Should monks provide ceremonies at weddings, births, etc ?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Dear forum

I read the following in a book:
Theravada certainly has a marked negative outlook, negativity being the tendency to consider only the bad, the ugly or the deficient side of things. Traditionally, Theravadin monks will attend funerals but none of life’s joyful or happy rites of passage. They can see the spiritual significance in
sickness, decay and death but nothing positive about a wedding, a birth or a coming of age.
What do we think of this? Please discuss. Thanks :smile:

There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SarathW

Re: Should monks provide ceremonies at weddings, births, etc ?

Post by SarathW »

I think lay people should spare monks from these type of rites and rituals.
However, it is ok for a newlywed couple to invite monks for a Dana to the house.
I am not sure whether both can be mixed considering the chaotic situation of a wedding ceremony.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

DooDoot wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:57 am Dear forum

Theravada certainly has a marked negative outlook, negativity being the tendency to consider only the bad, the ugly or the deficient side of things. Traditionally, Theravadin monks will attend funerals but none of life’s joyful or happy rites of passage. They can see the spiritual significance in
sickness, decay and death but nothing positive about a wedding, a birth or a coming of age.
I think it is a wrong view, at least today. At the monastery depicted in the video, I've often seen monastics celebrate and bless marriages, new babies, and participate in the taking of refuges and precepts. It seems to be a place and a practice very conducive to the expression of joy.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I think that there’s a danger in using rituals as a means of currying favor with the laity.
There are some ascetics and brahmins who, while enjoying food given in faith, still earn a living by unworthy branches of knowledge, by wrong livelihood. This includes making arrangements for giving and taking in marriage; for engagement and divorce; and for scattering rice inwards or outwards at the wedding ceremony.

https://suttacentral.net/dn2/en/sujato
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Volo

Post by Volo »

Agree with previous posts. Also:
Whereas some ascetics and Brahmins feeding on the food of the faithful, remain addicted to attending such shows as dancing, singing, music, displays, recitations, hand-music, cymbals and drums...
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

DooDoot wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:57 am Dear forum

The duty of monks has been specified by lord buďda as to go and preach the damma to people. The duty of monks is not social duty in marriages and other social needs of people except at funerals which ee can understsnd. The fulfilling of socisl needs is ones duty as explained in parabava and sigalovada sutta.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Whoever wrote that excerpt you quoted probably is unfamiliar with Buddhism, or if they are familiar with it, don't understand it very well.

:anjali:
AgarikaJ

Post by AgarikaJ »

SarathW wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:26 am However, it is ok for a newlywed couple to invite monks for a Dana to the house.
I am not sure whether both can be mixed considering the chaotic situation of a wedding ceremony.
I think we should be very specific if this scenario would involve a monk mediating a marriage or simply providing a Paritta chanting as a blessing for something already decided.

The first would actually be a serious offense; as I am being a little bit lazy today, let me simply re-quote what @Culaavuso wrote, in full, here:
viewtopic.php?t=19651
culaavuso wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:26 pm From Early Buddhist Ceremonies by Sayadaw Bhaddanta Silanandabhivamsa:
Sayadaw Bhaddanta Silanandabhivamsa wrote: For Buddhists, marriage is totally secular and has nothing to do with religion. No Bhikkhus in Theravada countries officiate at marriage ceremonies. Neither are marriage ceremonies performed at Buddhist Viharas, Temples or Pagodas. They can be done at any convenient place other than the places already stated.

Ways of ceremony may differ with the place where the individual concerned lives. As marriage is secular in its nature, the individual is free to follow the custom of the place or country in so far as the tenets of Buddhism are not impaired. It is, therefore, not allowable for the marriage to be held. e.g., in a Christian Church, or to have it been officiated by a Christian. The best place to have a marriage ceremony performed is at one's own house, or if the house is not big enough for the gathering, the town hail or some other suitable place. Marriage can be conducted by the parents of both sides, or by an elderly man respected by both families, or any other person whom the two sides choose. There will, no doubt, be rejoicings and feasts, which can be done freely.

But if the individual is desirous of having some religious flavour in marriage, he can do no better than invite some Bhikkhus, a day or two after the ceremony, and offer them food and requisites and request them to give advice or admonition to the newly-wedded couple. The Bhikkhus will recite some Parittas and one of them will give advice to the husband and wife. Buddha Himself gave advice to the maidens who were about to be married.
Also notable is The Bhikkhu's Rules: A Guide for Laypeople by Bhikkhu Ariyesako
Bhikkhu Ariyesako wrote: The major issue today seems more to center around divorce and the breakdown of marriage rather than arranging marriages. However one should note how these affairs can involve the bhikkhu and how he should guard against becoming too drawn in. (It is also noteworthy that this is considered one of the most serious offences.)

Ven. Udaayin caused this rule to be set down because he involved himself in arranging many marriages and liaisons. When some of these failed, they blamed him for the failure. The offence is summarized:

"Should any bhikkhu engage in conveying a man's intentions to a woman or a woman's intentions to a man, proposing marriage or paramourage — even if only for a momentary liaison — it entails initial and subsequent meetings of the Community. (Sangh. 5; BMC p.117)
A bhikkhu should not officiate at weddings,[48] except perhaps to chant a blessing afterwards and encourage the newly married couple to lead virtuous and faithful lives together based in generosity, virtue and meditation. He also has to be circumspect when counselling couples. (There is no offence in reconciling a married but estranged couple as long as they are not yet divorced.)

[48]: "It is mainly as a result of this guideline that bhikkhus do not perform marriage ceremonies, that is, a bhikkhu should not in any way be instrumental in actually formalizing the relationship. There is, however, no fault in blessing the couple after they are formally married or in reconciling an undivorced couple who have separated (Vin.III.144)." (HS ch.13)
The teaching is a lake with shores of ethics, unclouded, praised by the fine to the good.
There the knowledgeable go to bathe, and cross to the far shore without getting wet.
[SN 7.21]
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

I think it's inappropriate to expect a celibate person to be involved in weddings and births etc.

In Thailand it's common for the couple to give dana to monks around the time of the wedding but I've never heard of monks officiating at a wedding, if someone does officiate in that way sometimes it's a hindu priest.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

I think the question as you framed it in the title of this thread and what you have read in the book are two different things and can be answered differently.

It depends on why they would do it.
I think the above is viewing Buddhist practices as a position, not as skillful means.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.