Should online Bikkhus disclose their identity?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

1) Yes
57%
2) No
43%

Total votes: 23

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:03 pm

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

SarathW

Re: Should online Bikkhus disclose their identity?

Post by SarathW » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:04 pm

I voted yes.
There is no reason for a monk to hide their identity.
However, I do not expect this to be written to the terms of Dhamma Wheel.

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:16 pm

I elected "no" because there are bhikkhus who are very confused about the Buddha-Dhamma and their disclosure of identity can cause a loss in faith in the Sangha. Also, certain bhikkhus, particularly certain Western bhikkhus, are extremely dogmatic and have not received the proper training that a bhikkhu should maintain appropriate "boundaries" towards laypeople. These untrained bhikkhus tend to get into fights & quarrels with laypeople on forums, which again is improper conduct for a bhikkhu. I imagine the history of DW has seen a number of problematic bhikkhus posting on this forum, including bhikkhus being declared by other bhikkhus to be renegades or outside of the training (such as a certain bhikkhu from Finland or a well-known "samana"). If a bhikkhu is confused, it is probably best they post here anonymously and engage in discussions without any social pressure.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:28 pm

I see your point DD.
However, we should not expect Bikkhus to be expert in Sutta.
There could be an Arahant who does not have much knowledge in Sutta.
An ounce of practice is much better than the tons of knowledge.
I am sure there a lot of knowledgeable lay people in these forums.
But they lack practice.
So we should pay respect for the monks irrespective of their knowledge.
There are badly behaved monks so they will reap their own karma here and now.
We should encourage Sanga participation in these forums.
Perhaps Bikkhus learn from lay people as it happens in Buddha's time.
It is good if we have an environment a Bikkhu asking question from lay people.
I have seen some down to earth monks are not afraid to ask questions in this forum.

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:36 pm

I don't think its reasonable to ask anyone to disclose their identity online, even if it is just their dhamma name.

Volovsky

Post by Volovsky » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:49 pm

I said "yes", at least I would like to know who is bhikkhu, who is lay. Whether they disclose their names is less important.

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:05 am

i have to go with no because there is no "if they want to" option. I do think they should do as they see fit.
How to meditate: Anapanasati, Satipatthana.
Intro to General Semantics
Factors & Perceptions

Parallel Dhammapada Reading
Chinese to Eng Dhp
"The statements; 'With the remainderless stopping & fading of the six contact-media is it the case that there is anything else?' '.. is it the case that there is not anything else .. is it the case that there both is & is not anything else .. is it the case that there neither is nor is not anything else?' objectify non-objectification. However far the six contact-media go, that is how far objectification goes."

bksubhuti

Post by bksubhuti » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:14 am

lay people and monks should disclose their Identity. They should own up to what they say. especially those who attack others. They do that because there is no moral shame and no moral fear. That is how it flame and trolling happens.

JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:46 am

lay people and monks should disclose their Identity. They should own up to what they say. especially those who attack others. They do that because there is no moral shame and no moral fear. That is how it flame and trolling happens.
Yes, I totally agree with this. In fact, I'm super authoritarian on this issue. People should need to tie their online identities to real world identities such as passports or ID cards, use their full name as their username, and a passport photo as their avatar, so those people are legally responsible for everything they say and do online, and so the police can arrest anyone who leaves threatening comments on Twitter or Facebook.
But I know my view is an extreme outlier, shared by very few, and will never happen, that's okay.
It happens this way on one internet forum I am a member of, but it only has about 50 active members.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:05 am

as passports or ID cards
James the Giant is your name in the passport?
:tongue:

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:08 am

I used to frequent a forum where members could post in anonymous mode, it was a popular feature and led to people expressing opinions they would not have expressed publicly. I think there is a definite value in anonymity and nobody should be forced to reveal anything they don't want to reveal in general.
Last edited by rightviewftw on Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
How to meditate: Anapanasati, Satipatthana.
Intro to General Semantics
Factors & Perceptions

Parallel Dhammapada Reading
Chinese to Eng Dhp
"The statements; 'With the remainderless stopping & fading of the six contact-media is it the case that there is anything else?' '.. is it the case that there is not anything else .. is it the case that there both is & is not anything else .. is it the case that there neither is nor is not anything else?' objectify non-objectification. However far the six contact-media go, that is how far objectification goes."

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:12 am

JamesTheGiant wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:46 am
I'm super authoritarian on this issue. People should need to tie their online identities to real world identities such as passports or ID cards, use their full name as their username, and a passport photo as their avatar, so those people are legally responsible for everything they say and do online, and so the police can arrest anyone who leaves threatening comments on Twitter or Facebook.
is threatening to call the police a threatening comment? :)
Last edited by DooDoot on Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:41 am, edited 22 times in total.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:50 pm

Greetings,

"Should online Bikkhus disclose their identity?"

1) Yes
2) No
3) Let them decide for themselves

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

StormBorn

Post by StormBorn » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:16 am

I voted 'No'. Because it's everyone's personal preference, not only bhikkhus'. However, I kind of like WT's color code idea mentioned here. Color codes can be done without revealing the actual names, and might solve certain issues raised by the OP of that thread.
“Greater in battle than the man who would conquer a thousand-thousand men, is he who would conquer just one—himself.”

xofz

Post by xofz » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:24 am

Bhikkhus are kind of holy. If a person is actually a Bhikkhu, it is important to have Bhikkhu in the name to devote the ultimate trust to.
becoming aware!