Vinaya Comparison of Monastery Allowances

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
bksubhuti

Vinaya Comparison of Monastery Allowances

Post by bksubhuti »

New article: Compares special allowances by tradition. The BMC is based on the Thai Tradition. I include Dhammayut and the Ajahn Chah (Wat Pah Pong) tradition. I also include Wat Khao Sanamachai and Pa-Auk which follow the commentaries and abhidhamma meticulously. Na-Uyana is also similar too. I give a discussion on smoking, betel, cheese, chocolate, soy milk, abhidhamma/commentaries, robe color, eyebrows, and patimokkha admission policies.
see this link here.
https://americanmonk.org/vinaya-compari ... llowances/
User1249x

Re: Vinaya Comparison of Monastery Allowances

Post by User1249x »

excellent article
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

bksubhuti wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:22 am New article: Compares special allowances by tradition. The BMC is based on the Thai Tradition. I include Dhammayut and the Ajahn Chah (Wat Pah Pong) tradition. I also include Wat Khao Sanamachai and Pa-Auk which follow the commentaries and abhidhamma meticulously. Na-Uyana is also similar too. I give a discussion on smoking, betel, cheese, chocolate, soy milk, abhidhamma/commentaries, robe color, eyebrows, and patimokkha admission policies.
see this link here.
https://americanmonk.org/vinaya-compari ... llowances/
Thank you.
I surprised to see the table.
I like Wat Khao Sanamachai NS (Hua Hin) Pa-Auk
I can tolerate but will never be a monk with Wat Pah Pong
In my opinion, the monks in Dhammayut should be forced to disrobe.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
pitakele

Post by pitakele »

~deleted~
Last edited by pitakele on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

I really hope there are some communities that don't fit into either category or don't require strict conformity
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Including Ven. Thānissaro & and many dedicated forest monks?
Oh, I see.
This is how Ven T got his Nibbana as another consciousness and the Anatta as a strategy.
Now I know it is a systemic problem related to all Dhammautta.
Thanks.
Volo

Post by Volo »

Could somebody tell a few words about Wat Khao Sanamachai (Hua Hin)? Who founded/do they practice any particular method / is it foreigner friendly, etc . Thanks :anjali:
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Yes, very interesting. Thank you. :anjali:
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Hi Bhante

I think it is incorrect to say that the Dhammayut Nikaya "Rejects Abhidhamma" and "Believes Buddha Lives in Nibbana". Possibly some monks with Dhammayut ordination do. Is smoking allowed in all "Dhammayut" monesteries?

Do all branch monasteries of Wat Pa Pong exclude non Wat Pa Pong Monks from Patimokkh? If that is the case now it has not always been the case.

:anjali:
bksubhuti

Post by bksubhuti »

Obviously, it cannot cover all monks from Dhammayut.

Wks is not very English-friendly. They are also an exclusive study monastery. For practice they either go to Pa-Auk or a retreat center down the street which is based on the four postures.

Some of their monks helped set up the Thai Pa-Auk.

It was started by a Lao monk who went back to Laos. They are Mahanikai but do not have allegiance to any nikaya. They only follow vinaya by the commentary.

You need to do as the monastery allows. You can go stricter, but some monks don't like that. If you are at a strict monastery you cannot go less than they do. It is better to be at a strict monastery if it is in the rules with what they follow. Wks was my favorite to date. But long term it is not practical. I saw an affiliate Forrest monastery. I was so happy there with the ways they followed the rules adn disregarded tradition. I was told I could stand and drink if I wanted, but not good to do. It is a big taboo to do in Thailand, but no such rule.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Mr Man wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:10 pm Hi Bhante

I think it is incorrect to say that the Dhammayut Nikaya "Rejects Abhidhamma" and "Believes Buddha Lives in Nibbana". Possibly some monks with Dhammayut ordination do. Is smoking allowed in all "Dhammayut" monesteries?

Do all branch monasteries of Wat Pa Pong exclude non Wat Pa Pong Monks from Patimokkh? If that is the case now it has not always been the case.

:anjali:
Bhante.

I like to know how these rules are observed in Ven. Thannisaro's monasteries.
bksubhuti

Post by bksubhuti »

I like to know how these rules are observed in Ven. Thannisaro's monasteries
All of the discussed allowances are from the BMC which he wrote. He is Dhammayut.
I have never asked him about the Ajahn Mun book.
Volo

Post by Volo »

bksubhuti wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:30 pm Obviously, it cannot cover all monks from Dhammayut.

Wks is not very English-friendly. They are also an exclusive study monastery. For practice they either go to Pa-Auk or a retreat center down the street which is based on the four postures.

Some of their monks helped set up the Thai Pa-Auk.

It was started by a Lao monk who went back to Laos. They are Mahanikai but do not have allegiance to any nikaya. They only follow vinaya by the commentary.

Thanks, bhante :anjali: