Anapanasati and the Breathing Diaphragm

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Pondera

Anapanasati and the Breathing Diaphragm

Post by Pondera »

I’m curious if anyone at DW practices anapanasati with their attention on the breathing diaphragm. What are your findings? Are there a lot of teachers out there who recommend this technique?

Pondéra
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
chownah

Re: Anapanasati and the Breathing Diaphragm

Post by chownah »

Abdominal breathing is probably the most commonly taught form of breath meditation. Abdominal breathing is what results when the diaphragm is the only muscle used for the breath and all the other muscles which can be used for breathing are relaxed. I don't think that most people pay attention specifically to the diaphragm but rather they pay attention to the sensations at the abdomen without differentiating exactly what part(s) of the body give rise to the sensation.
chownah
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Has anyone seen results by releasing tension in the breathing diaphragm?
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
chownah

Post by chownah »

I have seen those results.
chownah
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I find the diaphragm easier to focus on than the abdomen. After about 45 minutes on the abdomen I don't feel anything moving around or interesting there. If I focus on the diaphragm, chest, or neck, then there's a lot more going on. Everybody is different of course.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

chownah wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:02 am I have seen those results.
chownah
Equanimity?
chownah

Post by chownah »

Pondera wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:46 am
chownah wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:02 am I have seen those results.
chownah
Equanimity?
If you are asking me if the results I have seen from releasing tension in the diaphragm include equanimity then the answer is a qualified NO. The result I have had from releasing tension in the diaphragm is a clearer and deeper concentration or focus of the mind so the exact result of more relaxed breathing is better concentration...but...with this better focus and concentration it is much easier for equanimity to arise on its own or it is easier to direct the mind toward equanimity to help in its arising.

For me (and I think usually for most people) the meditation on breath is all about concentrating the mind and then after the mind is focused it can be directed (or it can direct itself) towards discernment.....then if the mind starts to wander it can be brought back to the breath to refocus it.
chownah
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Thanissaro Bhikku would be included in those who teach breathing with the whole body, and while it usually focuses more on breath energy than the diaphragm specifically, he does mention it in his talks.

Likewise, he speaks often about not "pulling" the air in with the nose, but breathing in a more whole-body way.

Try this small experiment for a more hands-on understanding:

1) First, suck in air through your nose, almost like exaggerated "sniffing". This form of breathing is what Thanissaro advises against. It should be pretty loud and almost entirely felt in the head.

2) Now, breath from the deep interior of the body, to the point that the nose should not make any noise despite it still being very important to the process. The focus is more like the interior of the body as a balloon, and it naturally pulsates with the breath without any forced sucking in of the breath.

My experience is that no. 2 reuslts in a very comfortable whole-body jhana. Many people unintentionally breathe in the style of no.1, but AFAIK the only people who do it intentionally are the Sunlun Vipassana people.
:candle: :buddha1: :candle: