Can you see Dependent Origination instantly at this (thought) moment?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Can you see Dependent Origination instantly at this (thought) moment?

1)Yes
61%
2)No
22%
3)Don't KNow
17%

Total votes: 18

DooDoot

Re: Can you see Dependent Origination instantly at this (thought) moment?

Post by DooDoot »

SkillfulA wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:35 am "how do things come to be?"
"Things" or "suffering"?? :shrug:
And what, bhikkhus, is dependent origination? With ignorance as condition, volitional formations come to be; with volitional formations, consciousness … as in preceding sutta … Such is the origin of this whole mass of suffering.

https://suttacentral.net/sn12.2/en/bodhi
:candle:
SkillfulA wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:35 amIt is not a teaching to describe experiential experience as you can experience right here and now
MN 38 appears to say it is experienced right here & now:
Such is the cessation of this whole mass of suffering.... Good, bhikkhus. So you have been guided by me with this Dhamma, which is visible here and now, immediately effective, inviting inspection, onward leading, to be experienced by the wise for themselves.

https://suttacentral.net/mn38/en/bodhi
SkillfulA wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:35 amit does not mean first DO has been there and then in collapses from "aging and death" down to ignorance.
I thought it collapsed from ignorance rather than to ignorance.
But with the remainderless fading away and cessation of ignorance comes cessation of volitional formations; with the cessation of volitional formations, cessation of consciousness…. Such is the cessation of this whole mass of suffering.

https://suttacentral.net/mn38/en/bodhi
SkillfulA wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:35 am That is impossible/ is nonsense if you think a little about it. It just means if there is no aging and death all the other DO links can't be possibly there.
Yes, its non-sense if the collapse starts from "aging and death" down to ignorance. Fortunately, the Buddha seemed to say the collapse starts from "ignorance" up to "aging & death".
SarathW wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:47 amIt is important to note that DO is not about the matter but about the mind.
Not about Rupa but about Nama. We can't use DO to explain the physical body of an Arahant.
It seems to be about both the body & the mind, such as:
For him — infatuated, attached, confused, not remaining focused on their drawbacks — the five clinging-aggregates head toward future accumulation. The craving that makes for further becoming — accompanied by passion & delight, relishing now this & now that — grows within him. His bodily disturbances & mental disturbances grow. His bodily torments & mental torments grow. His bodily distresses & mental distresses grow. He is sensitive both to bodily stress & mental stress.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
:smile:
Last edited by DooDoot on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SkillfulA

Post by SkillfulA »

SarathW wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:47 am It is important to note that DO is not about the matter but about the mind.
Not about Rupa but about Nama.
We can't use DO to explain the physical body of an Arahant.
That is totally wrong. I know some monks and laypeople teach all sorts of creative interpretations of DO in Sri Lanka which attracts especially educated people who love to conceptualise and discuss DO since they believe that's a shortcut to sotapanna. If you compare with SN 12.2 birth means the actual human birth and aging and death exactly literally what it means. There is no base for those creative theories. SN 12.2 https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipita ... .than.html
Now what is aging and death? Whatever aging, decrepitude, brokenness, graying, wrinkling, decline of life-force, weakening of the faculties of the various beings in this or that group of beings, that is called aging. Whatever deceasing, passing away, breaking up, disappearance, dying, death, completion of time, break up of the aggregates, casting off of the body, interruption in the life faculty of the various beings in this or that group of beings, that is called death.

"And what is birth? Whatever birth, taking birth, descent, coming-to-be, coming-forth, appearance of aggregates, & acquisition of [sense] media of the various beings in this or that group of beings, that is called birth.
Link no 4 in DO is called nama Rupa.

We can't use DO to explain anything about an arahant, not even his mind. That's also not the intended idea and usage of DO to explain such things but of course many use it in that wrong way.

How comes you believe there is no Rupa no matter and no body in DO?

-----

While reading sn 12.2 I saw the reverse order of DO starting with ignorance, totally forgot that one. Underlines the same conclusion, Do is not something anyone can experiential experience, just a concept.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SkillfulA wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:43 amIf you compare with SN 12.2 birth means the actual human birth and aging and death exactly literally what it means.
Actually, SN 12.2 appears to literally refer to the birth & death of "beings" ("satta"). If we are going to take a "literal" approach, the suttas, namely, SN 23.2 & SN 5.10 (below), appear to literally define "a being" ("satta") as a "view", "idea", "word" or "convention".
'A being,' lord. 'A being,' it's said. To what extent is one said to be 'a being'?"

"Any desire, passion, delight, or craving for form, Radha: when one is caught up there, tied up there, one is said to be 'a being.'

"Any desire, passion, delight, or craving for feeling... perception... fabrications...

"Any desire, passion, delight, or craving for consciousness, Radha: when one is caught up there, tied up there, one is said to be 'a being.'

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

Why now do you assume 'a being'?
Mara, have you grasped a view?
This is a heap of sheer constructions:
Here no being is found.

Just as, with an assemblage of parts,
The word 'chariot' is used,
So, when the aggregates are present,
There's the convention 'a being.'

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .bodh.html
In other words, SN 12,2 might be literally saying "aging & death" is the view that "my hair is greying, my teeth are rotting, my wife's skin is wrinkling, I am dying, my father is dying; my son is dead". The words coloured are "views" about "beings" ("satta"). SN 12.2 might be literally saying this.
SkillfulA wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:43 amThat is totally wrong. I know some monks and laypeople teach all sorts of creative interpretations of DO... There is no base for those creative theories.
The impression is it is you (SkillfulA) engaged in the creative non-literal interpretations of DO. :mrgreen:
SkillfulA wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:43 amWe can't use DO to explain anything about an arahant, not even his mind.
Why not? Since the 4th link is nama-rupa conditioned by ignorance, surely we can say an arahant has a nama-rupa free from ignorance. Is an Arahant without a physical form comprised of earth, wind, fire & water elements or without feeling, perception, intention, contact & attention??? Also, since suttas appear to say an arahant is without birth & death, surely, we can use the links in DO to explain an arahant.
Bhikkhu, ‘I am’ is a conceiving; ‘I am this’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall not be’ is a conceiving'.... Conceiving is a disease, conceiving is a tumour, conceiving is a dart. By overcoming all conceivings, bhikkhu, one is called a sage at peace. And the sage at peace is not born, does not age, does not die; he is not shaken and does not yearn. For there is nothing present in him by which he might be born. Not being born, how could he age? Not ageing, how could he die? Not dying, how could he be shaken? Not being shaken, why should he yearn?

https://suttacentral.net/mn140/en/bodhi
SkillfulA wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:43 am Do is not something anyone can experiential experience, just a concept.
So what was the Buddha doing for 12 hours described in Ud 1.1; Ud 1.2; & Ud 1.3??? Is MN 28 a mistranslation or fake sutta? :shrug:
Now this has been said by the Blessed One: “One who sees dependent origination sees the Dhamma; one who sees the Dhamma sees dependent origination.” And these five aggregates affected by clinging are dependently arisen. The desire, indulgence, inclination, and holding based on these five aggregates affected by clinging is the origin of suffering. The removal of desire and lust, the abandonment of desire and lust for these five aggregates affected by clinging is the cessation of suffering.’ At that point too, friends, much has been done by that bhikkhu.

https://suttacentral.net/mn28/en/bodhi

:smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

SkillfulA

Post by SkillfulA »

DooDoot wrote:
Many thanks for pointing out my truly creative reverse order version! :mrgreen: what a relief that Buddha did not teach such a creative nonsense. :D

Many thanks also for bringing those nice suttas to my attention.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

SkillfulA wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:47 pm
DooDoot wrote:
Many thanks for pointing out my truly creative reverse order version! :mrgreen: what a relief that Buddha did not teach such a creative nonsense. :D

Many thanks also for bringing those nice suttas to my attention.
Agree.
Good posting by DD.
However, Buddha once said we can't find Buddha when he was alive let alone after his Parinibbana.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
daniil

Post by daniil »

Here is how I got here:

Doubt (the dhamma) -> Disliking -> thinking ->turn (hand)-> touch (phone) - grasp ->turn ->see-> press(ON button) > wanting -> intention (to learn) -> thinking->pressing (typing in dhammawheel.com) -> wanting (social approval by the answering of the question) -> intention -> thinking (too much to admit) -> seeing -> disliking (the idea to text this) -> posting (anyways)
SDC

Post by SDC »

SkillfulA wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:52 amPerception is never independent or alone. It depends on so many things but I have the feeling I do not understand the meaning of your question right! If so what do you want to know exactly?
Thanks for the response!

What I was asking: is perception itself, i.e. the act of perceiving - in this case, the layers of DO/PS - is that perceiving independent of the links being perceived? Is perceiving something other than what is being perceived? Or if we want to get really crazy: is that which perceives something separate from PS?

In the case of DO/PS I think this gets particularly tricky. If you say yes than it would appear that perception is beyond the reach of PS since it is that which is directed at it, i.e. perceiving it. If you say no than we would have to find out where perception is within the scope of PS.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
SkillfulA

Post by SkillfulA »

SDC wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:36 am
SkillfulA wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:52 amPerception is never independent or alone. It depends on so many things but I have the feeling I do not understand the meaning of your question right! If so what do you want to know exactly?
Thanks for the response!

What I was asking: is perception itself, i.e. the act of perceiving - in this case, the layers of DO/PS - is that perceiving independent of the links being perceived? Is perceiving something other than what is being perceived? Or if we want to get really crazy: is that which perceives something separate from PS?

In the case of DO/PS I think this gets particularly tricky. If you say yes than it would appear that perception is beyond the reach of PS since it is that which is directed at it, i.e. perceiving it. If you say no than we would have to find out where perception is within the scope of PS.
BTW what is PS?

I have experienced states where the perceiver and the perceived is clearly felt to be two different things/separated. On the other hand I have also experienced states where everything is one, no difference and separation between perceiver and perceived is perceived, same nature, the mind boundless, perception boundless.
Anyway important is however the mode is, it is not me or mine etc it is also not permanent. That boundless timeless state is at least not permanent as long there is avicca sankhara tanha to pull you out again.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
SkillfulA wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:21 pm BTW what is PS?
Shorthand for paticcasamuppada, aka dependent origination, aka DO.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:07 pmHowever, Buddha once said we can't find Buddha when he was alive...
I imagine the above is a misunderstanding of the relevant texts....

:focus:

SkillfulA

Post by SkillfulA »

retrofuturist wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:11 pm Greetings,
SkillfulA wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:21 pm BTW what is PS?
Shorthand for paticcasamuppada, aka dependent origination, aka DO.

Metta,
:thanks: :lol:
SDC

Post by SDC »

SkillfulA wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:21 pm I have experienced states where the perceiver and the perceived is clearly felt to be two different things/separated. On the other hand I have also experienced states where everything is one, no difference and separation between perceiver and perceived is perceived, same nature, the mind boundless, perception boundless.
I think I know what you are referring to and it would seem the significance and meaning of it depends on the intention towards experience.

In experience, there is the quality of a certain thing as being the subject opposed to an object, yet in a certain sense is that very subject which too has appeared (if it didn't then the distinction would not be possible). So it would seem that the subject has the quality to both appear and be the reason for appearance. But in order for a thing to be deemed the subject (the "I"), it should primarily (perhaps fully) be that thing doing the perceiving of things, not be there completely among the things themselves. In other words, that distinction between subject and object does not take into account the direction towards that which has appeared. It is that direction itself which always remains outside of the appearance, but without it appearance wouldn't be. Nevertheless there is the intention to draw it out as a tangible appearance. That intention is simply the belief that the direction can be pushed out into the field to be seen, that it can be transferred or brought into the realm of appearance, failing to take into account that no matter what the appearance is, all appearance comes with the direction that does not appear, it is merely implied. This, like any implication, is knowing that a thing is there without actually seeing it. That direction is therefore a thing, but not just any thing.

I think it is safe to say that there is not problem with that direction being known in this way. Clearly it is there. The problem arises by assuming its nature: that it belongs to a subject, that it is the subject. Of course that assumption is negatively present, for it is even more obscure than that directionality in terms of not having that nature to appear positively. But that negativity takes on the quality of something positive. Why? Because we are accepting of its elusive nature that too is implied...by ignorance: whether or not it is accepted, denied, both accepted and denied or neither accepted nor denied the subject, that subject has a valid position in experience.
Ven. Nanavira wrote:A determination [sankhara] is essentially negative—'Omnis determinatio est negatio' said Spinoza --, and a negative, a negation, only exists as a denial of something positive. The positive thing's existence is asserted by the negative in the very act of denying it...and its essence (or nature) is defined by the negative in stating what it is not... A negative thus determines both the existence and the essence of a positive. -Notes on Dhamma, A Note on PS

my emphasis
That is why it seems as though both subject and object appear and that both are tangible. There will always be that aspect of subject, but the arahat has cut off the significance of it being the reason for the appearance of things. For the arahat it is that thing that used to point to "I" but now points to nothing.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Modern day science views paticca samuppada as a physico chemico (rupa) with psycho process intergrated with the terestrial composition connected to cosmos.
Hence paticca samuppada is a name to the ongoing activity of beings. Conditioning is part of the game.As such this process has no time limitations.
xofz

Post by xofz »

Why can't we change our vote?
becoming aware!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings xofz,
xofz wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:15 am Why can't we change our vote?
It's a checkbox when you create a poll... it's either checked, and re-voting can happen... or it's not.

How about this... I didn't vote in this poll because I disagreed with the premise and definitions... maybe PM your "new vote" to me and I'll vote that. It should at least cancel out your initial vote...

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."