The path of the Bodhisattva in Theravada Buddhism

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Dhammanando
Location: Ban Sri Pradu Cremation Ground, Phrao District, Chiangmai

Re: The path of the Bodhisattva in Theravada Buddhism

Post by Dhammanando » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:55 pm

Dharmasherab wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:48 am
But is there an inherent different between an Arahant and a Samma Sam Buddha in terms of quality and skill? Because I originally thought they did even back when I was a Theravada Buddhist.
In the commentarial treatment of the Sammāsamuddha, Paccekabuddha and Arahant, there are differences regarding the length of time that they have to develop the perfections, how many of the ten Tathāgata powers they can possess, how far back they can see their former lives, etc, etc. But the essential difference between the first and second is whether or not they start a dispensation, while that between both of these and the third is whether bodhi was attained by personal discovery or by being taught.

Will

Re: The path of the Bodhisattva in Theravada Buddhism

Post by Will » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:07 pm

Dhammanando wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:55 pm
Dharmasherab wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:48 am
But is there an inherent different between an Arahant and a Samma Sam Buddha in terms of quality and skill? Because I originally thought they did even back when I was a Theravada Buddhist.
In the commentarial treatment of the Sammāsamuddha, Paccekabuddha and Arahant, there are differences regarding the length of time that they have to develop the perfections, how many of the ten Tathāgata powers they can possess, how far back they can see their former lives, etc, etc. But the essential difference between the first and second is whether or not they start a dispensation, while that between both of these and the third is whether bodhi was attained by personal discovery or by being taught.
There may be other English " commentarial treatments", but the one I am now reading is Bhikkhu Bodhi's Sutta Nipata which has, around page 406ff information like the Venerable mentions.
Distrust everyone in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!
Nietzsche