Hillside Hermitage

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Murrungundie

Hillside Hermitage

Post by Murrungundie »

http://www.hillsidehermitage.org/

Ajahn nyanamoli thero has many audio talks and now some video that can be found at the website of hillside hermitage.

Personally I've gained much from his teachings.

Has anyone else found the dhamma he expounds to be refreshingly profound as the Buddha dhamma should be?
SDC

Re: Hillside Hermitage

Post by SDC »

Not sure if anyone has checked out this link, but the four monks who reside at this small hermitage are quite inspiring living in difficult jungle conditions. The gang over at Path Press is coordinating a fundraiser for the construction of another kuti. I'm opting to plug this because I have donated in the past and have seen the funds go to directly to these projects.

If anyone is interested they can find information on how to donate here.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

SDC wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:21 pm Not sure if anyone has checked out this link, but the four monks who reside at this small hermitage are quite inspiring living in difficult jungle conditions. The gang over at Path Press is coordinating a fundraiser for the construction of another kuti. I'm opting to plug this because I have donated in the past and have seen the funds go to directly to these projects.

If anyone is interested they can find information on how to donate here.
Sweet, I’ve now helped house a bhikkhu. Thanks for the opportunity.

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Murrungundie wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:17 am http://www.hillsidehermitage.org/

Ajahn nyanamoli thero has many audio talks and now some video that can be found at the website of hillside hermitage.

Personally I've gained much from his teachings.

Has anyone else found the dhamma he expounds to be refreshingly profound as the Buddha dhamma should be?
Very much so. There is a wealth of teachings not only on YouTube but also audio and essays on the Hillside webpage. I find that the teachings are very practical, and help see things from an experiential pov.
“Householder, you have provided the community of monks with robes, alms food, lodgings, & medicinal requisites for the sick, but you shouldn’t rest content with the thought, ‘We have provided the community of monks with robes, alms food, lodgings, & medicinal requisites for the sick.’ So you should train yourself, ‘Let’s periodically enter & remain in seclusion & rapture.’ That’s how you should train yourself.”
AN 5.176- Rapture
lostitude

Post by lostitude »

Murrungundie wrote:
As a beginner I can't tell if what he explains is especially ground-breaking, but his style is definitely refreshing, no-nonsense and pragmatic. I find that several monks on YouTube tend to sound like they just emerged from a super deep jhana, talking extremely slowly with a dreamy voice, sometimes not even knowing how to say what they try to say. This one however sounds like he is still a normal human being with his feet on the ground, and this naturally helps me identify with him and with what the says. The absence of any hesitation or difficulty phrasing his thoughts, when he explains difficult concepts, proves that he knows his stuff and truly understands what he is talking about. And this seems pretty rare, oddly.