Is it possible a person mortifies others but not mortify themselves and vice versa?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Is it possible a person mortifies others but not mortify themselves and vice versa?

Post by SarathW »

The following is a pretty incredible and amaizing teaching.
================================
“That’s so true, Pessa! That’s so true! For human beings are shady, while the animal is obvious. Pessa, these four people are found in the world. What four?

One person mortifies themselves, committed to the practice of mortifying themselves.
One person mortifies others, committed to the practice of mortifying others.
One person mortifies themselves and others, committed to the practice of mortifying themselves and others.
One person doesn’t mortify either themselves or others, committed to the practice of not mortifying themselves or others. They live without wishes in the present life, extinguished, cooled, experiencing bliss, having become holy in themselves.

https://suttacentral.net/mn51/en/sujato
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
retrofuturist

Re: Is it possible a person mortifies others but not mortify themselves and vice versa?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sarath,

Make sure you're utilising the right "mortify"... it is the second that is intended here.

mortify

Dictionary result for mortify
/ˈmɔːtɪfʌɪ/

verb
cause (someone) to feel very embarrassed or ashamed.
"she was mortified to see her wrinkles in the mirror"
synonyms: embarrass, humiliate, chagrin, shame, discomfit, abash, horrify, appal, crush
"I'd be mortified if my friends found out I was learning ballroom dancing"

subdue (the body or its needs and desires) by self-denial or discipline.
"return to heaven by mortifying the flesh"
synonyms: subdue, suppress, subjugate, control, restrain, get under control; discipline, chasten, punish, deny
"an ascetic who consistently chooses to mortify the flesh"

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Re: Is it possible a person mortifies others but not mortify themselves and vice versa?

Post by SarathW »

Make sure you're utilising the right "mortify"... it is the second that is intended here.
Agree. That is the second I intended.
So how can I change my question?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
chownah

Post by chownah »

Using the second definition is it then that someone who mortifies others is into S&M?
chownah