Question 4 re- MN118 Anapanasati Sutta

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

[4] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in calming bodily fabrication.'[3] He trains himself, 'I will breathe out calming bodily fabrication.'
What is the meaning of above?
I can't agree with Bhikkhu Bodhi's explanation.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

Last edited by SarathW on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
mikenz66

Re: Question 1 re- MN118 Anapanasati Sutta

Post by mikenz66 »

Can you summarise what Bhikku Bodhi says about the sentence, and what your2 disagreement is?

Mike
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

"In-&-out breaths are bodily fabrications. Directed thought & evaluation are verbal fabrications. Perceptions & feelings are mental fabrications."

"But why are in-&-out breaths bodily fabrications? Why are directed thought & evaluation verbal fabrications? Why are perceptions & feelings mental fabrications?"

"In-&-out breaths are bodily; these are things tied up with the body. That's why in-&-out breaths are bodily fabrications. Having first directed one's thoughts and made an evaluation, one then breaks out into speech. That's why directed thought & evaluation are verbal fabrications. Perceptions & feelings are mental; these are things tied up with the mind. That's why perceptions & feelings are mental fabrications."

Things tied to the body - breathing/heartbeat/tremors/sympathetic-adrenergic systems.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

mikenz66 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:56 am Can you summarise what Bhikku Bodhi says about the sentence, and what your2 disagreement is?

Mike
Bhikkhu Bodhi limits the Kaya Sankahara only to the breath.
Kaya Sankhara is not limited to the in an out breath.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

pegembara wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:01 am
"In-&-out breaths are bodily fabrications. Directed thought & evaluation are verbal fabrications. Perceptions & feelings are mental fabrications."

"But why are in-&-out breaths bodily fabrications? Why are directed thought & evaluation verbal fabrications? Why are perceptions & feelings mental fabrications?"

"In-&-out breaths are bodily; these are things tied up with the body. That's why in-&-out breaths are bodily fabrications. Having first directed one's thoughts and made an evaluation, one then breaks out into speech. That's why directed thought & evaluation are verbal fabrications. Perceptions & feelings are mental; these are things tied up with the mind. That's why perceptions & feelings are mental fabrications."

Things tied to the body - breathing/heartbeat/tremors/sympathetic-adrenergic systems.
Agree.
My question is why it does not include other bodily fabrications.
paul

Re: Question 4 re- MN118 Anapanasati Sutta

Post by paul »

Bikkhu Bodhi is not a meditation monk, and I disagree with him and think that calming should be encouraged. This manipulation assumes critical importance in the second tetrad with the feelings of rapture and happiness.

“Although step 3 doesn’t say to adjust the breath as part of being sensitive to the entire body, there are—as we noted above—two reasons to assume that some manipulation of the breath is involved. To begin with, step 3 as a prelude to step 4 is aimed at sensitizing yourself to the way the breath fabricates your sense of the body as felt from within. To gain this sort of sensitivity, you have to adjust the breath to see what impact that has on the various properties of the body as sensed from within.”—-“Right Mindfulness”, Thanissaro.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

SarathW wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:00 am
pegembara wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:01 am

Agree.
My question is why it does not include other bodily fabrications.
The phrase kayasankhara could indeed be taken to mean "all bodily fabrications". Because the term sankhara is particularly hard to pin down and the meaning seems to be very context-dependent, the range of possible meanings is very wide. But in the linked video, Bhikkhu Bodhi refers to MN 44, which defines kayasankhara thus:
“But ma’am, what is the physical process? What’s the verbal process? What’s the mental process?”

14.2“Breathing is a physical process. Placing the mind and keeping it connected are verbal processes. Perception and feeling are mental processes.”

15.1“But ma’am, why is breathing a physical process? Why are placing the mind and keeping it connected verbal processes? Why are perception and feeling mental processes?”

15.2“Breathing is physical. It’s tied up with the body, that’s why breathing is a physical process.
It appears that BB takes this more restricted definition here, in the context of the mindfulness of breathing because this definition is actually about breathing and appears more relevant. (If he has another reason, I didn't see it in the few minutes I watched the video).

MN 118 also says:
I tell you, monks, that this — the in-&-out breath — is classed as a body among bodies
Which provides further evidence of the potential usefulness of this restricted use in this particular context.

(There is also the fact that kaya can also mean "group", as well as one's physical body, so there is the possibility that in some contexts the term doesn't even refer to the physical body at all - my Pali isn't good enough to say whether this is a real possibility...)

Some meditation teachers link the sutta to the practice by getting people to relax the whole body at this point; whereas others take the BB line that what is to be relaxed is the breathing. There doesn't seem to be any clear steer from the suttas as to which is definitive and correct, and I guess what happens is that people are taught one way and then this seems to be the naturally correct interpretation for them.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks, Sam
Why bodily Sankahra limited to breath only what about other bodily Sankhara.
There are wholesome and unwholesome bodily Sankara.
For instance killing, stealing, sexual misconduct are unwholesome bodily Sankhara.

:thinking:
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

SarathW wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:02 am Thanks, Sam
Why bodily Sankahra limited to breath only what about other bodily Sankhara.
There are wholesome and unwholesome bodily Sankara.
For instance killing, stealing, sexual misconduct are unwholesome bodily Sankhara.

:thinking:
I think it's just a matter of context. Bhikkhu Bodhi is here talking about mindfulness of breathing, so he restricts the meaning in this context to the breath. Killing, stealing and illicit sex are certainly unwholesome, but if anyone is engaging in them while on the meditation cushion they have deeper misunderstandings!
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Question :

Do you think Mindfulness of breathing or Ananapasati in Buddhism different from the other ascetics Ananapasati ?

I would think Buddha were teaching different type of body contemplation in the four foundation of mindfulness meditation .

The four foundation of mindfulness meditation on body feeling mind and dhamma should be different from other ascetics , because it was mentioned in the text the other ascetics also practiced four foundation of mindfulness meditation .

Do take note that other practice such as four immeasurable was practice by other ascetics before Buddha .
You always gain by giving
bodom

Post by bodom »

The breath is tied to the body and the body to the breath. If the breath is calm the body will naturally be calm as a result and vice versa. You cannot separate the two they condition one another. I never understood the distinction that is made in the commentaries between the breath "body" and the entire physical body.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

James Tan wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:54 pm Question :

Do you think Mindfulness of breathing or Ananapasati in Buddhism different from the other ascetics Ananapasati ?

I would think Buddha were teaching different type of body contemplation in the four foundation of mindfulness meditation .

The four foundation of mindfulness meditation on body feeling mind and dhamma should be different from other ascetics , because it was mentioned in the text the other ascetics also practiced four foundation of mindfulness meditation .

Do take note that other practice such as four immeasurable was practice by other ascetics before Buddha .
Hi James. Please create a new OP for your question. It is a good question to be considered in its own merits.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

What I am saying why did Buddha use the word "calming bodily fabrication" instead of "calming the in-out breath"?
The calming bodily fabrications seems to have a wider meaning.
Volo

Post by Volo »

SarathW wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:07 pm What I am saying why did Buddha use the word "calming bodily fabrication" instead of "calming the in-out breath"?
The calming bodily fabrications seems to have a wider meaning.
Maybe because it belongs to the mindfulness of the body, he wanted to formulate it in terms of body. Moreover if we take kayasankhara as wholesome and unwholesome bodily acts it is not clear, how to calm them down during ānāpānasati. And something like relaxing tension in the head (as Ven. Vimalaramsi takes it) is not refered in Canon as kayasankhara (and I think not mentioned at all). I'm quite confident VBB (together with commentaries and Vism) is right interpreting kayasankhara as breath.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Say for instance if we teach Anapanasti to a murderer in the prison.
In which point he contemplate on his previous bodily action?
Please not this has to be before Pithy and Sukha.
Last edited by SarathW on Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.