something with a number like 500 (or some other number like that), it is a generalization, and does not mean as-a-matter-of-fact exactly 500 of something. I don't think I thought this up, but I may have read it somewhere years ago.

I do not know if it always says explodes in 7 pieces everywhere in the suttas, because I do not remember such a thing specifically, but it could be a generalization? I don't know.

samsarictravelling
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

figure of speech
noun
a word or phrase used in a non-literal sense for rhetorical or vivid effect.
Last edited by cappuccino on Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Perhaps skull is already split that way.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

samsarictravelling wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:53 am
This is what I think -- I could be wrong, though:

When in the suttas they say there was 500 monks or 500 carts or something with a number like 500 (or some other number like that), it is a generalization, and does not mean as-a-matter-of-fact exactly 500 of something. I don't think I thought this up, but I may have read it somewhere years ago.

I do not know if it always says explodes in 7 pieces everywhere in the suttas, because I do not remember such a thing specifically, but it could be a generalization? I don't know.

samsarictravelling
So , Not Really Exploding ? But something bad going to happen right ?
You always gain by giving
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Laurens

Post by Laurens »

I don't have time currently to read the whole sutta as I have to do my morning meditation and get ready for work, however in the context of the quoted segment it sounds like a joke/figure of speech.

Such as one might say "Get him/her a drink before they die of thirst"
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
thang

Post by thang »

Q2Q:
Why would there are only 62 views ?
Brahmajala Sutta
“Whatever recluses or brahmins, bhikkhus, are speculators about the past or speculators about the future or speculators about the past and the future together, hold settled views about the past and the future, and assert various conceptual theorems referring to the past and the future, all of them do so on these sixty-two grounds or on a certain one of them. Outside of these there is none.

“This, bhikkhus, the Tathāgata understands. And he understands: ‘These standpoints, thus assumed and thus misapprehended, lead to such a future destination, to such a state in the world beyond.’ He understands as well what transcends this, yet even that understanding he does not misapprehend. And because he is free from misapprehension, he has realized within himself the state of perfect peace. Having understood as they really are the origin and the passing away of feelings, their satisfaction, their unsatisfactoriness, and the escape from them, the Tathāgata, bhikkhus, is emancipated through non-clinging.

“These are those dhammas, bhikkhus, that are deep, difficult to see, difficult to understand, peaceful and sublime, beyond the sphere of reasoning, subtle, comprehensible only to the wise, which the Tathāgata, having realized for himself with direct knowledge, propounds to others; and it is concerning these that those who would rightly praise the Tathāgata in accordance with reality would speak.
"Bhikkhus, whatever the Tathāgata speaks, _ all that is just so and NOT otherwise."
samsarictravelling

Post by samsarictravelling »

thang wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:19 am Q2Q:
Why would there are only 62 views ?
Brahmajala Sutta
“Whatever recluses or brahmins, bhikkhus, are speculators about the past or speculators about the future or speculators about the past and the future together, hold settled views about the past and the future, and assert various conceptual theorems referring to the past and the future, all of them do so on these sixty-two grounds or on a certain one of them. Outside of these there is none.

“This, bhikkhus, the Tathāgata understands. And he understands: ‘These standpoints, thus assumed and thus misapprehended, lead to such a future destination, to such a state in the world beyond.’ He understands as well what transcends this, yet even that understanding he does not misapprehend. And because he is free from misapprehension, he has realized within himself the state of perfect peace. Having understood as they really are the origin and the passing away of feelings, their satisfaction, their unsatisfactoriness, and the escape from them, the Tathāgata, bhikkhus, is emancipated through non-clinging.

“These are those dhammas, bhikkhus, that are deep, difficult to see, difficult to understand, peaceful and sublime, beyond the sphere of reasoning, subtle, comprehensible only to the wise, which the Tathāgata, having realized for himself with direct knowledge, propounds to others; and it is concerning these that those who would rightly praise the Tathāgata in accordance with reality would speak.
In my opinion:

For cases like 500 monks or 500 carts, this is a close estimate of the probable amount of in the group, OR MAYBE it means 'many'/'a great amount' (which I maybe read someone say many years ago) -- but still is a close estimate of the amount in the group? I think because the sermons were passed on orally in the beginning, it would be hard for monks to remember the exact amount of, for examples, monks or cart.

As for 62 views, that would be an exact amount, because that is an important thing.

Therefore, depending on the subject, it would be a close estimate of the amount in some situations (for example: 500 carts or 500 monks), and an exact amount in other situations, because it is an exact doctrinal teaching (for example: 62 views).

samsarictravelling