Teaching of Ven. Buddhaparayana - 31 planes of existence and 32 marks of the Buddha!!

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Teaching of Ven. Buddhaparayana - 31 planes of existence and 32 marks of the Buddha!!

Post by SarathW »

31 planes of existence and 32 marks of the Buddha!!

Another bombshell from a Sri Lankan Buddhist monk!

In the following video (Sinhala Language) Ven. Buddhaparayana gives a different interpretation to the following terms.

Papanca = Five senses X Five aggregate = 25
31 planes of existence = Papanca + six Ayatana = 31
32 marks of Buddha = Person who realise 31 planes existence + Nibbana

I am not sure where he got this description. He said that was his own realisation.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Re: Teaching of Ven. Buddhaparayana - 31 planes of existence and 32 marks of the Buddha!!

Post by SarathW »

thepea

Re: Teaching of Ven. Buddhaparayana - 31 planes of existence and 32 marks of the Buddha!!

Post by thepea »

This reminds me of a retreat I went to at a Sri lanken temple in my neighbourhood. The monks were telling me for months how important this was for me to attend,
that the visiting monk was very wise and knowledgeable. It was mostly Sri lankens in attendance and I would sit all day and then the evening discourses were spoken in Sinhalese, people laughed and asked questions while I had no idea what was going on. Just sitting on my ass in a great deal of pain. On the third day I asked if he could speak English they said yes, but it was better for the members as they were more easily understand Sinhalese language. I left and didn’t return.

This monk may be very wise and there may be gems of wisdom hidden in his sermon, how can we discuss these points when we don’t speak this language. We would be limited to your personal understanding and comments regarding this topic.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Ven. Buddhaparayan said in the following video (Sinhala language). (indirectly) that he attained Nibbana on 2nd July 1997.
I have no reason to doubt him after listening to many of his talks.
You are welcome to object to this.

sentinel

Post by sentinel »

SarathW wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:41 am

Five aggregates :
Form feeling perception volition consciousness

Form included the five senses .

Overlapping .
You always gain by giving
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Five aggregate and six senses are a matrix of 30. (ie 5x6)
I have seen a different variation of this.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

In the following video, Ven B argues that Kamma Phala (vipaka) is not the teaching of Buddha.
He said it is the teaching of Niganthanathaputta as it assumes a person.
According to Ven, B what Buddha taught was the Hetu Phala which is Dependent Origination which operates without a person.
:shrug:

justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Irrespective of terms and words it is best to follow paticca samuppada with arya ashtanga marga. It is simple as we indulge ourselves with dana sila bhavana.
Bhavana in due course will teach us how to navigate ourselves.
Trying to understand the difficult areas of damma can retard us from progress while deviating us from our proper path.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

In the following Video Ven. B argues that Buddhagosha was an ex Jain scholar and he admitted that he did not have much understanding of Dependent Origination. It appears Sinhala Hela Atuwa (perhaps these are the Sinhalese commentaries) to be the most trusted source to understand the Tipitaka. It appears Buddhagosha explain Dependent Origination based on Jainism.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Ven. B take a complete U turn in the following video.
Sorry, this is in the Sinhalese language, but I have to post it here to show you there is another trend in Sri Lankan Buddhism.
He Said that Buddha did not talk about the four stages of sainthood.
He also mentioned that Anicca, Dukkha and Anatta as three units also not a part of Buddha's teaching.
He also provide a complete diffrent interpretation to 10 Paramis.
What he basically saying is that many of us are bogged down in categories used to teach the Dhamma on a mundane level.
Basically, I do not have any disagreement with him at this moment.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

In his sermons Ven. B clearly said that Nama-rupa in Dependent origination as the mental pictures of the object. He also says there is a pressure from his main supporters not to teach these Dhamma perhaps it is too deep for some people to understand. This is perhaps true considering the fact he is teaching for about 20 years and the average visit for hid Youtube videos are about 500 people. This resonates with the visitors to Bhikkhu Bodi's videos such as Nibbana sermon.
He also said Ven. Buddhagosha has distorted the Buddhas teaching even though he had a lot of respect for him.
He also said that Dependent Origination operates within the mind. (Vinnana) ie: Dependent origination is not about Rupa.
He also avoids talking about past life and future life. (rebirth). He said it is unknown to him and is not relevant. The past Dukkha is already ceased and the future Dukkha not yet has arisen. He said what is important is observing the Dukkha samudaya (arising) and Nirodaha (perishing) at this very moment.
Noahs ark

Post by Noahs ark »

SarathW wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:41 am 31 planes of existence and 32 marks of the Buddha!!

In the following video (Sinhala Language) Ven. Buddhaparayana gives a different interpretation to the following terms.

I am not sure where he got this description. He said that was his own realisation.

Greetings,
I don't understand the relevance in regard to these calculations? I can read what you wrote and do the math and yet nothing has significantly changed for me.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Noahs ark wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:19 pm
SarathW wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:41 am 31 planes of existence and 32 marks of the Buddha!!

I am not sure where he got
From whereever the description is I observe that five senses ought to be corrected here as six senses and 5 aggregates are correct. Then 5 aggregates touched by six senses gives rise to 5x6 thought combinations subjected to vitakka and vicara.
Again in pronouncing papanca it should be read as papanca without dragging the 2nd a after first p.eg: If it is read as paapanca it gives a different meaning.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Some comments from Ajahn Sujato "On the 32 Marks" which are definately worth reading:

https://sujato.wordpress.com/2011/04/06 ... -32-marks/

Excerpt:

There is plenty of incidental detail in the Suttas and Vinaya that show that the Buddha was normal in appearance, so any freakish or supernatural interpretation of the marks must be wrong. Leaving a few of the bizarre elements aside, most of the marks are straightforward signs of physical beauty: black hair, white teeth, gold skin, and the like.

The Suttas themselves attribute the marks to ancient Brahmanical texts, although strangely enough they are not found in any extant Brahmanical works.

There is some suggestion that they may be Babylonian in origin: one of the early texts that features them (Parayanavagga) speaks of a Brahman called ‘Bavari’, which is just the Pali spelling of ‘Babylonian’; marks and omens of all kinds are rampant in Babylon and related cultures. In addition, the 32 marks are closely connected with the idea that the Buddha is a ‘Great man’, who has to choose between spiritual and royal dominion. This choice is first expressed in the myth of Gilgamesh, thousands of years before the Buddha, the most famous myth throughout the Babylonian region.

It is quite normal to have a child inspected for various auspicious marks, and so on, and so there is little reason to doubt that this happened to Siddhattha. It is also normal, indeed, essential, for the hero to fulfill ancient prophecies. While we can’t say what marks the Buddha actually had, we can be sure that if he did not fulfill an ancient prophecy, one would have been invented for him.

(More at the link provided above)

:anjali: