Back to self!

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
No_Mind

Re: Back to self!

Post by No_Mind »

retrofuturist wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:58 am Greetings,
No_Mind wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:31 am How does one get past this paradox?
By regarding all dhammas as not-self, and forgetting about this ontological "no self" idea.

Metta,
Paul. :)
Which is part of the paradox.

"By regarding" - you are implying that someone is regarding who is being asked to not regard (the illusory self from dependent arising is being asked not to regard.) But any statement about the illusory self being asked not to regard brings out the illusory self!

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
No_Mind wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:16 am "By regarding" - you are implying that someone is regarding who is being asked to not regard (the illusory self from dependent arising is being asked not to regard.) But any statement about the illusory self being asked not to regard brings out the illusory self!
There is no such implication at all.

This compulsion of yours to introduce "self" into everything is entirely unnecessary.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

In my case, when i began acknowledging that i have self view and that my mind is creating a self that is trying to get rid of itself, my focus became more on using the self more skillfully. The mind (or self view) seem to be the social aspect in us and important for our survival in the world. Our survival in the world is necessary for practicing and understanding the Buddha's teaching, hence the practice has nothing to do with the denial of the self, but to understand it and learn how to use it skillfully.

In my opinion, tt should also be acknowledged that the notion of "not self" can be equally used in unskillful ways. I have a history of justifying my own stupidity using "not self". This is why, i try to take ownership of my wrong doings, but at the same time, contemplating the causes of suffering. If it happens that i do something good, i dedicated to the Buddha.

I don't see the teachings of not self as a demand, but rather as a description, a tool we can use to understand the four noble truths. I admit that it becomes a demand every now and then, but things take time, and i personally have appreciation for what i have been taught from other Buddhists both monastics and lay practitioners. Considering how rare are the odds of encountering the Buddha's teachings in my case, i feel quite lucky and no longer see my suffering as aimless if it can bring me one day to wisdom. If i become wise, i hope to give something back. This is one way to think about not self rather than trying to get rid of it. All in my opinion. :anjali:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

No_Mind wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:31 am

So it becomes a Catch-22 situation - unless I demand to understand that my notion of self is illusory (that is proceeding from being ignorant of the Dhamma to being aware of it) I will not understand it is an illusion, but the moment I make this demand I have given rise to a self based on dependent arising.

How does one get past this paradox?

Hi,

Whatever notions of self arise dependant on clinging to the five aggregates or any combination of them. Can you conceive of "I am" without any of the aggregates ?

Now, clinging is neither self made or made by another. It is dependently arisen. Clinging arises dependant on craving. So i don't think there is a paradox. To know experientially exactly what the blessed one is speaking about we need to eradicate craving. And way to do it is the the Noble eight fold path.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

No_Mind wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:16 am
retrofuturist wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:58 am Greetings,
By regarding all dhammas as not-self, and forgetting about this ontological "no self" idea.

Metta,
Which is part of the paradox.

"By regarding" - you are implying that someone is regarding who is being asked to not regard (the illusory self from dependent arising is being asked not to regard.) But any statement about the illusory self being asked not to regard brings out the illusory self!

The paradox can be solved:

"By regarding" does not necessarily imply 'someone is regarding', but due to limitation of language it can obviously create confusion.

Try replacing "by regarding all dhammas as not-self" with "let there be regarding of all dhammas as not-self". This is still not perfect because this may imply someone is letting something.

So, replace "by regarding all dhammas as not-self" with "when there is the state of regarding of all dhammas as not-self". You see, in the latter case no personal subject is necessary: when this is that is; when this is not that is not. No person is involved in this correlated arising (this-that). "The regarding of all dhammas as not-self" does not happen because of a personal effort (although initially it appears so). It happens due to its conditions - whatever these conditions may be.

Person" or "someone" is actually an arising itself (as an idea and feeling) which correlates with ignorance. When there is no ignorance (due to regarding all dhammas as not self), there arises the certainty or vision of no self in all dhammas. This vision just arises to nobody - no person is needed for the vision to be; in fact person was never needed even when there was illusion of a person. Things happen, but they just happen, they happen to no one. Illusion of personal self happens, but it happens to no one!
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

SamKR wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:02 am This vision just arises to nobody - no person is needed for the vision to be; in fact person was never needed even when there was illusion of a person. Things happen, but they just happen, they happen to no one. Illusion of personal self happens, but it happens to no one!
During my absence from the forum I have been contemplating this very statement - is a witness needed for a vision to arise?

From Buddhist POV it would seem the answer is negative.

But then we come back to a Zen koan - If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Circle5

Post by Circle5 »

No_Mind wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:16 am "By regarding" - you are implying that someone is regarding who is being asked to not regard (the illusory self from dependent arising is being asked not to regard.) But any statement about the illusory self being asked not to regard brings out the illusory self!

Then, my friend, let me ask you a counter-question: When a computer decides that a file is corrupted and should be removed - is there a self of the computer regarding the file in that way? Is there somebody asking the self of the computer to remove the file, and then the self of the computer removes it? :namaste:
auto

Post by auto »

Circle5 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:55 am
auto wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:09 pm if you think that quote is about having no-self as default, then you are wrong, because you have thoughts about self, right? then there is belonging to the self and where is belonging to the self then there is also a self.
If, at 22:47, the thought that "there is a self" or whatever other thought relating to the self arises - I only see a thought arising because of conditions there. A couple of minutes afterwards, when conditions change, that though will disappear. Even the memory of that though will eventually disappear. That though is not self. That thought is a conditionaly arisen, impermanent phenomenon that is not self.

Same as a computer might display a window with some message due to conditions, a thought might arise in a person at a certain time due to conditions. No self is required for this to happen.

More here (consciousness explained in drawings): viewtopic.php?t=28666
if i don't do anything, i come aware of boredom(dighamrattam). This is where i can come aware that i am aware. There is heaviness accompanied.
That overcomed completed, then sukhapiti arises.
the 'sense of self' come after that. you can't do anything about it, its when focusing on sense of self you can complete another requirement.
--
you seem to be an observer who observes thoughts/dhamma, you are not using body at all. That is the difference, regards to the body you have self as real and actually can develop dispassion.

thoughts are too fast(arise and pass away too fast) for untrained person to develop dispassion. Dispassion is requierment for vimutti, liberation of your mind.
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

No_Mind wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:31 am ...How does one get past this paradox?...
FWIW, Thanissaro Bhikkhu acknowledges a paradox. The word is in the title of one of his books, The Paradox of Becoming.
I have not yet gotten beyond the first chapter, so can't offer much, but here is a little from the Preface [italics added]:
The importance of becoming is evident from the role it plays in the four noble truths, particularly in the second: Suffering and stress are caused by any form of craving that leads to becoming. Thus the end of suffering must involve the end of becoming. The central paradox of becoming is also evident in the second noble truth, where one of the three forms of craving leading to becoming is craving for non-becoming—the ending of what has come to be. This poses a practical challenge for any attempt to put an end to becoming...[T]he Buddha himself taught a strategic resolution to this paradox, in which the fourth noble truth—the path to the end of suffering—involves creating a type of becoming where the mind is so steady and alert that it can simply allow what has come into being to pass away of its own accord...
https://www.dhammatalks.org/books/Parad ... n0005.html

The title of one of his other books implies a paradox: Selves and Not-Self.
My take on it is that one can't jump ahead on the path to realizing not-self (or non-becoming). One first "becomes" one who follows the path until the path leads one to realize not-self and non-becoming. One does not have to realize not-self to follow the path -- and thinking that one needs to understand/believe/realize not-self can actually be disruptive to progress on the path (caught in a thicket of views). Like I said, that's just my take on it w/o claiming to fully understand. But one or both of these books might be helpful if this is a barrier on the path.
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

JohnK wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:58 pm
No_Mind wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:31 am ...How does one get past this paradox?...
FWIW, Thanissaro Bhikkhu acknowledges a paradox. The word is in the title of one of his books, The Paradox of Becoming.
I have not yet gotten beyond the first chapter, so can't offer much, but here is a little from the Preface [italics added]:
The importance of becoming is evident from the role it plays in the four noble truths, particularly in the second: Suffering and stress are caused by any form of craving that leads to becoming. Thus the end of suffering must involve the end of becoming. The central paradox of becoming is also evident in the second noble truth, where one of the three forms of craving leading to becoming is craving for non-becoming—the ending of what has come to be. This poses a practical challenge for any attempt to put an end to becoming...[T]he Buddha himself taught a strategic resolution to this paradox, in which the fourth noble truth—the path to the end of suffering—involves creating a type of becoming where the mind is so steady and alert that it can simply allow what has come into being to pass away of its own accord...
The title of one of his other books implies a paradox: Selves and Not-Self.
My take on it is that one can't jump ahead on the path to realizing not-self (or non-becoming). One first "becomes" one who follows the path until the path leads one to realize not-self and non-becoming. One does not have to realize not-self to follow the path -- and thinking that one needs to understand/believe/realize not-self can actually be disruptive to progress on the path (caught in a thicket of views). Like I said, that's just my take on it w/o claiming to fully understand. But one or both of these books might be helpful if this is a barrier on the path.
Splendid answer

Circle5

Post by Circle5 »

auto wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:03 pm you seem to be an observer who observes thoughts/dhamma
According to the historical Buddha, there is nobody observing, nobody suffering, nobody experiencing pleasure. There is just suffering, pleasure, thoughts, feelings, etc. arising and ceasing based on conditions. Same as a window might appear and disappear on a computer due to conditions. No self is needed for that to happen, and nobody will ever find a self there no matter how much he searches.
My take on it is that one can't jump ahead on the path to realizing not-self (or non-becoming). One first "becomes" one who follows the path until the path leads one to realize not-self and non-becoming. One does not have to realize not-self to follow the path -- and thinking that one needs to understand/believe/realize not-self can actually be disruptive to progress on the path (caught in a thicket of views)
First step of the noble 8thfold path is attaining Right view (stream entry). In the suttas, we see that whenever Buddha met new people, his first move was to expose them to the higher dhamma, and after a couple of days of contemplation, those people became stream enterers. Some even did it in a couple of hours, others took as long as 1 month.

Trying to be a buddhist without doing this first important step is like trying to build the roof of a house before building the house. The buddhist path will be difficult and generally inefficient in such a case. I like this old post by Zom about the problem: viewtopic.php?t=23716
auto

Post by auto »

Circle5 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:12 pm
auto wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:03 pm you seem to be an observer who observes thoughts/dhamma
According to the historical Buddha, there is nobody observing, nobody suffering, nobody experiencing pleasure. There is just suffering, pleasure, thoughts, feelings, etc. arising and ceasing based on conditions. Same as a window might appear and disappear on a computer due to conditions. No self is needed for that to happen, and nobody will ever find a self there no matter how much he searches.
hello eternalism.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

No_Mind wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:33 pm ...who/what is being asked to understand that the self is an illusion?

...Who is being asked?
Per SN 12.12, "who" seems to be the wrong question. Since what attains liberation in the suttas is "the citta" or "mind", it seems it is the mind that must understand the illusion. Its probably like breaking a leg. Its the leg that must be repaired & healed rather than "the self".
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Circle5

Post by Circle5 »

DooDoot wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:40 pm Per SN 12.12, "who" seems to be the wrong question. Since what attains liberation in the suttas is "the citta" or "mind", it seems it is the mind that must understand the illusion. Its probably like breaking a leg. Its the leg that must be repaired & healed rather than "the self".
An even better example is a computer recognizing a virus and removing it. There is information, ability to process information, alghorithms that help deciding what to do depending on this information, etc. There is no self in the computer processing the information, no self that is deciding to remove the virus based on that information. There is no self in there whatsoever.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Circle5 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:11 pmcomputer
I am listening to a Bhikkhu Buddhadasa talk now about Anapanasati and your post reminded me of one of his old talks (although I don't recall the content of the talk). Possibly "you" (the mind) can listen to it and provide some feedback for "us" (other minds).

There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati