What would you do if there is no rebirth ?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Zom

Re: What would you do if there is no rebirth ?

Post by Zom »

If it is true, it means Ven. Brahmali appears to still believe some type of happiness can be found in sensual pleasures.
Believe? That is a naked reality - no need to believe in this ))
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Janes Tan wrote: What would you do if there is no rebirth ?
Carry on as usual!
...the Dhamma is visible in the here-&-now, timeless, inviting verification, pertinent, to be realized by the wise for themselves.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
:anjali:
uojm

Post by uojm »

Bundokji wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:46 am Is your evaluation of the question as "invalid" dependently arising, or mind independent?
I think you are inquiring about the validity? If so, it not about validity but the question contains an informal fallacy (if that is the correct name). Answering then too pick up this mistake of reasoning, which is talking about suffering while taking dependently-arisen things out of the equation. This then leads to more silly implications all going against the teaching. People can talk about their views, opinions, while ignoring the dhamma all they want but why would we, in this forum, go there? Especially, when the error is not seen, it is as if being tricked. Best is not to go along with this kind of (faulty) reasoning.
piotr

Post by piotr »

Kalama Sutta (AN 3.65) wrote:Now, Kalamas, one who is a disciple of the noble ones — his mind thus free from hostility, free from ill will, undefiled, & pure — acquires four assurances in the here-&-now:

(...)

But if there is no world after death, if there is no fruit of actions rightly & wrongly done, then here in the present life I look after myself with ease — free from hostility, free from ill will, free from trouble.' This is the second assurance he acquires.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
denise

Post by denise »

would have tea
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

We practice Dhamma with compassion for ourselves and the future beings.
Ourselves means the present recognisable five aggregate as us.
Future being means the whatever shape of from this present five aggregate transform to.
It is like compassion for your own child.
What if I forgot all my past memories today and can remember the memories from now onwards only?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

If rebirth was somehow disproved, I'd likely continue following the dhamma as usual. The general teachings, especially on ethics, don't become any less practical without rebirth.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

User1249x wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:34 pmyou missed one
I don't mind if "I" missed one. As long as "you" are getting the message of what Buddha-Dhamma is about; then its worth missing one for "your" sake...

:heart: :console:
In four ways, young householder, should one... be understood as a warm-hearted friend:

(i) he reveals his secrets,
(ii) he conceals one's own secrets,
(iii) in misfortune he does not forsake one,
(iv) his life even he sacrifices for one's sake.

DN 31
Self-sacrifice is the basis of Buddhism: the Bodhisattva ideal.

May I attain Buddhahood for the benefit of all sentient beings. This aspiration is called bodhicitta. In practice this means that one vows not just to attain enlightenment or Nirvana (ambitious enough of itself), but to postpone enjoying that enlightenment fully until all other beings too have reached liberation. ;)
:alien:
Aloka wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:32 pmCarry on as usual!
Carry on with the same old usual egoism & habits? :| Possibly consider reading "Kamma & Rebirth" by Ajahn Sumedho.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Javi

Post by Javi »

I would continue to practice Dhamma because it benefits me here and now.
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

What would you do if there IS reincarnation?
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

DooDoot wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:24 pm
Aloka wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:32 pmCarry on as usual!
Carry on with the same old usual egoism & habits? :| Possibly consider reading "Kamma & Rebirth" by Ajahn Sumedho.
"Carry on as usual " includes my study and practice of the Dhamma.....and maybe you could consider abandoning your own elemental "same old usual egoism and habits" of thinking that you are my teacher, "DooDoot".

:hello:
budo

Post by budo »

pegembara wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:40 am What would you do if there IS reincarnation?
The same thing I do now.
chownah

Post by chownah »

chownah
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

"Now, Kalamas, one who is a disciple of the noble ones — his mind thus free from hostility, free from ill will, undefiled, & pure — acquires four assurances in the here-&-now:

"'If there is a world after death, if there is the fruit of actions rightly & wrongly done, then this is the basis by which, with the break-up of the body, after death, I will reappear in a good destination, the heavenly world.' This is the first assurance he acquires.

"'But if there is no world after death, if there is no fruit of actions rightly & wrongly done, then here in the present life I look after myself with ease — free from hostility, free from ill will, free from trouble.' This is the second assurance he acquires.
Nothing would be done differently. :meditate: