Bhikkhu Cintita on Sati

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Bhikkhu Cintita on Sati

Post by Sam Vara »

Bhikkhu Cintita Dinsmore has posted a very fine little essay on Sati (mindfulness), based on its meaning in the EBT.

https://bhikkhucintita.files.wordpress. ... atiebt.pdf

It attempts to rein in some of the conceptual proliferation which has affected this important term. I like this bit, which is related to MN 117:
A simile might help to understand the regulatory role of sati in
making choices according to Dhamma. Sati in this role is like a
thermostat. The heater or air conditioner is like right effort. The
setting of the thermostat is like right view, carrying the age-old
wisdom of climatic comfort, say, 70° F (21° C). The room
temperature is the relevant feature of current situation. The
thermostat pairs the recollection of setting with the discernment
of room temperature, and does this perfectly without distraction.
Would that we were all so reliable.
DooDoot

Re: Bhikkhu Cintita on Sati

Post by DooDoot »

Very good article. It was exceptionally well researched & written, I liked most of it, but found the idea of "descriptive recollection" confusing:
The particular application of sati that characterizes the satipaṭṭhāna is to provide a Dhammic basis for examination of phenomena.

[For example] In investigating craving as it arises we bring teachings to mind about craving, for instance, as a condition for suffering, to understand our experience. This is descriptive recollection.
The article refers to sati as: (1) regulatory recollection and (2) descriptive recollection. Personally, I think all sati is "regulatory recollection". For example, when craving arises, it is a regulatory recollection to reflect craving leads to suffering, in order to abandon the craving. While sati may bring wisdom to a situation (which is sati-sampajanna), this bringing wisdom to a situation is always for regulation; so the mind does not fall into wrong view.

When the article refers to "enlightenment factor of investigation of phenomena" and "dhammānupassanā", in my opinion, it is not the role of sati to determine or influence how the insight occurs. The insight (vipassana) of "investigation of phenomena" and "dhammānupassanā" is direct. In vipassana or dhammānupassanā, the mind sees things directly as they truly are (yathābhūtaṃ). There is no need to recollect any wisdom or "description" here.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Bhikkhu Cintita on Sati

Post by Sam Vara »

DooDoot wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:58 am Very good article. It was exceptionally well written, I liked most of it, but found the idea of "descriptive recollection" confusing:
The particular application of sati that characterizes the satipaṭṭhāna is to provide a Dhammic basis for examination of phenomena.

[For example] In investigating craving as it arises we bring teachings to mind about craving, for instance, as a condition for suffering, to understand our experience. This is descriptive recollection.
The article refers to sati as: (1) regulatory recollection and (2) descriptive recollection. Personally, I think all sati is "regulatory recollection". For example, when craving arises, it is a regulatory recollection to reflect craving leads to suffering, in order to abandon the craving. While sati may bring wisdom to a situation (which is sati-sampajanna), this bringing wisdom to a situation is always for regulation; so the mind does not fall into wrong view.
Yes, I had exactly the same reservations about that bit. I thought the author was going to be making a distinction frequently raised by Ajahn Thanissaro: that there are some defilements which are overcome by active eradication, whereas others are abandoned by simply observing them. In fact, I think he merely wants sati to have a role in observing the truth of the Dhamma, which is obviously useful. But as you say, one then needs (albeit later) to do something about that truth.

:anjali: