How to practise sati ?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SkillfulA

Re: How to practise sati ?

Post by SkillfulA »

Doodoot wrote: I was referring to how in kayanupassana it can be discerned the effect of ignorance upon the kaya sankara.
Interesting. Can you elaborate a bit on "the effect of ignorance upon the kaya sankhara"?
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

SkillfulA wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:37 am
Doodoot wrote: I was referring to how in kayanupassana it can be discerned the effect of ignorance upon the kaya sankara.
Interesting. Can you elaborate a bit on "the effect of ignorance upon the kaya sankhara"?
What a funny world ! Interesting question .
You always gain by giving
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Buddha save me from new-agers!
auto

Post by auto »

pegembara wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:35 am
auto wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:15 pm
i am aware of that i am doing the breathing, its on Suttas.

https://suttacentral.net/mn118/en/sujato
Being aware of the breath is not the same as thinking 'I am' breathing which is the only the initial instruction according to MN118.
When breathing in heavily they know: ‘I’m breathing in heavily.’ When breathing out heavily they know: ‘I’m breathing out heavily.’ When breathing in lightly they know: ‘I’m breathing in lightly.’ When breathing out lightly they know: ‘I’m breathing out lightly.’
The next part says experiencing or being aware or merely observing the breath.
They practice breathing in experiencing the whole body. They practice breathing out experiencing the whole body.
They practice breathing in observing impermanence. They practice breathing out observing impermanence. They practice breathing in observing fading away. They practice breathing out observing fading away. They practice breathing in observing cessation. They practice breathing out observing cessation. They practice breathing in observing letting go. They practice breathing out observing letting go
You asked and answered-
so what in your opinion lies on the otherside of the Unbinding?

it is you.
That is not what the teaching of anatta is about.

viewtopic.php?t=16264
body originated awareness has its own presence suffused into sensefields. There in sense fields the phenomena has no self instead you have an aura of self you can concentrate upon, hence sense of self.
Self because saying it it works like a nimitta for a state where you are aware of yourself and then can get to the feelings of sense of self. Then the sense of self goes away whats left is stillness and clarity and you at some point can rise the awareness to head.

everytime you come aware you cultivate energy into body, it will at some point come out and move around it then will be returned to the body and at some point rised into the head.

Why you are sceptic, that awreness is not possible to have at first because of the mind in the senses hasn't ceased.

it involves practice with sense organs(eyes) and its object(seeing) etc before getting access to body. The anapanasati is for who have access to body and can use its energy what is cultivated there by sila etc.

use internet search for key words, you get to read some info from books who are yogis how to conduct empirical tests to get validation and confidence if you practice is going to the direction of making progress. I mean empirical as using your eyes in a certain way should result in somethign etc.

Why i tell, its becuase even if you do 100 times progress it counts as very little in overall progress.. and sometimes you hear people report tehir mindblowing expereince these will be needle tip small sensation later you run through. Not allowed to talk about experiences is because for experienced its weak, but for you its mindblowing. So perhaps what i type is weak

And the processes happen anyway for all living beings but without discernment. So the descent of a mind can happen just by relaxing, it won't be that easy later. Being angry and then beating some inanimate object is hindrance, and the awareness there needs be liberated otherwise you keep on repeating same process same way with some variations. So hardening the discipline makes path itself harder, now if you don't beat then you still need figure out how to get pass that issue of anger like just swinging the hand, giving a gesture is much finer. Whats the point is that when you give out that kind of gesture then there is a state appear what needs to be caught(discerned) and cultivated that will liberate the mind