Upholding metta sutta

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
befriend

Upholding metta sutta

Post by befriend »

Chanting the karaniya metta sutta for a few hours a day makes me happy, is it wrong practice to chant the metta sutta because it makes me happy? It also makes me friendlier and gives my mind something wholesome to do in my spare time. And obviously reduces hatred in my conciousness.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
befriend

Re: Upholding metta sutta

Post by befriend »

Is this tanha or Chanda? Is craving for spiritual happiness wholesome? I also do mindfulness.
befriend

Post by befriend »

My intention should be to reduce hate.
budo

Post by budo »

There is a sutta where a bunch of women go up to the Buddha and say something along the lines of "We want to continue wearing perfumes and make up and to keep doing what we enjoy to do, what is one thing that we can practice?" and the Buddha responds with Brahma Viharas.

In other words, it's better than doing nothing.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Joy is a factor of awakening. Pleasure in general is also a motivating force to continue to do whatever brought in that pleasure. So doing wholesome things that bring pleasure, like developing Metta and chanting the Metta Sutta, is practical because you’re likely to keep doing it. Desire for developing the wholesome and experiencing blameless forms of happiness is wholesome desire. Keep up the good work.

:thumbsup:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

It's great that you are enjoying chanting the metta sutta. You shouldn't feel this is a wrong kind of desire, it's the right kind of desire.

Keep up with your practice!
befriend

Post by befriend »

Thanks friends I get confused a lot about Buddhist practice theory.
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

befriend wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:34 pm Thanks friends I get confused a lot about Buddhist practice theory.
I agree that what you are doing is wholesome practice.
I assume it is helping with other aspects of the path such as generosity and non-harming.
However, you might balance it some with vipassana/satipatthana now or in the future (if you are not already).
Be well, befriend.
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

This sutta absolutely has this effect I find, of reducing ill-will. If that is what you are using it for, then I don't see the harm in chanting it both in Pali and in your native language. :anjali: