Post by cappuccino »

there is a state without any suffering

it's (therefore) unnecessary to destroy your existence

thus why introduce other teachings
zan

Re: Buddhism and Samkhya

Post by zan »

form wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:41 pm Hi zan,
Let me put out the exact sutta ref. later in the day to further our discussion.

I personally find the two schools having many similarities. Interestingly, u pull out the word purusa which i think is pure consciousness, the one that is in union with nature. I hv specifically looked at and practice something similar to pantanjali's 8 limbs of yoga for many years, it seems very similar to 8fp other than the concept of atman and brahman. So either one accept the difference is just based on terminological mismatch or they are really not the same path. Other than that, taoist concept of reunion with nature seems similar. Some later buddhist's school seems to incorporate reunion with universe, buddha etc. On the other hand, once the theravada idea of there is no formation in nibanna, the question appears in is the atman brahman concept a formation?

Then another topic of debate is.... is there no thoughts? Theravadians that are meditators or dhammic inclined will give different answers.
Interesting points! I think some of it depends on who you ask. Some scholars believe that Samkhya is atheist, which sets it a little closer to Buddhism, and makes the question about atman brahman irrelevant, others that it is theist, which, of course, has the opposite effect.

I too have looked into Patanjali's work, very interesting stuff! A close friend of mine has taken on teaching his works and methods as a profession. I tried to do some of the physical exercises from later works by other yogis but am too inflexible, which brings me around to your mention of Taoism: I looked into it for the qigong, which is akin to yoga but easier on the joints! I noticed similarities between Taoism, Buddhism and Samkhya and Patanjali's work as well.

On a side note, have you ever read the Baghavad Gita? Wonderful book!
Assume all of my words on dhamma could be incorrect. Seek an arahant for truth.

"If we base ourselves on the Pali Nikayas, then we should be compelled to conclude that Buddhism is realistic. There is no explicit denial anywhere of the external world. Nor is there any positive evidence to show that the world is mind-made or simply a projection of subjective thoughts. That Buddhism recognizes the extra-mental existence of matter and the external world is clearly suggested by the texts. Throughout the discourses it is the language of realism that one encounters.
-Y. Karunadasa
zan

Post by zan »

cappuccino wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:48 pm there is a state without any suffering

it's (therefore) unnecessary to destroy your existence

thus why introduce other teachings
Firstly, I'm not introducing anything. This is old news and has already been discussed here. Many scholars have already studied this connection and if you do a quick web search of the terms you will see it discussed by many people. Secondly, this is a forum where people discuss things of a wide variety of natures and many find it interesting to learn about other traditions, in particular ones that some say have influenced their own. Third, I don't know a huge amount about it and was hoping someone who was more knowledgeable might come along and share.

"If we base ourselves on the Pali Nikayas, then we should be compelled to conclude that Buddhism is realistic. There is no explicit denial anywhere of the external world. Nor is there any positive evidence to show that the world is mind-made or simply a projection of subjective thoughts. That Buddhism recognizes the extra-mental existence of matter and the external world is clearly suggested by the texts. Throughout the discourses it is the language of realism that one encounters.
-Y. Karunadasa
form

Post by form »

This thread might be more suitable to be in connection to other paths?

During a conversation with a senior monk, he ever mentioned a common way of classification hindu system. One that followed vedas like gospel or one that reformed some parts of it. I am sure some scholars will place theravada buddhism under the latter group. But i think different people will have different views.

As long as a system has the components of the 8fp. It should be a progressive system. It is ok to make some minor mistakes, developed insight and progress from there.
zan

Post by zan »

form wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:56 am This thread might be more suitable to be in connection to other paths?
I think you may be right, if a moderator sees this, would you please move it if necessary/possible?

-Y. Karunadasa