Near death experiences

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
TRobinson465

Near death experiences

Post by TRobinson465 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:18 pm

Hello,

What are your thoughts on near death experiences? Most NDEs have 3 common scenarios. A place of light and joy. A place of darkness and suffering. Or a simple out of body experience. Do you think these are real or is the "near death" brain playing tricks. I'm particularly interested in your thoughts of the out of body experience ppl often report. As this doesnt seem to fit into any of the 31 planes of existence. I was thinking this maybe what happens when ppl are supposed to be taken to king Yama by the hell wardens or something.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"At Varanasi, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

"Go forth, monks, for the good of the many, for the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the good and the happiness of gods and men. Let no two of you go in the same direction." - First Khandhaka, Chapter 11, Vinaya.

Bhante Sudewa Thero

Re: Near death experiences

Post by Bhante Sudewa Thero » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:04 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Bhante Sudewa Thero on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:07 pm

Bhante Sudewa Thero wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:04 pm
TRobinson465 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:18 pm
Hello,

What are your thoughts on near death experiences? Most NDEs have 3 common scenarios. A place of light and joy. A place of darkness and suffering. Or a simple out of body experience. Do you think these are real or is the "near death" brain playing tricks. I'm particularly interested in your thoughts of the out of body experience ppl often report. As this doesnt seem to fit into any of the 31 planes of existence. I was thinking this maybe what happens when ppl are supposed to be taken to king Yama by the hell wardens or something.
I did not experience anything and have nothing in common with what you here mentions. It happened during cancer emergency treatment last year.
Im not talking about your specific experiences or anyone here's specific experiences. Although if you did have a NDE it would be great if you can share.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"At Varanasi, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

"Go forth, monks, for the good of the many, for the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the good and the happiness of gods and men. Let no two of you go in the same direction." - First Khandhaka, Chapter 11, Vinaya.

dadio

Post by dadio » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:10 pm

How shure are jou about the existance ofthe 31 planes of existence?

It's possible NDE is a mental phenomenon?

I'm not able to give a concrete answer to such questions from peronal experiance, so I try to have no opinion.

I have an opinion about philosifying over such things...
It's better people don't philosify about such things. All arguments are arbitrary... and such discussions tend to heat up over nothing meaningfull.

budo

Post by budo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:15 pm

My own personal belief is that NDE is sati (mindfulness) being activated allowing one to remember.

- 8 years ago I was hospitalized for 3 months due to a disease and I was near death, I had a surgery and was completely unconscious. When I came back to consciousness I had the most blissful feeling I've ever had in my life. I almost wanted to be "knocked out" again so that I could experience it again.

- During intense meditation retreats and long bouts of jhana meditation at home, I would have extremely strong mindfulness to the point that I never fully slept at night, I could recall extremely vivid dreams, more vivid than regular dreams that felt realer than real life, I use the analogy of these vivid dreams being 4K quality video, whereas regular dreams are like 240p youtube quality. These dreams gave me the impression of past life memories because they were so detailed and there were people I never met before but I had the impression of knowing, like 2 dogs and a friend and family photos in these dreams. Also in one of these past life dreams I saw myself die and the stairs of heaven made of feathers descend from a sparkle in the sky, and I also saw one of the "Creation" realm heavens.

Also when I was younger around the age 11-12 I had a vivid dream, so vivid I could see each blade of grass and castles in the background, I was so sure this was my past life, I saw my past life wife, my child, and it was like I had amnesia that faded away and I could see my family one last time to say a final goodbye, and I was so sad that I forgot about my wife and child and was so happy to be with them and they were happy to be with me. When I woke up I told my parents that I saw my wife and child. Yes these could be hallucinations created by the mind, but the feeling told me that I knew these people at an intimate level.

So yes, I think it all comes down to sati and strong concentration and that NDE's are simply cases where Sati is activated during those moments.

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:06 pm

Thanissaro Bhikkhu has a very interesting story about almost dying by electrocution in Thailand early on in his life. He talks about it during his dhamma talks and it really is quite fascinating. Particularly of interest is that he could see his mind trying to find "somewhere else" to go because he could tell he couldn't stay in the body. He likened this to the mind finding a place to be reborn. Because he was practicing meditation, he felt he had some degree of control over it. Not a classic "white light" experience, but really interesting none the less. TB seems to have been helped in his practice by this experience although I am sure at the time he didn't feel that way!

Bhante Sudewa Thero

Post by Bhante Sudewa Thero » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:39 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Bhante Sudewa Thero on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:47 pm

Near Death Experience - Research Foundation

viewtopic.php?t=31342

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:35 pm

dharmacorps wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:06 pm
Thanissaro Bhikkhu has a very interesting story about almost dying by electrocution in Thailand early on in his life. He talks about it during his dhamma talks and it really is quite fascinating. Particularly of interest is that he could see his mind trying to find "somewhere else" to go because he could tell he couldn't stay in the body. He likened this to the mind finding a place to be reborn. Because he was practicing meditation, he felt he had some degree of control over it. Not a classic "white light" experience, but really interesting none the less. TB seems to have been helped in his practice by this experience although I am sure at the time he didn't feel that way!
I think this experience is not in line with the Buddha's teaching.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”