A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
form

Re: Shravasti Dhammika

Post by form » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:35 pm

WorldTraveller wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:41 pm
SarathW wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:09 am
That rule will be a hindrance to progress rather than an aid.
Respectfully I have to disagree with you.
One meal a day is an aid to progress even though I do not follow the rule.
As a meditator, not eating at afternoon and night time helps very much and saves energy (less sloth & torpor too) that needs to spend on digestion.
Unless a monk do not need to do much physical work after noon. If the monk needs to do physical work which make him feel hungry afterwards, it will be a hinderance. Once a day eating is especially suitable for highly meditative monk. Meditative state will shut off the craving for food.

There are contents in the nikaya that the Buddha praise lean monks with veins showing under skin. But look around, many monks has big tummy despite if eating once a day.

StormBorn

Post by StormBorn » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:30 pm

Volovsky wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:49 am
SarathW wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:38 am
This is a hard one for me.
Once I forgot my Dana promised to a monk. The monk calls me at 11.00 am and said people are waiting for me. I asked for what. He said I promised to bring Dana for monks. I got ready quickly draw 80kkm and by the time I got close to the temple, it was 12.15. I went to the Chinese takeaway and got some food and went to the temple.
Chief monk ate the food. The assistant monk ate but with a grumpy face.
I am so grateful for both monks for accepting my food even if they have to break the Vinaya.
I like to know the opinion form monks in this forum.
I don't want to say that monk who broke the rule should necessarily be looked down. The bhikkhu might be in situation, when keeping the rule would make him feel more remorseful than breaking it. But when one monk criticizes another for strictly following Vinaya, that is strange...
I have seen this behavior mainly among monks who hate Vinaya. Why they hate it? As per my observations, they take Vinaya to be too strict for their defilements, or even in the worst cases they may have ended up being parajika monks. However, this is my personal viewpoint. :smile:
Volovsky wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:12 am
form wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:21 am
The last words of the Buddha did mention that minor rules can be changed and the reason why monk eat only before noon is well documented in the sutta. And, that is a minor rule.
Sangha can abolish the rules, not the individual monks. As far as I know, no community made use of the Buddha's allowance so far. Which means all rules are still to be followed.
If we consider Sangha as an ariya(s). Then, even an individual ariya can abolish (will they is another question). I personally think, a single ariya is far suitable and honest in that task than a group of thousand shameless monks.
form wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:35 pm
But look around, many monks has big tummy despite if eating once a day.
Perhaps, lack of physical exercise/movements or they are not just one meal eaters as advertised.
“Greater in battle than the man who would conquer a thousand-thousand men, is he who would conquer just one—himself.”

Volovsky

Post by Volovsky » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:52 pm

StormBorn wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:30 pm
Perhaps, lack of physical exercise/movements or they are not just one meal eaters as advertised.
Some other possible reasons: 1. diabetes (for Asian monks it's a serious issue, since they are more prone to it genetically), 2. too much junk food 3. strong adherents of cheese & chocolate as allowable "medicine" :quote: in the afternoon

StormBorn

Post by StormBorn » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:43 pm

Volovsky wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:52 pm
StormBorn wrote:
Some other possible reasons: 1. diabetes (for Asian monks it's a serious issue, since they are more prone to it genetically), 2. too much junk food 3. strong adherents of cheese & chocolate as allowable "medicine" :quote: in the afternoon
Last week some of my Asian friends attended several robe offering ceremonies (kathina). In several of them, devilled chicken and pork offered to the attending monks for meal (ranging from 50 to 100). My friends noticed the monks to be very fat with pot bellies, and many with missing toes due to diabetics! Also, they were given a bag each full of other stuff you mentioned to bring with them. The organizers told that the monks specifically requested the food items that should be offered. :shrug: :) When the practice isn't the main goal, they are not much different from the normal lay people.

However, I am glad that I know a few monks who are the total opposite of the above situation... :namaste:
“Greater in battle than the man who would conquer a thousand-thousand men, is he who would conquer just one—himself.”

form

Post by form » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:25 am

Volovsky wrote:
StormBorn wrote:
If choc and cheese are allowed after noon, i can also easily take "one" meal a day. How about whey protein drink with honey?

budo

Post by budo » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:28 am

Volovsky wrote:
StormBorn wrote:
Asians aren't more prone to diabetes because of their genetics, but because they eat a high amount of starches (rice). The more insulin you secrete, the more likely you'll become insulin resistant. If you're interested in the science, http://drrosedale.com/blog/2013/04/02/i ... rt-1-of-2/

StormBorn

Post by StormBorn » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:27 pm

form wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:25 am
Volovsky wrote:
StormBorn wrote:
If choc and cheese are allowed after noon, i can also easily take "one" meal a day. How about whey protein drink with honey?
Alternative "one meal" includes choc; cheese; milk; table spoons of a mixture of sugar, butter, gee, honey, molasses or them in a mug/bowl of tea/coffee. :tongue: Not all of these allowed in the afternoon for monks, even the allowed ones only if there is a sickness only.
budo wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:28 am
Volovsky wrote:
StormBorn wrote:
Asians aren't more prone to diabetes because of their genetics, but because they eat a high amount of starches (rice). The more insulin you secrete, the more likely you'll become insulin resistant. If you're interested in the science, http://drrosedale.com/blog/2013/04/02/i ... rt-1-of-2/
Currently identified T2D genetic variants do not appear to explain the phenomenon that Asians are more susceptible to T2D than European populations, suggesting further studies in Asian populations are needed.
Source

form

Post by form » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:08 pm

Ok. Can tell these are nutrition food for those that recovering from illness.

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:27 pm

"form" wrote: After 32 years, one will have the 32 marks of a great man.....
Have you read this ?

https://sujato.wordpress.com/2011/04/06 ... -32-marks/

:anjali:

form

Post by form » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:29 am

Aloka wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:27 pm
"form" wrote: After 32 years, one will have the 32 marks of a great man.....
Have you read this ?

https://sujato.wordpress.com/2011/04/06 ... -32-marks/

:anjali:
Thanks for the interesting reading.

For interest sake, i would like to point out there was a sutta in MN that account that the Buddha is capable of embedding his sexual organ into his body. At first, i take that as the same explanation as above. Only recently after i bought a copy of the sutta nipitta, i came across the same account in a chapter that is believed to be very ancient.

If anyone need to know the exact sutta, let me know. I will need to go and find it from the books.